• Dual Illuminated

6 50.00%
  • LED

0 0%
  • LED adjustable brightness

6 50.00%
    (York County)

Default Trijicon RMR recomendations

I'm looking to buy a Trijicon RMR to be mounted on a handgun. To all those who have used them before, what model do you recomend? There are 3 options, dual illuminated with tritium/fiber optic, LED, and LED with adjustable brightness.

I'm leaning toward the dual illuminated model because it appears to be the cheapest. The only downside is the smallest reticle is 7moa whereas the LED model can have a 3.5moa dot. Would I really need that much precision on a handgun tho? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Default Re: Trijicon RMR recomendations

I personally would go with the dual illuminated RMR. My reasoning is because I prefer optics that does not require batteries. The half life on Trijicon products is very good and you will not need anything for many years.

I don't feel that dots are for precision...for me, the RMR gets you on target very fast. I feel that the 12.9 triangle RM08G would be more precise since you could use the tip of the triangle.

I had one on my AK74 and it was light,compact, and did the job that I needed from the RMR.

I know most would go with the adjustable/LED versions, but if I were in the market the dual illumination would be the one I'd purchase.

(Bucks County)

A couple years ago I had a RM02 with 6.5 MOA Red Dot installed on on of the G19s by L&M Precision Gunworks. It is a simple, non-adjustable model, but rugged as hell.

It takes some practice to get on target as fast as open sights, but it really shines on low probability targets.

I'd suggest you look at pistolforum.com where there is a long thread on RMRs on pistols. Very informative.

(York County)

I looked at one of the threads on pistolforum.com. It was mentioned quite a bit how the Tritium models fail when in darkness shooting into light. My range is outdoor with covers where you shoot, so the LED may be a better choice for me.

Does anyone have experience between the standard LED and adjustable?

Or those that have the standard LED, have you ever needed the dot to be brighter or dimmer?

(Chester County)

Having played with all of them I'd tell you to go with the LED non adjustable. Here's why.

The dual illuminated RMRs are a fantastic idea. In reality, there are some issues. The amber one is just plain hard to pick up outside. The green is easier to do so. Where they BOTH suffer, is if you are in a dimly lit area and are pointing the gun into a brightly light area. The dots both wash out and become hard to find, especially if you are trying to do it quickly.

The adjustable RMR is good. My only concern would be somehow potentially bumping it and changing the brightness of the dot.

I personally run a RM01 on my M&P and find it to be perfect for the role. Yea, I'll have to change the battery out once a year and confirm zero but that negative is outweighed by the benefits in my opinion. You also get the smaller dot which makes shooting steel at 100 yards easy.

Once you run a red dot on a handgun it changes everything.

If you have questions please do ask.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMoose View Post
    Having played with all of them I'd tell you to go with the LED non adjustable. Here's why.

The dual illuminated RMRs are a fantastic idea. In reality, there are some issues. The amber one is just plain hard to pick up outside. The green is easier to do so. Where they BOTH suffer, is if you are in a dimly lit area and are pointing the gun into a brightly light area. The dots both wash out and become hard to find, especially if you are trying to do it quickly.

The adjustable RMR is good. My only concern would be somehow potentially bumping it and changing the brightness of the dot.

I personally run a RM01 on my M&P and find it to be perfect for the role. Yea, I'll have to change the battery out once a year and confirm zero but that negative is outweighed by the benefits in my opinion. You also get the smaller dot which makes shooting steel at 100 yards easy.

Once you run a red dot on a handgun it changes everything.

If you have questions please do ask.

I totally agree with your post and repped you because that keystone on the top of your slide is really cool.

(York County)

SuperMoose that set up looks awesome! Thanks for the advice. I probably should have specified that it will only be used for range time so I think I will go for the adjustable model as I won't be concerned with bumping the controls.

(Berks County)

I have the adjustable LED and it is worth the price. Definitely a good investment. The adjustable controls are a plus as you can adjust them to your preference and brightness depending on light conditions. Bumping the sight will not change brightness. The adjustment button on the side of the unit requires a pretty firm press to adjust the brightness so you won't have any accidental adjustments.
    I learned a long time ago that reality was much weirder than anyone's imagination.--HST

(Allegheny County)

I have 2 of the adjustable models they work well