Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thumbs down LA City Council Tentatively OKs Mandatory Gun Locks, Digital Ammo Records

LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — The Los Angeles City Council tentatively approved a pair of new gun-control measures Tuesday, including a proposal to require gun owners to store their firearms in locked containers or use trigger locks to prevent accidental firing of the weapon.

The City Council also voted 11-0 in favor of a proposed ordinance (PDF) that would require licensed ammunition dealers to transmit sales records to the city via an online form, doing away with what one councilman described as the city’s “draconian” method of requesting physical records.

If given final approval by the council on second reading and signed by the mayor, the measure would make it a misdemeanor crime if retailers fail to comply with the reporting requirements.

San Francisco’s gun storage ordinance has withstood a challenge in the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, city officials said.

If both proposals are adopted, LA would become the first city in California to have two such measures on the books.

While ammunition dealers are currently required to keep their sale records for at least two years, they are not required to turn them in unless requested by police.

But Councilman Paul Krekorian, who helped author both measures, told KNX 1070 NEWSRADIO that a digital record could help save officers from having to parse through hundreds of pages of purchase records in hard copy when determining whether or not any of the buyers are prohibited from possessing ammunition.

“The LAPD actually has to go physically out to inspect those records and that’s incredibly time consuming, incredibly expensive,” said Krekorian.

Ammunition dealers would be able to fill out a form at LAPDonline.org to submit their ammunition records to the city.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2014/...-ammo-records/
    The USA is now a banana republic. Only without the bananas....or the Republic.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: LA City Council Tentatively OKs Mandatory Gun Locks, Digital Ammo Records

So happy I so rarely ever have to visit the land of fruits and nuts. Going to be hilarious when it is reduced to a population of incarcerations, the illegals, the loose criminals, and the ultra-rich Hollyweird types.

Hope they feed off each other like sharks in a bloody water frenzy.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Columbia County)

Default Re: LA City Council Tentatively OKs Mandatory Gun Locks, Digital Ammo Records

I will respond by saying thanks for the news bulletin but the whole state of California gave up their gun rights approx. twenty years ago when they passed their assault weapons ban (that encouraged other states and the federal government to do same). Since then that state’s legislature passed virtually every type of gun law. About a year ago the state passed an enhanced assault weapons ban that would have banned any rifle that accepts a magazine. The only reason why it did not come into effect was because their liberal anti-gun governor vetoed it. Keep in mind their original assault weapons ban is still in effect. From what I read, California’s population centers are nothing more then liberal Meccas and much of their rural population consists of aging hippies and whackos. The only way the gun owners of that state are coping with the laws is by finding ways to skirt them such as using bullet buttons. It is true that the state had two court rulings favorable to gun owners; one ruling overturned their waiting period and the other stating that applicants do not need to state a reason to apply for a carry license. However, California is extremely anti-gun, pro-gun, residents are outnumbered, and because of that any gun law that the state of CA or its municipalities pass would not surprise me.
    Last edited by eagleclaw; November 26th, 2014 at 03:13 AM. Reason: wording

(Montgomery County)

This makes me sick. Also on a personal level it may affect me soon too.

I'm probably going to get a great job offer in San Diego soon that would be very good for my career. At first I was lying to myself saying that I can deal with the laws because of the Peruta case. But....

1) San Diego sheriffs department is still not accepting self defense CCW applications until more time elapses. They are waiting until they absolutely have to process them (Orange County is processing now though).

2) CCW training requirements, cost, 2 year renewals, only 3 guns listed on permit to be carried..... Just too freakin much...

3) 10 round mags and bullet buttons, enough said

4) DOJ approved handgun purchase requirements

I'm sure there are more. It's going to have to be a good offer...

(Indiana County)

So what will L.A. officials do when people go outside of L.A. to purchase ammunition?

(Westmoreland County)

California - leading the way.... off of a cliff.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by eagleclaw View Post
    California’s population centers are nothing more then liberal Meccas and much of their rural population consists of aging hippies and whackos.
    I have quite a few relatives out that way. They're not wackos or aging hippies. The party organizations don't promote candidates who disagree with the world view of California Elites (cause money for campaigns comes from them).

Rural and suburban folks hide what they're doing or grumble and go along.

Criminals consider firearms "tools of the trade". They buy what they want to buy, do what they want do and either get caught or die.

The people who are being fooled are voters.

(Chester County)

California used to be a reasonably conservative state until the late 1980's. Then Reagan signed the Simpson-Mazzoli act that legalized 3 million new democrat voters. Any lesson learned from that mistake?
    Last edited by JenniferG; November 27th, 2014 at 08:56 AM.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Montgomery County)

It's such a shame because it is one of the most beautiful places on Earth. The entire pacific coastal highway is breathtaking. LA beaches are amazing. Even rural CA landscapes are gorgeous. 25% of the country's agriculture and 12% of the GDP means we can't just forget about it. But I'm afraid it's too far gone...