Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Re: Moving to the Carlisle area soon...

You'll be within pretty easy driving distance of the club I belong to, Upper Adams(link below) we don't have sporting clays, but we do have trap, and they were talking about lighting the trap range and shooting after dark. We also hold running deer shoots in the winter/early spring and a "top gun" match in April. What was your last job?
    Upper Adams Fish and Game www.uafg.org

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by jb12string View Post
    You'll be within pretty easy driving distance of the club I belong to, Upper Adams(link below) we don't have sporting clays, but we do have trap, and they were talking about lighting the trap range and shooting after dark. We also hold running deer shoots in the winter/early spring and a "top gun" match in April. What was your last job?
    Sounds like a pretty cool place. I'll check out the link, thanks!

As to my last job, I worked at a Community Center owned by Giant Foods (If you've been to the Camp Hill Super Giant, I believe they have one as well.)

Mostly a customer service and catering job with a fair bit of lifting/moving of furniture and room setups as well as light managerial work (I essentially ran the place once my boss left for the day as I worked nights. Scheduling events, coordinating them, handling our phones, etc. You name it - I did it.)

I also have been running my own (very) small business out of my current home and will be continuing to run it once I move into the new house. I'm happy to say I'm a CEO and Owner Operator there! So fancy I know.

Aside from that I've worked on and off at the family Billiards store doing essentially Customer Service, servicing pool tables and equipment, etc.
    Last edited by Totez; November 23rd, 2014 at 10:20 PM.

(Adams County)

Small world! You'll be quite nearby! I'd definitely reccommend looking at Adams Sport Handgunners just south of your place, outside of York Springs.

http://www.acsha.com

I'm match director for IDPA over at West Shore Sportsmanship Association to your east in Lewisberry, but we're having some major range issues at the moment and our ranges are all temporarily closed. (And we might be capping our membership... Not sure yet.)

Regardless, whenever we get our ship back on the rails youre welcomed to come out for IDPA and SASS (cowboys) even if the membership is closed.

It's a great area! You'll love it, I'm sure.
    --Sam

(Cumberland County)

I am sure you know that Ahold corporate office is in Carlisle, may be some opportunities there. Dickinson, Messiah and Gettysburg Colleges all may have facilities positions that might be along the lines of what you've been doing in addition to several hotels that have banquet facilites.
    Upper Adams Fish and Game www.uafg.org

(Dauphin County)

Tomorrow is the day! Wish me luck on the journey! Uhaul is all loaded up with two people's lives worth of crap and I'm mixed parts excited and nervous. Major change and first time moving so it's very exciting and nervewracking all at the same time. Thanks to everyone who has helped and shown me info I had asked for!

(York County)

Good luck.

If you have any problems along the way, post here, someone will be able to lend a hand.

(Blair County)

Or a truck

10 characters
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

(Dauphin County)

Thankfully all went well and we are mostly moved in. Took two days for the furniture store to deliver our couch and love seat but now our house is looking like a proper home. Neighbors are all nice except for seemingly one who thinks her dog shouldn't have to be bothered by our dog two yards away. (Her dog gets all Pissy when it sees another dog and runs up and down her back yard while our dog looks at it confused and mildly concerned.)

All and all very happy. Oh, also, are stink bugs like a major thing out here? We've been findinga bunch and while I've seen maybe one or two a year back where I used to live, I've seen more stink bugs in this house than I have all my life. Most are dead but a few are still moving around.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by Totez View Post
    Thankfully all went well and we are mostly moved in. Took two days for the furniture store to deliver our couch and love seat but now our house is looking like a proper home. Neighbors are all nice except for seemingly one who thinks her dog shouldn't have to be bothered by our dog two yards away. (Her dog gets all Pissy when it sees another dog and runs up and down her back yard while our dog looks at it confused and mildly concerned.)

All and all very happy. Oh, also, are stink bugs like a major thing out here? We've been findinga bunch and while I've seen maybe one or two a year back where I used to live, I've seen more stink bugs in this house than I have all my life. Most are dead but a few are still moving around.
    If I only kill 10 a day in my house, it's a light day. They have invaded this area in a big way.

They are attracted to light. I read an article where a guy made a trap out of one of those stick on battery operated lights and a 2 liter soda bottle. He cut the top off the bottle, put the the light in the bottom and turned the top around to create a funnel. He then put it in his attic crawl space. He was catching dozens a day.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Cumberland County)

Welcome to the area...Dillsburg is a nice town. Just far enough out of Harrisburg to not be in the middle of everything. You are not far away from several good sportman clubs/associations. Carlisle Fish and Game is a big club for shotgun sports. They have at least 5 trap ranges, two or three skeet ranges and several sporting clays/5 stand courses. Very nice guys over there. Mechanicsburg Sportsman Association has a couple of trap ranges as well as nice rifle ranges. They are best know for their archery programs. In fact the last several years the PSAA has had their hunter class championships at Mechanicsburg. West Shore is another club nearby that is active with their IDPA group but has had a lot of upheaval in their leadership and is kind of trying to figure out exactly what their club is going to be in the future.

Lots of good clubs and stuff to do in the area.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast