Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (York County)

Default Re: DC-contempt of court

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Is there an actual person that's being held in contempt of court? It would be really difficult to charge the entity known as the District of Columbia with contempt and actually jail it until it complies..
    It is easy to figure out who gets tossed into the pokey: which city officials voted to pass this new legislation without accommodating the court's order? These are the ones led away in cuffs.

Which solicitor of the city, who is supposed to be looking out for the city's interest, did not recommend they abide by the courts order? This would be the person who gets sued by those in jail if they were complicit in the passing of this banana republic legislation.
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jhaydeno View Post
    It is easy to figure out who gets tossed into the pokey: which city officials voted to pass this new legislation without accommodating the court's order? These are the ones led away in cuffs.

Which solicitor of the city, who is supposed to be looking out for the city's interest, did not recommend they abide by the courts order? This would be the person who gets sued by those in jail if they were complicit in the passing of this banana republic legislation.
    I won't hold my breath for any of that to happen. As we've seen, those in government are given opportunity after opportunity to "comply" without actually facing the consequences of failing to comply the first time. How many times was the Executive Branch in contempt of congress for failing to turn over required documents? Those in power get endless mulligans, whereas if you or I were to do that, we'd be sitting in jail the day after the ink dried on the contempt papers.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Northampton County)

Is there an actual person that's being held in contempt of court? It would be really difficult to charge the entity known as the District of Columbia with contempt and actually jail it until it complies
    I'll happily lend a hand.

(Jefferson County)

Is there an actual person that's being held in contempt of court? It would be really difficult to charge the entity known as the District of Columbia with contempt and actually jail it until it complies.

This is the primary problem with our governments today, no one being held personally responsible for their behavior, when they act this way, it's always the entity that's "punished". I would like to see the entire City council doing the frog walk into jail for this, but that ain't gonna happen.
    In such a situation, instead of jailing all of DC's city counsel and mayor - the judge could/would lift his injunction and DC would become constitutional carry since he ruled that portion of law was unconstitutional. ....plus fine them.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Westmoreland County)

Is there an actual person that's being held in contempt of court? It would be really difficult to charge the entity known as the District of Columbia with contempt and actually jail it until it complies.

This is the primary problem with our governments today, no one being held personally responsible for their behavior, when they act this way, it's always the entity that's "punished". I would like to see the entire City council doing the frog walk into jail for this, but that ain't gonna happen.
    Could they be arrested for conspiracy since they agreed as a body to violate people's rights?

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jhaydeno View Post

If I understand correctly, and GunLawyer will probably correct me if I'm wrong on this, it has more to do with who were the named parties as defendant in the lawsuit. If the new law doesn't comply with the judge's order, it's whoever's name and/or office is in the list of parties ruled against that can go to jail as they're the ones who were ordered to act. Chief Lanier is one of them specifically, I forget who else.

Pillorying them would be appropriate. They really need to bring that back as a form of punishment. It would be particularly interesting for weather like now and in major cities. Oh, it's a high crime area? Oops, too bad for them, should have thought of that before doing what they did, not our fault if something happens.
    Last edited by Yellowfin; November 24th, 2014 at 02:04 AM.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(York County)

I won't hold my breath for any of that to happen. As we've seen, those in government are given opportunity after opportunity to "comply" without actually facing the consequences of failing to comply the first time. How many times was the Executive Branch in contempt of congress for failing to turn over required documents? Those in power get endless mulligans, whereas if you or I were to do that, we'd be sitting in jail the day after the ink dried on the contempt papers.
    Well.. Marion "the bitch set me up" Berry just bit the dust, so he can't go back to jail...again...

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfin View Post
    If I understand correctly, and GunLawyer will probably correct me if I'm wrong on this, it has more to do with who were the named parties as defendant in the lawsuit. If the new law doesn't comply with the judge's order, it's whoever's name and/or office is in the list of parties ruled against that can go to jail as they're the ones who were ordered to act. Chief Lanier is one of them specifically, I forget who else..
    So if the defendants were sued and lost, told to change a practice, technically don't, and I'm arrested and prosecuted under the new laws, for which council and the chief are then held in contempt, could I file a federal 1983 abuse of civil rights under color of law suit against each council member personally?

Maybe that woman who OC'ed at the White House last week is smarter than we thought!
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by kp15460 View Post
    Well.. Marion "the bitch set me up" Berry just snorted the dust, so he can't go back to jail...again...
    Fixed that for you.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Lehigh County)

To the lawyer types on this forum reading this:

With contempt of court, isn't it up to the judge to determine or set the punishment for that charge? Or, is there some standard criteria for contempt of court charges?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12