Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Snyder County)

Default Taurus 1911 Holster ?

Anyone know where I can get a level 2 duty holster for a Taurus 1911? Been having trouble finding one.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants, they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -- Thomas Jefferson

(Berks County)

Default Re: Taurus 1911 Holster ?

is it somehow different than other 1911 clones? If not, Blackhawk makes one.

(Snyder County)

It's a little wider than a Kimber and won't fit in the same holster that carries the Kimber.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants, they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -- Thomas Jefferson

(Berks County)

I have a Taurus PT-1911. I have two leather DeSantis 1911 holsters, one with a thumbstrap and one without. The one with the strap does not make carrying cocked and locked easy, as the thumb safety tends to drop when trying to put the strap on. So, it's a hammer down only holster. The strapless holster is very nice, and tight, but I wouldn't open carry with this holster unless you're in a VERY controlled environment.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by zzeiber View Post
    is it somehow different than other 1911 clones? If not, Blackhawk makes one.
    That`s what I would think too. Anything for a full size government 1911.

(Montgomery County)

"It's a little wider than a Kimber and won't fit in the same holster that carries the Kimber."

That sure seems odd. What model Kimber? It would have to be narrower than a standard-pattern 1911 if that's the case.

My PT1911 fits in both a Galco Matrix and a 5.11/BladeTech Revolution. Since they are both Kydex, they would be pretty unforgiving of a tight fit and I doubt they would work if the PT1911 was somehow wider than a standard 1911.

(Berks County)

I carry my Taurus PT1911 in a Blackhawk Serpa. It fits like it was made for that pistol.

(Snyder County)

Quote Originally Posted by toml View Post
    "It's a little wider than a Kimber and won't fit in the same holster that carries the Kimber."

That sure seems odd. What model Kimber? It would have to be narrower than a standard-pattern 1911 if that's the case.

My PT1911 fits in both a Galco Matrix and a 5.11/BladeTech Revolution. Since they are both Kydex, they would be pretty unforgiving of a tight fit and I doubt they would work if the PT1911 was somehow wider than a standard 1911.
    The Kimber is a TLE II w/rail.

(Delaware County)

I currently have 2 holsters for my Taurus PT1911. I most often use a leather IWB DeSantis 1911 holster. I also use a Blackhawk Serpa holster. I am eventually going to purchase a Bianchi CarryLoc for my 1911. I have this holster for my XD-45 and my Taurus PT145. IMO the Bianchi holster is just as secure as the Serpa but it is a much better holster for concealed carry because it rides very close to the hip unlike the Serpa. It helps conceal the big XD-45 really well.

I just checked the the Bianchi and a couple other holster company web sites and I find that the vendors list the Taurus 1911, Springfield 1911A1 and Colt Government all as fitting in the same holsters. I think that the Kimber TLE/LR is somewhat different. It has a great rep so I don't mean anything against that particular handgun. I seem to remember that when it first came out there was a challenge for a short while finding CCW holsters for it. I would not necessarily expect any standard dimension Government model to fit properly in a holster designed for the TLE/LR or any LR 1911 model.

Good luck finding a holster that meets your needs. By the way I have had good luck with my Taurus PT1911.
    Last edited by shermdo; July 4th, 2008 at 12:53 AM.