Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LTCF..Finally!

(Union County)

Default LTCF..Finally!

Finally had time to get my permit!

Was super easy lol. I was rather suprised. I just walked in and filled out the form and a few minutes later had my picture taken and ID card and I was good to go!

I currently have a 9mm Shield but not sure if I want something smaller for pocket carry like a bodyguard or ruger lcp.

(Berks County)

Default Re: LTCF..Finally!

Quote Originally Posted by Creds View Post

Was super easy lol. I was rather suprised. I just walked in and filled out the form and a few minutes later had my picture taken and ID card and I was good to go!

I currently have a 9mm Shield but not sure if I want something smaller for pocket carry like a bodyguard or ruger lcp.
    Good for you. Get something smaller for pocket? Absolutely! Too many guns is not enough and it's not too many.
    Let's not forget there are still species of tropical penguins living in the Galapagos.

(Tioga County)

Welcome to the carry club.

I have a Ruger LCP and it is nice for pocket carry or any carry for that matter. Very light and concealable. You may also want to try the LC9 so you would not have to concern yourself with confusing two calibers of ammo.
    MikeP

(Allegheny County)

I have a LCP with the Crimson Trace Laser and Desantis Nemesis pocket holster. I carry it daily. I would only carry a LC9 if it was the last firearm on earth. Ill just quote myself from previous threads.

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post
    The LC9 is a abomination of nanny state feel good "safety features". As soon as I first read the tech specs I immateriality took it off my list of possible purchases in the single stack compact 9mm category.

Top of the list is the internal lock mechanism. This "feature" only exists on any firearm because of anti-2a nanny state legislation. Anyone responsible enough to secure their firearm would have already done so with a external lock or a gun cabinet/safe. Anyone who does not secure their firearms would not use this feature. The only thing this feature can possibly do is fail at the wrong moment and render your firearm useless.

It has a mechanical loaded chamber indicator. Another anti-2a nanny state feature. First off all firearms should be treated as loaded anyway. I don't need another mechanical complexity to tell me something I should already know. Now if you want to insure that your firearm is loaded a simple cut into the slide and/or breach can show you. Sans that a simple press check will answer your question.

Magazine disconnect. This feature has some merit basically that only comes down to a gun grab type situation where you can drop the mag and render the firearm useless during a struggle to maintain control of it. Good for those who carry a full size firearm openly. Not so useful for a firearm nobody should even know you have on you. Personally I see it as just another failure point.

Manual safety. You defiantly need one on a SAO only type firearm like the 1911 to safely carry with a chambered round. But on a DAO firearm that you carry in a quality holster it comes down to personal preference. My preference is not to have one on a DAO firearm.

Ruger does not make a model without ANY of the features so its automatically a non starter for me.

The Ruger does feel good in the hand and the trigger is adequate, although not as good as the Kahr pistols.

For about the same price and maybe cheaper now look at the Kahr CW9, very similar size, same capacity, Made in the USA and soon to be made in PA.

I have the Kahr and have been nothing but happy with it.
    I get that a Manual Safety, LCI and Magazine Disconnect are a matter of personal taste.

The internal lock though in my opinion is completely useless. They are not uniquely keyed and anyone who would use that feature would have already used a external lock or safe that has a unique key/combination.

The internal lock's only purpose is for feel good legislation and to add extra failure points to a firearm.

I use my peep-hole LCI to double check that my firearms are loaded before carrying them. But rule #1 of firearms safety is that every gun is always loaded so no LCI is going to convince me otherwise, epically a mechanical one that could fail.

My personal prefrence is to train for a long trigger pull vs a two step action of a manual safety, especially on a firearm with an already long trigger pull.

It seems to me that the magazine disconnect came from requirements of LE agencies to render a weapon inoperable in a gun grab scenario. Again this is a matter of personal taste/department policy.

By the time I'm ready to purchase a firearm in this segment if Ruger releases a model without these features ill consider it. But its still tough competition from the Kahr CW9.
    Taken directly from the LC9 user manual table of contents.

Operation of Manual Safety . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .12
    Operation of Internal Lock . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .14
    Operation of Loaded Chamber Indicator . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .15
    Operation of Magazine Disconnect . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .16

The LC9 is so "safe" im betting when the time comes to use it in a defensive situation one of these "safeties" will render the gun so "safe" it will not even fire.

I mean the "safest" gun is the one you can't shoot after all?

I know that was a little tongue-in-cheek. But personaly I would not buy a firearm with those features. Now both of the autos I own have loaded chamber indicators via a peep hole but not a mechanical one like the LC9.

I like the Kahr CW9 over the LC9.

http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-CW9.asp

For a bit more fit and finish and replaceable sights, but at a more premium price is the Kahr P9.

http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-P9.asp

Also comes in all black or all black with night sights

http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-P9-Black.asp.
    http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-P9-...ght-Sights.asp

I have read allot of reports from people who own the PF9 love them and if I absolutely only wanted to spend $250 or this would be a secondary weapon I would consider it. However in my opinion Kel-Tec is one of the lower tier manufactures vs. S&W, Glock, Springfield, Ruger, Kahr, Beretta, Sig, H&K, etc.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Bucks County)

I have a LCP with the Crimson Trace Laser and Desantis Nemesis pocket holster. I carry it daily. I would only carry a LC9 if it was the last firearm on earth. Ill just quote myself from previous threads.

I have read allot of reports from people who own the PF9 love them and if I absolutely only wanted to spend $250 or this would be a secondary weapon I would consider it. However in my opinion Kel-Tec is one of the lower tier manufactures vs. S&W, Glock, Springfield, Ruger, Kahr, Beretta, Sig, H&K, etc.
    I have a PF9 and I would trust it over many other pistols in a life or death situation. It's not a target pistol or something you'd want to put to put 1,000's of rounds through, but it's never had a hiccup of any kind whatsoever. It's very small, thin, light and surprisingly accurate for what it is. I'd trust it over an LC9 any day.

The Mrs loves her P32, it's one of her favorites. That thing always goes bang and it's accuracy defies the laws of physics. It may be only an anemic .32ACP but I wouldn't want to get shot in the face by it.

They may not have the quality of higher priced pistols, but Kel-Tecs are not the pieces of shit that many people make them out to be.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post

They may not have the quality of higher priced pistols, but Kel-Tecs are not the pieces of shit that many people make them out to be.
    I don't think they are pieces of shit. But my preference was to spend an extra $100 and get the Kahr CW9.

The LC9 because of its "feature" list I do consider a piece of shit. And id take the Kel-Tec over it any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Bucks County)

Love my G42 as a pocket pistol.
    It's all fun and games, until someone loses an eye. Then it is hilarious.

(Indiana County)

Now, if you have friends/relatives/enemies who own firearms in Occupied Territory (N.Y., N.J., Md., etc.), be sure to let them know how quick and inexpensive it was.

(Pike County)

Congratulations! Now you have to do the Walmart walk.

(Delaware County)

Mines was filled October 30th.. Still waiting, wish it was that easy in DELCO..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast