Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Killed a bad buck ...... Question

Arrowed a 8 point and recovered the dear within 45 min.Noticed it had been hit with arrow in the left hind leg.Gutted and hung in garage ........ While skinning the L/hind led was oozing a slime ...... All the meat is bad from the wound in the leg .......

Has anybody reported this to the PAGC and got another Buck tag?

Bad luck has been with me this season I shot a nice doe, But recovered a doe 2 days later and meat was bad also ....... Fry me if you want but the blood trail stopped the day I hit her and rained the next day so I could not restart the search till the second day ..... Was just pure luck finding her the second day ...... I have one tag left for a doe ...... So hope is still there to get some meat

Default Re: Killed a bad buck ...... Question

The ooze is definitely an infection. You could probably toss the rear quarter and still be okay but I'll defer to anyone with actual experience as I've never taken a sick/injured deer. Like you, I would be hesitant.

As far as the tag, I would call PGC and ask. If the meat is a total loss they may let you purchase a 2nd tag.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
    Arrowed a 8 point and recovered the dear within 45 min.Noticed it had been hit with arrow in the left hind leg.Gutted and hung in garage ........ While skinning the L/hind led was oozing a slime ...... All the meat is bad from the wound in the leg .......

Has anybody reported this to the PAGC and got another Buck tag?

Bad luck has been with me this season I shot a nice doe, But recovered a doe 2 days later and meat was bad also ....... Fry me if you want but the blood trail stopped the day I hit her and rained the next day so I could not restart the search till the second day ..... Was just pure luck finding her the second day ...... I have one tag left for a doe ...... So hope is still there to get some meat
    ^^^^ In red. Yes a number of years ago shot a previously wounded spike on the first Saturday,and when I gutted it it was gangrenous inside.

Long story short gutted the deer and delivered it the game commission and got a new tag.

So good luck !
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

I heard about a guy who had a similar situation. He called the PAGC and he was given a new Tag. The Deer was disposed of due to the infected meat!

If I were in your Boots I would call right away....
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    I heard about a guy who had a similar situation. He called the PAGC and he was given a new Tag. The Deer was disposed of due to the infected meat!

If I were in your Boots I would call right away....
    ^^^THIS^^^

(Allegheny County)

I'm not a hunter... But I like hearing stories where common sense is applied by government agencies. I hope u get a new tag.

(Delaware County)

They will issue a new tag if the meat is bad. If you want to keep the rack then you will most likely have to accept the meat loss. In any case don't delay.

(Somerset County)

I shot a bad one on the rifle opener several years ago, called them in the afternoon, the WCO (who lived nearby) was at the farm early the next morning. IIRC, she stopped on her way to meet some other hunters with the same problem at a central location. She took the buck (including the small rack) and gave me a new tag. Of course, I never saw another buck but that is the way it goes sometimes.

Call the region office.

Dale
    Last edited by dk99358; November 16th, 2014 at 03:39 PM.

(Carbon County)

If it has yellow slime leaking out, I would go for a new tag. I shot a dropped buck in the late doe season once and it was really thinned out. I thought it was just rutted out. I skinned it and it was OK looking, then I cut into the one back quarter. I do remember that when I gutted it there was a small hole through the very bottom of it's belly. There was a little jelled blood laying in there, but it looked alright. Anyway, it is good you put it down. I would bet once infection like that sets in they headed for a slow death.

(Bucks County)

Contact PGC. They WILL, without exception, issue a new tag. Policy dictates that they do not question the request, they just grant it. It really is the best policy: it makes sure they don't piss anyone off, it ensures nobody gets sick, it gives them the opportunity to look into what caused the infection/bad meat/weird complaint, and they get a chance to track, and possibly stop, any new disease from gaining traction. Besides, 'quality deer hunting' is BIG BUSINESS in this state.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast