Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default Moving to the Carlisle area soon...

Hello all,

You'll be having a new face in the Carlisle area within a month or two. My Fiancée who is a nurse just got a job at the Hospital in Carlisle and we will most likely be looking at Mechanicsburg as far as where to put down stakes as there seems to be more apartments there.

Im curious what all firearms resources you folks have out this way? Best ranges? Best shops?

Also, if anyone who is a business owner or knows that their business is hiring, I'll be looking for work and I'll do pretty much anything that pays short of prostitution (you couldn't afford me anyways )

Very much looking forward to the move. I'm expecting a change of pace from the Philthadelphia area.

(Perry County)

Default Re: Moving to the Carlisle area soon...

Welcome to the area. There are many good gun shops in the Mechanicsburg/Harrisburg area. There's a Dick's on the Carlisle Pike and a Field and Stream is opening at the Capitol City Mall. (I had to do that for EM) Actually there are several good places. Mechanicsburg Ordnance & SPAR. There's Dunhams in Carlisle. Bass Pro and Gander Mountain in Harrisburg. A host of other LGS throughout the area.

Being close to the Capitol, the state has jobs regularly. Gobs of retail & construction companies. UPS, Fed Ex and trucking firms are always hiring. Hospitals all have security. TMI is close and they use Wackenhut (I think) and get paid well.

Feel free to ask me any questions. I lived in Hampden Twp. for a number of years and still frequent the West Shore for my shopping. Since you aren't locked in to a place yet, I may be offer some insight at places you're looking at.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Cumberland County)

Carlisle is a nice area, there are a lot of places other than the west shore to live. What do you like other than shooting, how rural can you tolerate? What kind of shooting do you like to do?
    Upper Adams Fish and Game www.uafg.org

(York County)

Plenty of fun shops in the area depending on what you want. Some are ran in basements and can order almost anything, others are huge stores with a nice selection of inventory.

The type of shooting and where you end up living will help decide what range/club to join.

What kind of work are you looking for? What can you do?

Welcome to the area!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Totez View Post
    I'm expecting a change of pace from the Philthadelphia area.
    Does this mean you will become a Steeler fan...?

Welcome to the area!
    NRA Endowment Member, N-SSA #9526v

(Dauphin County)

Well it's official. I'm going to be in Dillsburg! We've put a deposit down on a house for rent on the south side of town and will be moving in at the end of December.

jb12string
    Carlisle is a nice area, there are a lot of places other than the west shore to live. What do you like other than shooting, how rural can you tolerate? What kind of shooting do you like to do?
    Other than shooting, I'm big into reenactments which I alread know there is plenty of there and beyond as I frequently traveled up that way for events. We also enjoy hiking and proper camping (tents and hiking in), and plenty more. As far as shooting, the lady enjoys clays and I like rifles, pistol, and clays. I've also got a flintlock I'd like to get out and shoot (proper fowling piece. Beauty!) as to how rural, it doesn't get rural enough generally for me to be unhappy. I'm pleased with the small town feel of Dillsburg but I could to more rural happily lol

Lee-online
    Plenty of fun shops in the area depending on what you want. Some are ran in basements and can order almost anything, others are huge stores with a nice selection of inventory.

The type of shooting and where you end up living will help decide what range/club to join.

What kind of work are you looking for? What can you do?

Welcome to the area!
    As far as work, I'll do anything full time that pays US currency lol. I can do whatever I'm taught to do. I'm a fast learner, dependable, and loyal to who employs me. My last job I've been at since before I finished high school and I'm only quitting because of this move lol.

unclejumbo
    Welcome to the area. There are many good gun shops in the Mechanicsburg/Harrisburg area. There's a Dick's on the Carlisle Pike and a Field and Stream is opening at the Capitol City Mall. (I had to do that for EM) Actually there are several good places. Mechanicsburg Ordnance & SPAR. There's Dunhams in Carlisle. Bass Pro and Gander Mountain in Harrisburg. A host of other LGS throughout the area.

Being close to the Capitol, the state has jobs regularly. Gobs of retail & construction companies. UPS, Fed Ex and trucking firms are always hiring. Hospitals all have security. TMI is close and they use Wackenhut (I think) and get paid well.

Feel free to ask me any questions. I lived in Hampden Twp. for a number of years and still frequent the West Shore for my shopping. Since you aren't locked in to a place yet, I may be offer some insight at places you're looking at.
    Thanks! I checked into lots of jobs around the area in fields you suggested and there are a number of them so I've been rocketing apps around. I only wish I had the ability to go in person to introduce myself. I hate doing that through the Internet. I'm much better in person lol.
    Last edited by Totez; November 23rd, 2014 at 09:27 PM.

(York County)

You're only 15 - 20 minutes north of me in Dover. When you get situated let us know, we'll have to have a Saturday meet and greet breakfast with some of the York guys. Good luck on the job search too!
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by Totez View Post
    Well it's official. I'm going to be in Dillsburg! We've put a deposit down on a house for rent on the south side of town and will be moving in at the end of December.
    That's where my wife lived after college and before she moved in with me. Nice area down there. She was living off Cabin Hollow Road.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    That's where my wife lived after college and before she moved in with me. Nice area down there. She was living off Cabin Hollow Road.
    It does look to be a very nice area. Is it bad that I'm excited that people in town were waving at us as we drove by? Can you tell I'm from Philly by that excitement lol.

We'll be right around the VFW in Dillsburg.

Jhaydeno
    You're only 15 - 20 minutes north of me in Dover. When you get situated let us know, we'll have to have a Saturday meet and greet breakfast with some of the York guys. Good luck on the job search too!
    Will do! Should be in an somewhat settled by mid January or so. I'll keep you updated. Will be nice to get to know the locals. (also I've come to find that 15-20 minutes is a pretty accurate description of everything out there. Almost everywhere we visited was about 15-20 minutes away from everything else. lol)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast