Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northumberland County)

Default hunting rifle capacity

i understand that semi autos are not legal for hunting in PA, except for disabled persons, and for shotguns during turkey season; my question is are there capacity restrictions for lever actions or pump actions? Would a 10 + 1 pump gun or lever gun be legal to hunt with there. I live in Colorado, but grew up in PA; I haven't hunted there since 1993 and can't remember nor can i find anything in the PA rules and regs that states the legality one way or the other.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: hunting rifle capacity

Quote Originally Posted by gettyleigh View Post
    i understand that semi autos are not legal for hunting in PA, except for disabled persons, and for shotguns during turkey season; my question is are there capacity restrictions for lever actions or pump actions? Would a 10 + 1 pump gun or lever gun be legal to hunt with there. I live in Colorado, but grew up in PA; I haven't hunted there since 1993 and can't remember nor can i find anything in the PA rules and regs that states the legality one way or the other.
    Theres no ammo limit set in Title 34 Game Laws for manually operated rifles while big-game hunting. ..not that one would need that many rounds to take a deer.

Game Commission Ranges have a limit though.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Indiana County)

not that one would need that many rounds to take a deer.
    Depends on how good, or bad, a shot the person is.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    Depends on how good, or bad, a shot the person is.
    lol true..

I just have a cynical outlook on the topic only having needed 1 bullet each time to do the job. Proud to be a single shot open sight big game hunter.

Discussion for another I guess.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lackawanna County)

6 rounds for big game, i.e. manually operated rifle or pistol. Shotguns used for small game have a 3 round max.
    "Guess what?! I got a fever, and the only prescription... is more cowbell!"

(Luzerne County)

The only magazine limitation I am aware of is for the shotguns. I've never seen a limitation on rifles. Of course, the PGC likes to bury laws where it is difficult to find.

This is from the 2008-2009 digest;

Firearms - Magazine Capacity: It is unlawful to hunt small game, furbearers, turkeys, waterfowl or crows with a manual or autoloading shotgun unless the magazine is limited to a two-shell capacity. A plug must be a one-piece filler installed so it cannot be readily removed without disassembling the gun or magazine.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    The only magazine limitation I am aware of is for the shotguns. I've never seen a limitation on rifles. Of course, the PGC likes to bury laws where it is difficult to find.

This is from the 2008-2009 digest;

Firearms - Magazine Capacity: It is unlawful to hunt small game, furbearers, turkeys, waterfowl or crows with a manual or autoloading shotgun unless the magazine is limited to a two-shell capacity. A plug must be a one-piece filler installed so it cannot be readily removed without disassembling the gun or magazine.
    edited by me, I have my reasons....

thanks
    Last edited by chesire17201; January 28th, 2009 at 09:45 AM.

(Venango County)

I've never been checked, but I usually drop 7 in the pipe on the old Winchester

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

(Northumberland County)

LOL! Knight! Yeah that was pretty funny! Not as funny as watching you spend the weekend chasing down your animal because you weren’t prepared to take the second shot . . . Doh! Growing up in PA, my tool was my Grandpa’s 1906 12 gauge Crescent SxS, because it worked for that 100 yard environment; being that it is an heirloom I decided to make it a wall hanger. Without sounding rude, crude, and totally social-ably unacceptable, Knight your welcome to come on out here to Colorado where you average shot is going to be 250-300 yards and see if your record stays with you for long. There is some thick woods here, but every time I seen a herd of elk they been out in the clear or above timberline where there are no trees, and far from the fringes of the tree line. You may as well own a slingshot, if you're buying a single shot rifle IMHO. While you’re buying a hunting rifle, why not buy something that can be used for defense as well? Nonetheless, sooner or later, I’ll be moving back to PA so I’m looking ahead in my choices. Amongst my collection I have a Ruger .44 carbine (4+1) that would probably be perfect for the density of the woods in PA but it’s a semi – auto. It‘s legal to hunt with a semi here; as well I have a REM 700 in 30- 06 too that’d be legal there, but I want to buy a new toy, and being that I have enough semi’s . . . can’t believe I just said that . . . I am looking at pumps and levers. Anyways . . . . . . Being that I got conflicting answers . . . . DCChris what is your source of information?

“Proper planning prevents piss poor performance

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    So what if you are using a Shotgun to hunt deer? I've been asked on several occasions by my uncles in Erie to join them for deer season now that I have a shotgun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast