Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Warren County)

Default Re: Bullet suggestion: 30-30 lever gun

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    When a jacketed bullet opens it exposes a lead core and the front of it gets eroded. Round nose bullets are even worse, same as cast.

Don't worry, eating lead from bullets or shot will not hurt you anyway . Most people trim off the meat around the bullet hole. A tiny flake (or even a spoonful) goes right thru you. You are more likely to get exposed to lead shooting the bullets and not washing the powder residue off your hands. Its the lead salts and vapor that are tocic.

Yes, some birds can get sick from eating shot but thats because they have a gizzard. The shot sits there and gets corroded by digestive juices. Not a problem with mammals. A day (or two) after you eat a pellet, its being flushed.
    Yeah, people have been eating lead-shot critters for a LOOOOOOOOONg time.

Much of the lead hysteria is coming from the same crowd that is sure that we're all gonna DIEEEEE if we don't Do Something About Global Warming NOW!
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by dk99358 View Post
    I just read somewhere else that the deep curls were discontinued, not sure what Speer is doing since they weren't on the market very long as replacements for the Hot Cor.

That said, I usually reach for Hornady bullets for hunting purposes, at least to start with.

IMR 4350 is probably a bit slow for the 30-30, try something faster like Reloder 7 or 3031 (shudder, I hate the 'big stick' powders') you'll probably get faster ammo from a powder switch. But accuracy looks good so far.

Dale
    Thanks Dale,

Yes 4350 is about 100FPS slower than some powder. I suppose when i started reloading, I wanted to keep the same powder I was using for my 30.06 and never felt 100 FPS was enough of a difference to matter. I run 34 1/2 gr. The 30-30 is my most accurate gun even with the old Banner. I was going to get some better glass for it just to make out points at distance.

I actually download my .06 down from 59 to 57.5 gr of 4350 to tighten the groups for my old pump gun which I did get to just over 1 1/4" at 100. It was a 2 1/2" gun before that. I basically shoot at 100 or less and probably don't need to reload at all to do that.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Somerset County)

There's something to be said for keeping things simple with one powder. And a deer will never notice +/-100 fps.

Truth be told, I could probably get by with just IMR 4320 for all my reloading. On the other hand, one of the huge reasons IMO for reloading is the flexibility.

For example, when my son started to hunt, I loaded his 30-06 with 150 grain bullets and Reloder 7 to simulate the 30-30. After a couple of years, I went to enough H335 under the same bullet to simulate the 300 Savage. I'm now using Reloder 17 for full house rounds.

Good luck,

Dale

Cool Re: Bullet suggestion: 30-30 lever gun

I do it like this when I'm trying new loads: wander the shops or shows and look at the hi qual factory ammo offered..you can get some idea abt what works from the types of projectiles they sell. Remember yer using a relatively slow round with not great flight characteristics(round nosed) so yer choices are limited. It's about a 100 yd gun anyways, so IMHO the "best round" is the one i can afford that has decent accuracy. G'luck

(Montgomery County)

Loaded some with Hornadys 160 grain FTX and was very pleased with the results on the range. I will make another batch to take with me this week

(Chester County)

Here is a good plinking bullet 150gr Plated FP

http://www.xtremebullets.com/308-150...50fp-b0500.htm

Hoplophobia is funny

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by dk99358 View Post
    I just read somewhere else that the deep curls were discontinued, not sure what Speer is doing since they weren't on the market very long as replacements for the Hot Cor.

That said, I usually reach for Hornady bullets for hunting purposes, at least to start with.

Dale

Dale, the 170 gr Deep Curl flat nose is still an active part # as per Speer. Where they might be found is anyone's guess.

speerexpert
    Today at 2:35 PM

To

Hans: that is one of the few remaining DeepCurl bullets, part # 2042 is still an active part #.

Shoot Straight!
    Coy Getman
    2299 Snake River Ave.
    Lewiston, ID 83501
    Sr. Technical Coordinator
    Alliant/Blazer/CCI/Speer Bullets & Ammunition
    (800) 379-1732
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Somerset County)

That would be good to know except I have a 32 Spl, not a 30-30. The 32 is a much better cartridge

Dale

(Northampton County)

I was impressed with the 150gr Remington CoreLokt that I started reloading them. They grouped well from the start and with a powder work up, I was able to put three shots just off bull that touched. I also tried the 150gr Sierra Pro Hunter that worked very well. So now I have my go to round and a back up. BTW: I am using a Marlin 336a.
    ““Liberty is the right to choose. Freedom is the result of the right choice.””

-Anonymous

Jeff

(Northampton County)

I have also tried the 160gr FTX and found it to do what the cheaper bullets can do. I also don't usually shoot more than 100yds with it.
    ““Liberty is the right to choose. Freedom is the result of the right choice.””

-Anonymous

Jeff

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast