Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Do I need a stiffer belt?

When I first got my CCW a few years back I invested in a basic black Beltman belt and it has served me very well. By this point it's taken on the curve of my midsection (read: gut) and with a loaded G19, I can feel the holster dragging down. Not so much it feels like it's falling off but enough it's annoying and I keep wanting to hike my pants back up. I can cinch it a hole tighter than I normally wear it and it seems to help but it still falls ever so slightly. Plus it's a little bit more uncomfortable. Seeing as the belt lost it rigidity a little, would I be best off buying another belt (maybe a reinforced one?) or would that not help a whole lot?

(Berks County)

Default Re: Do I need a stiffer belt?

Quote Originally Posted by EB85 View Post
    When I first got my CCW a few years back I invested in a basic black Beltman belt and it has served me very well. By this point it's taken on the curve of my midsection (read: gut) and with a loaded G19, I can feel the holster dragging down. Not so much it feels like it's falling off but enough it's annoying and I keep wanting to hike my pants back up. I can cinch it a hole tighter than I normally wear it and it seems to help but it still falls ever so slightly. Plus it's a little bit more uncomfortable. Seeing as the belt lost it rigidity a little, would I be best off buying another belt (maybe a reinforced one?) or would that not help a whole lot?
    I started carrying regularly back near the end of 2010 and bought a belt from Bullhide Belts to hold up the weight of my S&W 686. Got one that was 1/4" thick and it's served me well this whole time. Daily wear, carrying upwards of 12 hours a day, and the belt hasn't shown any deterioration. I clean and condition the leather every few months or so, and it just keeps truckin'. The price seemed a bit much when I first bought it (Starting at around $60), but considering I used to go through belts every year with just casual wear, it's a real investment.

(Allegheny County)

When you say a "basic belt" is it one of their standard 1/4" dual layered belts? I have never seen one of those break down but there is always a first. If you just ordered a real thick belt, I would suggest a nice double layered belt.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by EB85 View Post
    Taking the risk of getting you pissed off, my opinion is simple.

3 Years ago I weighed 215 pounds (36 inch waist, 205 pounds, at 5'10"). I had a gut and my IWB and OWB holsters were hard to use because of the fact that I had a a fat belly. No belt was going to change that. So I decided to lose weight and and trim down. Today, with a 34 inch waist, 170 pounds at 5'10" I have no holster problems. OWB and IWB work great. No belt is going to compensate for being overweight and having belly fat.

Sorry to be so blunt, but that is how I see it. I did it, So can you.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Taking the risk of getting you pissed off, my opinion is simple.

3 Years ago I weighed 215 pounds (36 inch waist, 205 pounds, at 5'10"). I had a gut and my IWB and OWB holsters were hard to use because of the fact that I had a a fat belly. No belt was going to change that. So I decided to lose weight and and trim down. Today, with a 34 inch waist, 170 pounds at 5'10" I have no holster problems. OWB and IWB work great. No belt is going to compensate for being overweight and having belly fat.

Sorry to be so blunt, but that is how I see it. I did it, So can you.
    It's all good. I know I should lose a few pounds. There's no secret about it. At 5'8" and 180 pounds, I'm not overly fat but I know it wouldn't hurt in the least.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCityK9Cop View Post
    When you say a "basic belt" is it one of their standard 1/4" dual layered belts? I have never seen one of those break down but there is always a first. If you just ordered a real thick belt, I would suggest a nice double layered belt.
    It was a 1 1/2" dual layer belt. I wouldn't say it broke down because it's still plenty stiff but it feels like it's drooping under the weight of a Glock. I'll try running it a notch tighter than I normally do and see how that fares.

If your current drink is not getting you intoxicated then yes, you need a stiffer belt.

Sorry, a poor attempt at humor

(Chester County)

The type of leather matters the most. Latigo leather is fairly supple has a bit of give. Harness leather is very stiff and weather resistant it will be quite some time before a harness leather belt gets any droop.

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/e...r-9060-65.aspx
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

Sounds to me like you need to carry a lighter gun.

(Philadelphia County)

Huh.
    I have a Beltman dual-layer belt, and have carried an 8+1 SIG P-245 everyday for three years, with nary a problem. The belt did take the natural curve, as all belts tend to do, but it's held up well, and probably will for several years to come.

If you're a big guy, I suggest you look into a 1-1/2" horsehide dual-layer belt. Horsehide is stiff, more so than bull-hide (standard Beltman belts).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast