Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Restoration of rights, ATF

As I understand it, it is possibility to have a restoration of rights (mental, criminal, ect) however all references to this are state based and to my knowledge meaningless because the ATF still has a beef with you. As such I have to ask if there is any laws pending that would allow the ATF the ability and the funding to restore rights. I know a lot of you know stuff so I figured this would be the place to ask.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Restoration of rights, ATF

Could you clarify what you are asking? Restoration of rights is pretty much a state issues for state offenses, and a federal issue for federal offenses. For federal offenses, they have defunded the restoration processes, so you are out of luck short of a presidential pardon.

are there any attempt to refund the restoration process and what about "mental" prohibits? I am trying to write a research paper on the subject.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by akroma View Post
    are there any attempt to refund the restoration process and what about "mental" prohibits? I am trying to write a research paper on the subject.
    Not that I'm aware of. It has been this way through a couple of administrations, R and D.

I am not trying to be a douche, so please excuse me if this comes across as douche-y. I noticed that you have started and posted in a couple of threads and have beat around the bush when it comes to your questions.

I think if you post what your intentions are and exactly what you are trying to find out, you will get much better responses. I am always suspicious of new members posting half stories, so it might just be me, but you will find that there are plenty of people on the boards with a wealth of knowledge who are willing to share, if you post you questions properly. So far, i get that you are doing research for a project on mental health prohibitors, and there are plenty of threads related to your topic.

Your handle says your in indiana, different states have different rules, and PA is one that is a whole lot tougher on mental health prohibitions. I hope you find the answers you are looking for.

(Berks County)

I believe you are thinking about the federal firearms relief provision that is found in 18 USC 925. Unfortunately, since 1992, the Congress has placed an appropriations rider in the ATF's appropriation bill that it cannot utilize any of the appropriated money for federal firearms relief for individuals (although, since 1993, it has been available to corporations). Here is my article on the current appropriations bill - http://blog.princelaw.com/2014/01/17...ear-to-be-lost. Basically, the hard work is done (statutory right/ability to request relief); however, we need to get the language stricken or modified from a future appropriations bill, so that either appropriated money can be used or the individual can fund his/her own relief determination.
    Joshua Prince, Esq. - Firearms Industry Consulting Group - www.PaFirearmsLawyer.com