Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Trigger adjustment, Rem, 700 BDL

I purchased a Remington 700 BDL in 1978, and curious before I disassemble if it has an adjustable trigger?

I found this article, and not sure if this applies to all BDL's, older or newer ones?
    http://www.quarterbore.com/library/a...00trigger.html

Thanks
    "North of I-80, we don't dial 911, we dial 223"

Default Re: Trigger adjustment, Rem, 700 BDL

I'm going to go out on a limb and say I highly doubt a rifle made in the 70s is going to have an adjustable trigger.

You could have a gunsmith work on your trigger or look into an aftermarket trigger. Since it's a 700 action, it should be a drop in unit.

(Bucks County)

I did some searching and one thread a guy said he reduced the trigger pull on his 1978 BDL to 3-1/2 pounds, saying it took him about 30 minutes. From that I deduce he did a "trigger job" as opposed to its having an adjustable trigger.

Question...why is knowing prior to disassembly needed? Pulling the barreled action from the stock will answer the question, won't it?

Thanks for your replies, I looked today and its non adjustable and not knowing enough about polishing or honing will likely keep it in its current state..

Often times, if its late at night, I tend to pose the question to... experts, or perhaps someone with knowledge who has been there recently.. That's the idea of a forum.. isn't it?

(Bucks County)

Sure. Just wondered if there was a reason you needed to know in advance of disassembling. Always willing to learn something.

That's alright, I am not a gun expert by any means, and kind of lurk, read and think...LOL.
    I just picked up a Mossberg ATR100 30-06 for 250 today, and researching on what I can do to "enhance" it. Its all new to me, even though I am very mechanically inclined.
    I have the trigger off, and studying it, but still apprehensive on any real gunsmith work past the point of no return..
    I found this thread and have been reading and rereading, http://www.texashuntingforum.com/for...9623/site_id/1
    took a few try's to get the images to load though, and still not all show up, but enough for me to piece it together.. I checked my drifts, and don't have one small enough to drift the leading sear pin out.. and no, I have not even begun to disassemble the trigger.. Still working up my confidence I guess you could say..

I have drifts, dremel, assorted ball point springs, floor drill press, and bic springs, and could go to the hobby shop to mic something out if worst came to worse. Just a little apprehensive, as I have had some trouble getting internals together, I still struggle with my Ruger Mark II, and my win 9422 from time to time..
    I didn't mean to be sarcastic, and apologize if I came across that way..
    I thought about going to a gunsmith, but honestly, the good one in these parts died off about 20 years ago.. Besides, living 40 minutes from Wal-Mart, I've been a do it myselfer for too long to change.. When I get into trouble, I go online..
    ~Tol

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    I did some searching and one thread a guy said he reduced the trigger pull on his 1978 BDL to 3-1/2 pounds, saying it took him about 30 minutes. From that I deduce he did a "trigger job" as opposed to its having an adjustable trigger.

Question...why is knowing prior to disassembly needed? Pulling the barreled action from the stock will answer the question, won't it?
    ^^^^^^ This

I took my 700 BDL to a gunsmith buddy of mine. Reworked my factory trigger to about 2.5lbs in 45 minutes with no parts besides the factory trigger. Grant it he's been a smith for 30 years or do but it can't be that hard. If your a do-it-yourselfer I'd look into it.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

Did my first trigger enhancement after posting earlier. I must say it took me about 3 hours, but I have never been inside a trigger housing and honestly, wasn't sure what the sear looked like. After reading and reviewing, I started popping pins out, and then I got a good understanding on the mechanics of the trigger assembly.
    Fortunately, I had a good assortment of springs from a value assortment I had in the shop I purchased some time ago, and was able to mic the spring diameters, ID and OD's, to find the one that worked best. I actually ended up putting tow lighter spring together, a 7/32 and a 9/32nd fit over one another very nice.

I reduced the travel by .028" after using a micrometer to determine the shoulder depth I put the trigger in my machinist vice on my floor drill press, I squared the trigger up and used a .028" feeler gage to set the height above the vise, then filed away from me, keeping a sharp break. as I got closer to the top of the vice, I moved over to 400 grit, 800, then 3 microns until I was flush with the top of the vice on both sides, finish it with jewlers rouge, and aluminum polish , then, I worked the ledges, using the vise again, and an arkansas medium fine wetstone that still had some hard right angles on it, combined with 20 weight oil, once again, paying attention to the sharp break away on the trigger. It was too small of an area for me to polish with rouge. From there I rouged the engagement area of the sear, and finishing with aluminum polish, all surfaces shined up to a mirror finish. I took my time, and used a dremel for the rouge and polishing.
    I was able to reassemble and did a few dry fires. It breaks nice and crisp, I still have a few safety checks I need to do as it was getting late. I may stop by the shop and ask the owner to take a look at the trigger and see what he thinks, keeping the enhancement to myself of course... for as long as I can anyway.
    I will likely break it down again and clean it with hopps, then give it a light oiling and toy with the adjustable trigger, then lock tight it..
    Over all, I am happy with it, and didn't over do it, something I was very cautious about when I was working it.

I am kind of excited about it.
    Last edited by tollster; November 23rd, 2014 at 06:43 PM.

(Bucks County)

If you have the older trigger- the one with the three screws as indicated in your link, you do not have to disassemble the box.

In fact disassembling the box and changing the value of the components inside will eventually lead to trouble.

The stock Remington 3 screw trigger can be adjusted with the three external screws to between 3 and 3.5 pounds with safety- provided the person doing the adjusting knows what he's doing.

Adjusting the stock trigger below 3-3.5 pounds is not a good idea as the factory trigger is not reliably functioning at weights below 3-3.5 and unintended discharges can occur.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Bucks County)

I'm hoping no negative surfaces have resulted, especially ones with shallowed ledges. It's easy to detect on devices that have a hammer. I don't know how to detect/evaluate a negative cut on a bolt striker. Tollster said some safety tests are to follow. Better do it with an empty chamber. (#Just kiddin')
    Last edited by Bang; November 22nd, 2014 at 01:11 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast