Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Marksmanship plan gets mixed reaction from city schools

A proposed marksmanship program for students in McCaskey East High School’s Air Force Junior Reserve Officers’ Training Corps is drawing concerns from some school officials.

Cadets who participate in the proposed adult-led program would learn how to fire air rifles at targets in a 10-meter range, which could be set up in a classroom, inside a gymnasium, auditorium, or even in a storage room, aerospace science instructor Edwin Hurston said in an email on Thursday.

Final approval of the program was scheduled for a vote at today’s School District of Lancaster school board meeting, but Superintendent Pedro Rivera on Monday pulled the item from the agenda in order to gather more information on the program.

Officials did not set a new date for a vote on the program.

“This isn’t to teach young people how to have a projectile leave the barrel and hit a mark the size of a half-dollar 30 feet away,” Hurston said at the district’s committee of the whole meeting Nov. 11. “The real benefit and value is what they learn as they go through the process of learning how to do that.”

Hurston said cadets would learn self-control, precision, focus, patience, responsibility and gun safety.

He also assured the board the program would be safe for students, and that all adult supervisors would be certified by the civilian marksmanship program.

Hurston cited a study that looked at the 2,000 high school marksmanship programs nationwide over a three-year period and found no injuries related to the firing of the air rifles.

Hurston said he would seek community funding for the program, which would require the purchase of air rifles for $100 each, mats for shooting in the prone position, and backstops that run about $1,200 apiece. But some board members questioned whether marksmanship training, and exposure to guns, would be a positive influence on students.

“I’m just incredibly conflicted on this,” board member Candace Roper said. “It’s a thinly veiled step away from killing a human being, which is really what the whole point of it is.”

Board member Randolph Carney agreed guns were designed for killing, but Carney argued air rifles aren’t the same as other guns.

“For those young people that our program appeals to, it gives them structure. It gives them responsibility, gives them the construct within which they can succeed,” Hurston told board members. “This is a small piece of it, but it’s a very important piece.”

Florence Krane, assistant principal at McCaskey East High School, added the program could provide some additional scholarship opportunities to students who otherwise might not be able to obtain a scholarship.

“We’re tapping a group of kids that aren’t tapped through sports and some of our other academic programs,” Krane said, “This is another way for them to hone skills that they wouldn’t have an opportunity to do otherwise.”

Board member Radames Melendez voiced concerns about the negative influence guns could have on students.

“Whether you’re shooting a real gun, or you’re shooting a play gun, whatever you want to call it, it always brings something out in kids,” Melendez said.

Speaking “as a person who’s been involved with kids, been to so many funerals, who knows what these kids do sometimes, especially in our urban schools,” he said, “this kind of stuff becomes a stimulant to these kids.”

Hurston argued gun safety training would teach kids appreciation for the implications of what a real firearm can do.

“I would want to arm my children with the information before someone else tries to arm them with a handgun,” Hurston said.

Board president Stacey Marten requested Hurston bring more research to the next board meeting before they vote for final approval.

“There is a lot of emotion with this decision,” Marten said. “I think what we need to do is go back to the research … to help make an objective decision.”

http://lancasteronline.com/news/loca...3be3cd0ec.html

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.
    America must suffer until it reaches the point that Liberty is more important than Comforts.

Default Re: Marksmanship plan gets mixed reaction from city schools

My dads school in delco where he used to teach had a firing range (.22s) in the basement back in the 60s.

(Allegheny County)

Yeah, we wouldn't want the Air Force Junior Reserve Officers’ Training Corps touching anything REMOTELY associated with KILLING people.

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by qmcorps View Post
    “I’m just incredibly conflicted on this,” board member Candace Roper said. “It’s a thinly veiled step away from killing a human being, which is really what the whole point of it is.”
    Someone is ODing on the Kool-Aid.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    That was my favorite line.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.
    America must suffer until it reaches the point that Liberty is more important than Comforts.

My dad used to teach marksmanship in high school during the 70s. He was a teacher and he and his students would keep a .22 in their cars at school all day and then go out to the football field and practice after school.

Nobody ever got shot, none of those kids ever went nuts and shot up the school, no guns were stolen, no children spontaneously died from fear, and there was no debate about it.

The marksmanship club closed when all the teachers stepped down for various reasons over several years, and no new ones took over leadership. Now that it no longer exists, trying to get it added back into the curricula will be virtually impossible.
    Sic semper tyrannis

(Bucks County)

Whether you’re shooting a real gun, or you’re shooting a play gun, whatever you want to call it, it always brings something out in kids,” Melendez said.

Or a pop tart or an index finger........Puhleeease!

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    I don't believe she is conflicted on this in the least bit.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Yeah, we wouldn't want the Air Force Junior Reserve Officers’ Training Corps touching anything REMOTELY associated with KILLING people.

Just out of curiousity, any of you military guys know why the one bomb at the very bottom of the picture is red?

Quote Originally Posted by jerkin View Post
    Just out of curiousity, any of you military guys know why the one bomb at the very bottom of the picture is red?
    Cause it ain't gray black?

Sun reflection i think

Or different payload
    Last edited by Frenchy; November 20th, 2014 at 01:06 PM.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast