Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default How to deal with a trespassing hunter

I am in a quandary on how to deal with a trespassing hunter, and am looking for advice.

One of my neighbors asked if he could hunt my property. I told him sure, no problem. He came by Saturday to walk around and scout stand locations. He discovered a tree stand on my property.

The way my property is laid out, it is possible that the hunter has the OK to hunt an empty piece of land next to mine, and just went in too deep and ended up on my property. Both properties are completely wooded, so there is no clear property line that a person could see.

The person hunting here could be one of my other neighbors, and being new to the area, I really do not want to make any enemies over something this small.

There is a truck that I am guessing belongs to this hunter that parks on the public road sometimes.

I want to communicate to this person that they are on my land and that I would like them to remove their stand.

I have come up with the following:

Leave a note on the stand, with my number, and ask them to move the stand back 200 feet or so to the other property.

Leave a note on the truck I suspect is this hunter's, with basically the same information.

Depending on who the person is and how they act will determine whether I let them stay on the property. I would not have a problem if it is a neighbor, but if it is just some dude, really not interested in having them on my property.

So basically, if you had a stand up and saw a note like I wrote above, would that piss you off?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
    It's all fun and games, until someone loses an eye. Then it is hilarious.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: How to deal with a trespassing hunter

Quote Originally Posted by millsan1 View Post
    So basically, if you had a stand up and saw a note like I wrote above, would that piss you off?
    Personally, I be grateful that the landowner left me a polite note explaining the situation, instead of ambushing me with a gun/or shooting me over trespassing in his property.

I would then take the information down, and call the landowner to apologize and seeing if there anything that can be worked out in both of our favors.

But then again, that's just me.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    Personally, I be grateful that the landowner left me a polite note explaining the situation, instead of ambushing me with a gun/or shooting me over trespassing in his property.

I would then take the information down, and call the landowner to apologize and seeing if there anything that can be worked out in both of our favors.

But then again, that's just me.
    Yeah, I am sure the guy is just mistakenly on the property. Note is going to read something like this:

Hi. I am sure you don't realize this, but your stand is on my property. Please give me a call at xxxxxxx so we can discuss.
    It's all fun and games, until someone loses an eye. Then it is hilarious.

(Bucks County)

Leave a note with contact information and say this is on your property and you would like to go over property lines to clear up confusion .

Approach nice at first then go from there.

(Westmoreland County)

Yeah, a polite approach (if it were my tree stand) would be the best and the right one. After all, like you stated....if the guy simply has made a mistake and is willing to move it, and you have educated him as to the property line, then by talking to him you get a feel for what kind of guy he is. If he comes across as an ass-hat, then you know what to do.

A little story I would like to share: Years back I was hunting with a group, driving a side hill of about 300 acres, one in the group owns the property we where hunting (Mike). We had to cross a privately own parcel to get to another 300 acre stand. We unloaded our rifles and proceeded across an open area about 150 yards from the private house.
    At that time the owner came out, he was pretty upset with us treading across his property, and fairly irate. Every one in the group was apologetic and the fellow that owned the farm land Mike, spoke up in an effort to smooth things over.. He mentioned to the newer land owner we where just crossing over to the other tract and we all have unloaded weapons, and the home owner continued to spout about us trespassing, and everyone bit there tongue.

It was then that Mike asked the newer land owner where he hunts, he pointed up over the hill in the direction we where traveling, and said, he likes to hunt up in the back of the corn field, along some hedge row in the corner..

It was then Mike spoke up and said very clearly... "Not anymore you won't". That was that.. The private home owner shrugged his shoulders and started walking back to the house.

Not saying we where right in any way, but times sure have changed, as larger plots get broken up into smaller ones such as what happened here.. Typically, I always try to work with neighbors in my area, to allow hunting, in exchange that I may hunt their property as well.
    "North of I-80, we don't dial 911, we dial 223"

You catch more flies with honey, than you do vinegar. People tend to get very emotional over territory. If you approach someone nicely, they will more than likely react in kind, unless they are a prick, then fuck 'em. However, this guy may not realize he is in the wrong. Get his side before passing judgement. He may have had permission from the previous owner and was staying the course until told otherwise. He may just not have a clue. He could be a huge douche. Start off nice. Let your tone be a direct reflection of his attitude.

That's my advice .
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

You know, if this was Canada, you couldn't tell anyone to not hunt if they came onto your property by wading up a stream. (Yeah, I'm an ass).

I'd go the polite route and see what the guy does. Most people will say, even if they know that they were in the wrong, "Sorry, I didn't know." There are the few that will get angry that you tell them that they cannot use your property so I'd keep my eyes open for a while.

(Delaware County)

Polite to start. Note in ziploc bag with contact number. If note is gone and stand is still there and no call, take the stand and leave another note to contact you to get the stand back. Some times you have to get them arrested to make them stop.

(Bucks County)

Talking Re: How to deal with a trespassing hunter

Google "improvised ankle traps", then super-size it to handle a 250 lb man. You know the one I mean, tree bent over like a spring, rope that hangs to a loop on the ground, victim steps on it and flung into the next county. If you have the time, you could get a mannequin and weight it appropriately, and do some practice shots. If you know where he parks the truck, you could 'aim' him at it. With any luck at all, you wind up with him stuck in his windshield. Ooh ooh, I almost forgot. Make a way for him to get doused in gasoline as he flies through the trees and gets lit up just as he lands in the truck!!!

Wait, don't do that. I can't believe I said that. Too much watching Fergudishu and then I looked up and remembered , "I'm white, we don't do that, and I have to go to work now".

Disregard!! Carry on!!

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast