Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Training with the M1a

Does anyone know of anyone that offers training specifically for the M1a??? Preferably in PA.

(Indiana County)

Default Re: Training with the M1a

Hop in your TARDIS (if you're a Doctor Who fan) and pop back to Fort Jackson, South Carolina in January of 1967. The U.S. Army gave me plenty of training with a non-auto M-14 back then. 400 yards, iron sights, sunnamagun!

(Westmoreland County)

We've toyed with the idea of bringing Randy Cain to Pittsburgh from time to time for just such a class but like most specialty classes, it is difficult to achieve adequate enrollment.

Best bet is to google < battle rifle classes > and see what turns up.

(Monroe County)

What kind of training? How to work on it or how to shoot?
    What kind of shooting?
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Washington County)

I would suggest taking a carbine class with Three Rivers Tactical Training in the spring: http://www.3riverstraining.com/

I know one person has taken John's class with an M1A and enjoyed it. The fundamentals of a rifle are common across different rifles then John is capable of addressing your needs while teaching a class mostly focused on the AR platform.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Montgomery County)

In 1961 I went through boot camp in the Corps. We trained with the M1, and we had to qualify with it and be able to field strip it an reassemble it in ( I think it was) 2 minutes. It was an easy rifle to shoot and maintain, and it had amazing reliability on top of being very accurate even at 500 yards. We had to qualify at 500 and 250 years. The windage and elevation controls were simple and reliable.

The Army was fully on the M14 by 1962. The Corps was fully on it by 1965. (Marines get seconds.) I was never issued an M14 because when I was assigned to battalion recon I was issues an M3A1 and M1911. But Marines who were transitioning to the M14 usually mourned the loss of their M1s.

I don't know where you can take an M1 class, but if you cannot find a suitable class, look for the old (1960s) M1 training manual. With it you can master the M1 in a few hours. It is that simple. Shooting it is a joy enhances by a sight system that was then unrivaled.

Good luck and enjoy the rifle that won WWII.

(Lancaster County)

Thanks for the replies guys. Alas, my time machine is on the fritz. Unfortunately I am 4f like John Wayne. So no field trips to Ft Ord or Parris Island circa 62' for me.
    Rosco I am looking more for a shooting class than a gunsmithing class. I would just like to go through proper sighting in and set up of the rifle as well as shooting out to 400-500 yrds using irons and my marginal eyes.

(York County)

I found Scott Duffs book on the M1A to be indespensible. If you are looking to not only understand the workings of the rifle, but also to hear it's history and know how to accurize it, I can heartily recommend this book. It really helped me. I knew nothing about the rifle before I bought it. http://www.amazon.com/owners-guide-m.../dp/188872207X
    There used to be a wealth of information on Fulton Armory's website, also. In addition, there is safety info every owner should know, especially if realoading ammo for the rifle. There are ways to end up taking the rifle home in a very small box if you don't know what to look for. Out of battery ignitions and slam fires, while rare, are not unheard of. Best to know how to prevent those.

(Lancaster County)

Scott Duffs book on the M14 is amazing...I own it. It has been quite useful.
    I have learned alot from it. Fulton Armory's site was/is another wonderful source of info. Really dig www.m14tfl.com too.Thing is I learn better with a combo of hands on and book learning. Hence the question about training.

Look for your local range that does NRA hi power matches you can typically find guys that compete that will teach you what your are looking to know and it's fun. I shot hi power with a M1A for years and got a good anout of knowledge this way and it was for free.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast