Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: 9mm/makarov question

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    2 words ~ BULLET PULLER!

Every reloader should have a hammer-type inertia bullet puller so ya can disassemble suspect rounds , lest ye lose track or are tempted to fire them. They're less than $20. Much cheaper than an ER visit , or replacement pistol.
    My thought exactly. Plus you get to re-use the components. ALL my suspect rounds get pulled which are few and far between as I am still using a single stage press.

Ive got one, must have hammered out 100 in the last week (bad primer station on my press, all fixed now).

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    I accidentally loaded 9mm bullets in makarov cases using 9mm dies. Can they be shot without any damage to the gun or shooter?
    9mm Headspaces on the case mouth. 9mm makarov being 1mm shorter is asking for trouble.

Consider this a valuable lesson. More time prep inspecting cases and less time cranking on the press and you will be safer longer. Obviously you didn't inspect the cases at all. Are you sure all primer pockets are clear of debris? No cracked cases made it into the mix?
    Hoplophobia is funny

Quote Originally Posted by West Chester View Post
    9mm Headspaces on the case mouth. 9mm makarov being 1mm shorter is asking for trouble.

Consider this a valuable lesson. More time prep inspecting cases and less time cranking on the press and you will be safer longer. Obviously you didn't inspect the cases at all. Are you sure all primer pockets are clear of debris? No cracked cases made it into the mix?
    Nope. I'm not looking over 4000 pieces of brass to see if there is a crack or flash hole blockage (actually i can see the cracks while reloading, found none on the 9mm though). I don't worry too much about small caliber bullets as much as i do with the big caliber (50bmg). When i load them in a magazine is when i'll be looking for the mak's. All i check for is primer seating, and bullet seating after loading. I highly doubt one or two rounds is going to kill me, maybe a steady diet of these things isn't so good.

As i said, I'll check when i load my mags.

(Chester County)

Well then it seems like you have a solid grasp on reloading. Keep using those methods and I will eagerly await your " my reloads failed post"
    Hoplophobia is funny

Thumbs down Re: 9mm/makarov question

I highly doubt one or two rounds is going to kill me

I ain't even going there.
    a slow death awaits you,but not before love reminds you that there is good in you

(Westmoreland County)

Nope. I'm not looking over 4000 pieces of brass to see if there is a crack or flash hole blockage (actually i can see the cracks while reloading, found none on the 9mm though).
    Some of us have reloaded tens of thousands of rounds. We inspected them all. We didn't do them all at once.

I don't worry too much about small caliber bullets as much as i do with the big caliber (50bmg). When i load them in a magazine is when i'll be looking for the mak's. All i check for is primer seating, and bullet seating after loading. I highly doubt one or two rounds is going to kill me, maybe a steady diet of these things isn't so good.

As i said, I'll check when i load my mags.
    You should focus on loading a magazine when you load a magazine. You should focus on your practice of shooting when you shoot.

You should inspect cases before you devote the time to reloading them so that you time and materials are not wasted.

(Westmoreland County)

Attitude is a big part of reloading. Much like other detailed oriented tasks you have to focus on the little stuff.

For a long time I did not bother with primer pockets. The consistency of my work suffered.

Disclaimer - I've made my living doing detailed work. You take care of the small details then the big details tend to sort themselves out.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    2 words ~ BULLET PULLER!

Every reloader should have a hammer-type inertia bullet puller so ya can disassemble suspect rounds , lest ye lose track or are tempted to fire them. They're less than $20. Much cheaper than an ER visit , or replacement pistol.
    I agree.

I figure a guy who doesn't want to examine every case for cracks probably won't want to use an Inertial bullet puller. Easier for him to just can them. Safer for him too.

If i find one with a crack before or after its loaded, it gets scrapped or taken apart and the components get reused. I DO check every round before it goes into storage. I'm not a competition shooter, just a plinker.
    I also do detailed work for a living.
    And i also use and own an inertia puller and collet puller.
    Thanks for the advice though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast