Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Light Strikes?

(Berks County)

Default Light Strikes?

Man, I had a bad day at the range. My Taurus PT809, never had an issue with it, perfectly clean. Tried to run some Blazer brass through it, maybe 10% ran through, the rest all dimples on the primer.

Could it just be this cartridge does not agree with my gun? Never ever had this issue before but never used Blazer. Thoughts?
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

Default Re: Light Strikes?

Quote Originally Posted by Gunowner99 View Post
    Man, I had a bad day at the range. My Taurus PT809, never had an issue with it, perfectly clean. Tried to run some Blazer brass through it, maybe 10% ran through, the rest all dimples on the primer.

Could it just be this cartridge does not agree with my gun? Never ever had this issue before but never used Blazer. Thoughts?
    I had two of these that I sold about a year ago. Never had a light strike with either. You hate to say the gun doesn't like the ammo because it is only putting dimples in the primers, though Blazer could have harder primers than they did. In fact, I have about 2000 rds of BB that my daughters use in their 24/7 Pro 9mms and there is never an issue, but I've had that ammo for a couple years, now.

To say the same 'ol cliche thingy, just check to be sure the FP and FP channel are squeaky clean with light, slippery lube. Also be sure the main spring and housing are the same way. Firing pins aren't created equal, so there is a chance that the tip has worn, some. The hammer should be flat with no dimple in it where it hits the pin. Obviously, you could replace the FP and main spring, but you still may have the same results. Try a different ammo, first.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Montgomery County)

Also don't forget about the Taurus lifetime warranty. I would take the advice suggested above and do some investigating yourself, but otherwise call up Taurus. If they give you some crap about paying for shipping, just escalate the call and talk to the right person. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    Also don't forget about the Taurus lifetime warranty. I would take the advice suggested above and do some investigating yourself, but otherwise call up Taurus. If they give you some crap about paying for shipping, just escalate the call and talk to the right person. Good luck!
    Taurus only pays shipping for the first year. After that, they pay the return shipping. You only have to pay to get it there.

(Berks County)

This gun has less than 25 rounds thorough it literally! I will do a good clean around the firing pin and all that. Try the Blazer again and then try some that I know worked in it and see. If not, I'll call Taurus. It is like a year and a half old but have not had it out much unfortunately. I never had one issue with it until yesterday and all I did was clean it since the last time I used it. Ugh!

Quote Originally Posted by Gunowner99 View Post
    This gun has less than 25 rounds thorough it literally! I will do a good clean around the firing pin and all that. Try the Blazer again and then try some that I know worked in it and see. If not, I'll call Taurus. It is like a year and a half old but have not had it out much unfortunately. I never had one issue with it until yesterday and all I did was clean it since the last time I used it. Ugh!
    Gun Scrubber (or brake cleaner) works well for getting the sticky stuff out of the channel, but I wouldn't suspect it could be so gummy that it would impede a hard strike, though I suppose it's possible. I had great service from Taurus with two different guns (Tracker .44 ma needed cylinder timed and PT 1911 slide didn't align with frame...both fixed the first time). They will make it right if it is a FP or MS issue.

(Berks County)

I use Froglube on this and like I said, less than 25 rounds downrange with no issues prior.

Maybe I just need to reassemble as I messed something up? It is frustrating.

(Allegheny County)

Clean it thoroughly and break it in. 25 rounds isn't enough, run 200-400 rounds through it (ammo that will run) and see where you are then on the Blazer.
    Toujours prêt

(Berks County)

I surely need to break it in, anxious to be honest with you.

(Bucks County)

Brand X ammo 100 % reliable, brand XX is not, suspect the ammo. If Taurus says gun should fire any brand, suspect the gun. Meanwhile, as agreed, see where you are after a few hundred rounds of "good" stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast