Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New Ruger MIII, best ammo for trajectory and accuracy?

I know what I"m asking for is a tall order. So who holds the title for top-of-the-heap in power delivery -- and excellent long range load?

I own a 17cal HMR rifle and I "love" the speed and trajectory characteristics and I"m looking for as close a match as I can get with the .22 longrifle ammo.

I didn't see the 17cal as an option in a pistol without going to a revolver style as I wanted an autoloader if possible.

So I chose the Hunter Ruger Mark III SS as a fun plunker and target shooter that won't cost me so much in ammo that it takes the fun out of using it.

So far I've learned the CCI 32gr. stingers at "1650fps" seem to breach the speed barrier and start becoming inaccurate.... "maybe because the way the tip if shaped?... I don't know", as well as the aquila supermax 30gr. at "1750fps" based on my reading so far.
    Being fast is awesome, but only if I can hit my target.... otherwise I only scared away my prey?

It seems the best balance between speed and accuracy and also still keeping a good trajectory so as to maximize usable hitting power at great distances, that the CCI Velocitor "40 grs at 1435 fps" seems to be a good choice as some report.
    NO, I don't like the idea of shooting heavier bullets what will buck the wind and having to shoot 2 feet high... that just seems like lobbing a rock to me.

I want to be able to sight in at 75 yards or maybe approching a 100 yards and have an effective range I can hit up to 150 or slightly less.
    If thats not possible, I will obviously have to settle for less.. but thats my target.

I do like the reputation CCI has for using clean gunpowder so as to not gunk things up too bad too quick.

Can anyone recommend a better choice than the CCI Velocitor's?... it would be nice to choose something I can actually find in the stores too.. but if not, I can order bulk online.

BTW... has anyone figured out why they don't make .22 bullets in the pointed style like the .17cal?.... seems it would only help speed and trajectory...... Isn't there a bullet out there thats not concerned with knockdown power......why do we have to blunt the tip of the bullet and only slow it down?

I found a pretty good article on the subject, but its dated back to 2002.
    Is there better stuff out now to use in a MIII pistol?

Has anyone used these faster rounds I"ve mentioned with no accuracy issues in the MIII?

thanks.
    Last edited by windstrings; July 2nd, 2008 at 07:16 PM.
    "You've never been lost until you've been lost at Mach 3."-(test pilot, SR-71)

(Chester County)

Default Re: New Ruger MIII, best ammo for trajectory and accuracy?

I don't know what your shooting experience is so please take my comments with a grain of salt.

Red text is mine.

Quote Originally Posted by windstrings View Post
    I know what I"m asking for is a tall order. So who holds the title for top-of-the-heap in power delivery -- and excellent long range load? Power delivery? You mean velocity? Aguila Super Maximum Hypervelocity is rated at 1767.8fps. That was the highest I saw during a quick look through my Guide to Rimfire Ammo book.

I own a 17cal HMR rifle and I "love" the speed and trajectory characteristics and I"m looking for as close a match as I can get with the .22 longrifle ammo.
    .17HMR and .22lr are two whole different beasts. The 17HMR is more than twice a fast. It has completely different characteristics.

I didn't see the 17cal as an option in a pistol without going to a revolver style as I wanted an autoloader if possible.

So I chose the Hunter Ruger Mark III SS as a fun plunker and target shooter that won't cost me so much in ammo that it takes the fun out of using it.

So far I've learned the CCI 32gr. stingers at "1650fps" seem to breach the speed barrier and start becoming inaccurate.... "maybe because the way the tip if shaped?... I don't know", as well as the aquila supermax 30gr. at "1750fps" based on my reading so far.
    Being fast is awesome, but only if I can hit my target.... otherwise I only scared away my prey?

It seems the best balance between speed and accuracy and also still keeping a good trajectory so as to maximize usable hitting power at great distances, that the CCI Velocitor "40 grs at 1435 fps" seems to be a good choice as some report.
    NO, I don't like the idea of shooting heavier bullets what will buck the wind and having to shoot 2 feet high... that just seems like lobbing a rock to me.

I want to be able to sight in at 75 yards or maybe approching a 100 yards and have an effective range I can hit up to 150 or slightly less.
    If thats not possible, I will obviously have to settle for less.. but thats my target.
    75 to 150 yards?? That's pushing it for a .22 pistol. 75 yards ok, but 150? Good luck.

I do like the reputation CCI has for using clean gunpowder so as to not gunk things up too bad too quick.

Can anyone recommend a better choice than the CCI Velocitor's?... it would be nice to choose something I can actually find in the stores too.. but if not, I can order bulk online.
    I usually use Winchester Xpert22 bulk pack .22lr ammo in my MKIII 22/45. It eats anything I feed it though.

BTW... has anyone figured out why they don't make .22 bullets in the pointed style like the .17cal?.... seems it would only help speed and trajectory...... Isn't there a bullet out there thats not concerned with knockdown power......why do we have to blunt the tip of the bullet and only slow it down?Because that shape works best for that velocity. A typical .22lr bullet travels at about 1000 fps. A .17HMR is typically about 2800 fps. Nearly 3 times as fast.

I found a pretty good article on the subject, but its dated back to 2002.
    Is there better stuff out now to use in a MIII pistol?

Has anyone used these faster rounds I"ve mentioned with no accuracy issues in the MIII?I've used CCI Stingers and Velocitors in my MKIII. I didn't notice any difference in accuracy. They just kick a little harder and make a louder bang. Then again I'm shooting at 30 to 50 feet, not 75 to 150 yards.

thanks.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Westmoreland County)

.22s tend to be picky on and individual basis. Seems like you have the right idea try different loads and see what works with your gun. Tends to be the best way to go about things.

Most .22lr pistols shoot best up to 50 yards with standard velocity ammo (~1000 to ~1100 fps). I get my best results (group size) with CCI SV and Federal Automatch. The Xpert22's I've shot lately have done pretty well and are slightly better than the Federal 36gr hv Value pack from Walmart. I've fired Stingers and wasn't impressed with the results.

I've had no luck with Aguila or Centurion (Aguila) because the heavy lube makes it almost impossible to feed rounds consistently.

Almost all of my shooting is 15-25 yards, two hands, unsupported. I haven't tried 75-150 yards shooting like that. Believe if I did, I'd be using my 4x Leupold and shooting from a rest.

Smile Re: New Ruger MIII, best ammo for trajectory and accuracy?

I just added a red dot scope and its totally cool.... I've always owned the convention type scopes in the past... So I'll have to grab some sandbags to test the ammo... shooting freehanded only adds a serious element of error to the equation if I'm trying to see what ammo shoots the best.
    I'll hone my actual shooting skills later once the ammo issue is figured out.

My past experience has only been with rifles and shotguns... and thats about 45 years of actual shooting history.

This is my first pistol.

I also want to play around with some subsonic stuff and I was first intrigued with the aguila 60grain thinking it was close to the same powder but the heavier bullet slowed it down to subsonic????? Only a guess...
    If this is not true, its a great idea.... why drop the powder load and keep better knock down power if the noise is mostly from the bullet breaking the sound barrier? Maybe thats where I"m mistaken too?

But one of the salesman at Cabelas turned me off to the Aguila subsonic 60gr it saying it was quite dirty.... humm.. the reviews I"ve read seem very good... I'll have to investigate more.

Power delivery? You mean velocity? Aguila Super Maximum Hypervelocity is rated at 1767.8fps. That was the highest I saw during a quick look through my Guide to Rimfire Ammo book.
    Velocity.. yes... but only because thats the most important part of the equation if your just trying to get flat trajectory... I'm thinking whatever I end up with in actual mass knockdown power or energy (velocity X mass) will suffice for the plinking I'm wanting to do.

I'm just looking for the fastest I can find "irregardless of bullet weight" without dancing into the realm of instability and therefore less accuracy.

If a bullet is inconsistent, it drives you nuts when trying to hone your shooting skills because you never know if it wasyou are the bullet that made you hit dead bullseye or miss?

I understand there is no one bullet that fits that catagory for every gun, since barrells are different lengths etc.... and the majic combination of bulet weight, gunpowder load etc adds to the equation.... but if anyone has already gone through all the pain and hardache of figuring this out with the MK III.. I"m all ears.

It eats anything I feed it though.
    Have you tried subsonics of any type yet?

(Wayne County)

Federal has done the most extensive research on the 22 rim fire and found the 40gr lrn fired at a velocity of 1150 fps to be the most accurate out of most rifles currently in production. I would go with their Auto Match ammo or American Eagle in the 40gr lrn. I have tried a variety of 22lr from CCI, Aguila, Remington, Winchester and some brands no longer in production. The Federals out performed all of them. I forgot to mention Wolf makes some damn good 22 Match Ammo also

Mike Mc

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by windstrings View Post
    Have you tried subsonics of any type yet?
    I've fired subsonics from my bolt action rifle, but not in a semi-auto rifle or handgun. I doubt it would cycle the action properly.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Allegheny County)

irregardless is not a word... nit pickin I know, sorry, but I hate when that non word is used.

You want a lot from a .22 pistol. Winchester Dynapoint .22 HP is one of the hardest and most consistent hitting rounds I have used. More expensive then bulk Federal but much cheaper than CCI. You can find it in most K-Marts that still have a sporting goods department and I see you can get them at Midway USA as well. YMMV.
    Last edited by futureusr; July 5th, 2008 at 10:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
    I've fired subsonics from my bolt action rifle, but not in a semi-auto rifle or handgun. I doubt it would cycle the action properly.
    I haven't tried it yet.... I'm sure it would be inconsistent at best... the guy at the store told me I could use the stuff with no gunpowder "primer only" and literally hold my thumb on the bolt to keep it from coming back when it fired, then just eject it manually and the next in the clip would come in the chamber.... another experiement for me to try.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Yankee View Post
    Federal has done the most extensive research on the 22 rim fire and found the 40gr lrn fired at a velocity of 1150 fps to be the most accurate out of most rifles currently in production. I would go with their Auto Match ammo or American Eagle in the 40gr lrn. I have tried a variety of 22lr from CCI, Aguila, Remington, Winchester and some brands no longer in production. The Federals out performed all of them. I forgot to mention Wolf makes some damn good 22 Match Ammo also

Mike Mc
    thanks for the info swamp yankee.... but I'm not really trying for perfect match ammo, but rather the best distance and flat trajectory I can get without losing accuracy..... too much at least.

I guess what I'm looking for is the best of the "hot" rounds for accuracy.... hotter the better until accuracy starts going out the window. Even if the grain of the bullet drops to get the distance as long as the accuracy is still there with a nice flat trajectory.... thats my main goal.....

I originally bought an RWS pellet gun trying to get a nice plinker, but was quite unsatisfied with the power it produced and even more with the range.

I didn't buy this pistol to replace a rifle per se, but I'm trying to be able to hit something farther than I can throw a rock too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast