Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: 9mm/makarov question

Quote Originally Posted by West Chester View Post
    9mm Headspaces on the case mouth. 9mm makarov being 1mm shorter is asking for trouble.

Are you sure a 9mm headspaces on the mouth? I thought it was from a datum point on the taper. Yes, if a round is too long it will not chamber but I don't' see how headspacing on case length can be that exact. Most manuals say trim 0.010 shorter than max and for most cartridges that would be excessive headspace.......The difference between a No-go and a Field gauge!

FYI, trimming 1mm = 0.025 in. Not that much of a difference from a freshly trimmed 9mm.

I agree its prudent to pull the bullets the bullets you found but your not going to blow up if you miss one. If that was the case no-one would sell 9mm reloads. This does happen more often than you think and the liability would be too great.
    Last edited by Delkal; December 1st, 2014 at 06:25 PM.

(Chester County)

Yes I am sure...

For straight wall rimless cases such as the 9mm Luger, headspace is controlled by the case mouth butting up against a corresponding ledge (chamber cartridge stop) within the chamber of the firearm.

Headspace is important for the proper and safe operation of a firearm. Problems occur when the headspace is either too long or too short. This may be the result of the firearm itself or the improperly sized ammunition used in the firearm. If the headspace is too short the bottom of the cartridge will protrude out of the chamber and preventing the action from closing or causing firing pin firing problems. If it is too long, the case may experience excessive stretching and deformation upon firing.
    http://www.tannersbrass.com/headspace.aspx
    Hoplophobia is funny

Wink Re: 9mm/makarov question

Quote Originally Posted by phill View Post
    . So far i only have about 3 mak cases and 10 or so .380. I just threw them in the scrap pile.

Edit: they are loaded with 5gns of bullseye.
    When you get back from the hospital let us know what kind of velocity 5grs. o Bullseye gives you out of a .380. lol
    I would just pitch all of them.[/QUOTE]
    LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

I was gonna suggest you letting us know how it went after you get back from the ER, but he beat me to it.

I recommend:
    1. pull the bullets, save the powder and reload them correctly, or .

2. tell us where you got boxer brass fer MAK loading..or,

3. do what I do..LOOK carefully at all "9mm" brass, incl a look into the case to see if it is Berdan primed..(so U won't break off a decapping pin). Hint..I do the same for .38 and /357 to keep from getting them mixed up

It slows you down a bit, but daggone, it is safer.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fred762 View Post
    3. do what I do..LOOK carefully at all "9mm" brass, incl a look into the case to see if it is Berdan primed..(so U won't break off a decapping pin). Hint..I do the same for .38 and /357 to keep from getting them mixed up

It slows you down a bit, but daggone, it is safer.
    How to detect Berdan primers....

Boxer primers use a built in "anvil".

Berdan primers use a pin or post inside of the primer pocket.

Boxer primed rounds almost universally have a flash hole in the center of the base of the case.

Berdan primed rounds will have flash holes off center. Most have two holes offset from the center.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fred762 View Post
    When you get back from the hospital let us know what kind of velocity 5grs. o Bullseye gives you out of a .380. lol
    I would just pitch all of them.
    LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

I was gonna suggest you letting us know how it went after you get back from the ER, but he beat me to it.

I recommend:
    1. pull the bullets, save the powder and reload them correctly, or .

2. tell us where you got boxer brass fer MAK loading..or,

It slows you down a bit, but daggone, it is safer.[/QUOTE]

To answer #2. Starline in the "good old days", plus Fiocchi recovered brass from commercial loads.

Dave_N

(Chester County)

Starline, and Prvi Partisan, and maybe some others make boxer primed, brass cases for the 9MM Makarov.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot321 View Post
    Starline, and Prvi Partisan, and maybe some others make boxer primed, brass cases for the 9MM Makarov.
    Winchester Metric, Sellier and Belliot, Prvi Partisan, Hornady, and Buffalo Bore all sell reloadable boxer primed ammunition for the 9x18mm. Some allege that S&B makes Winchester Metric. They do have similar looking green colored "trays" for the rounds.

Starline brass is sometimes tough to find. I've personally never seen Prvi Partisan brass but their online catalog shows it as item C-215.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123