Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exclamation 9mm/makarov question

I accidentally loaded 9mm bullets in makarov cases using 9mm dies. Can they be shot without any damage to the gun or shooter?

Default Re: 9mm/makarov question

i imagine theres a good taper going on.

IMHO, I wouldnt.
    a slow death awaits you,but not before love reminds you that there is good in you

(Allegheny County)

NO! the mak isn't a true 9MM.
    MORDENTE MEUM

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    I accidentally loaded 9mm bullets in makarov cases using 9mm dies. Can they be shot without any damage to the gun or shooter?
    Good question.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Bucks County)

I go the other way...trim 1mm off a 9mm to make a 9x18. The rounds you made will likely chamber and fire, the cases headspace on the taper and that will remain unchanged.

How many rounds did you make and how hot is the load? If its just a few pull them. If you made 100 and its a light load I would be tempted to try it. But its your decision (and your fingers).

Where did you get a bunch of reloadable 9x18 brass? I would be happy to take those pesky cases off your hands so it doesn't happen again...........

PS, if you soak a brass case in a weak cold blueing solution it will turn black. I mark all my trimmed Mak cases that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    I go the other way...trim 1mm off a 9mm to make a 9x18. The rounds you made will likely chamber and fire, the cases headspace on the taper and that will remain unchanged.

How many rounds did you make and how hot is the load? If its just a few pull them. If you made 100 and its a light load I would be tempted to try it. But its your decision (and your fingers).

Where did you get a bunch of reloadable 9x18 brass? I would be happy to take those pesky cases off your hands so it doesn't happen again...........

PS, if you soak a brass case in a weak cold blueing solution it will turn black. I mark all my trimmed Mak cases that way.

I dont know how many slipped through, probably 10 out of 2500. A lot of .380 slipped through, they are easy to catch though,, there is no pressure on the press when they get resized. Back in 07 i bough 4000 9mm cases, i guess some makarov and .380 got in the mix. So far i only have about 3 mak cases and 10 or so .380. I just threw them in the scrap pile.

Edit: they are loaded with 5gns of bullseye.
    Last edited by bogey1; November 29th, 2014 at 02:18 PM.

. So far i only have about 3 mak cases and 10 or so .380. I just threw them in the scrap pile.

Edit: they are loaded with 5gns of bullseye.[/QUOTE]

When you get back from the hospital let us know what kind of velocity 5grs. o Bullseye gives you out of a .380. lol
    I would just pitch all of them.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

(Bucks County)

The only difference between a 9x18 and a 9mm case is its 1mm shorter and the Mak bullet diameter is .365 (vs. .356). The cases are otherwise identical. It will easily be resized back to the original 9mm taper.

Since you only have a few I would just toss all the 9x18 cases. I wouldn't worry too much if one slips thru. I don't think you will blow up (famous last words). It probably happens more than you think when buying reloads.

If you shoot a 9mm load in a .380 you WILL blow up. Its because .380's are usually blow backs. Shooting that same load in a regular 9mm is OK because the firearm is designed for higher pressure. As long as the bullet isn't seated deeper in the case I don't see how a 1mm shorter case will give any higher pressure.
    Last edited by Delkal; November 29th, 2014 at 03:14 PM.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post

No.

Please consider what you've done....

You've taken a straight walled case - the 9mm Makarov has a case taper of .04 mm and changed it to a case with a case taper of .28mm (9mm NATO).

You've complicated things by substituting a bullet that has a base diameter that is .2mm less than what the bore is specified to take.

Your case capacity, bullet pull and obturation could be anything. There is no way to tell without taking measurements...

You could have too much pressure. You could have too little pressure. You could have over pressure. You could have a squib load.

Worse, since you're fixing to use an unlocked breech action, any failure to obturate means that the base is going to come through the path of least resistance, through the open breech. Maybe just some hot cases. Maybe some of material from the brass case.

If you were going to use a pressure barrel with universal receiver, behind barriers, I might say, "Sure, have a go at it. Let us know what you measure."

Since you're asking to load these into a handheld firearm I'd urge you to reconsider. If we were at the range I'd ask you to reconsider. If you persisted I'd run as fast I could go.

I would toss everyone of those things into the trash. Immediately. Do not even stop to take a leak. Toss them out now. Into the trash.

Everyone makes mistakes. The key to not getting killed by them is to make routine checks. Keep components and dies separate.

One type of round at a time. New setups each time.

Thank you for asking this question, Bogey.

Please - into the trash. Right away.
    Last edited by GeneCC; November 29th, 2014 at 10:09 PM.

2 words ~ BULLET PULLER!

Every reloader should have a hammer-type inertia bullet puller so ya can disassemble suspect rounds , lest ye lose track or are tempted to fire them. They're less than $20. Much cheaper than an ER visit , or replacement pistol.
    Last edited by abner13; November 30th, 2014 at 08:33 AM.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast