Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Franklin County)

Default Gun rights advocates bear arms to thank Ranson City Council members

RANSON, W.Va. — At least four people carried exposed handguns into a Ranson City Council meeting Tuesday night when a group of gun rights advocates showed up to thank council members for dropping a proposed law that would prohibit guns at city recreation areas.

At least one other member of the group was carrying a concealed gun under a permit that allowed him to do so.

Ranson Police Chief Bill Roper, who appeared obviously tense, stood up when several gun rights advocates - one of them armed - approached council members to speak.

In an exchange with gun rights advocate Ian Branson of Vienna, Va., Roper said situations have arisen in which officials such as city managers have been shot in public areas.

Branson said not everyone who carries a gun is a criminal.

Roper he had no idea who in the group might have been dangerous.

"That's why I'm standing up," Roper said.

Roper said after the meeting that he thinks the gun rights advocates went too far by carrying guns.

"What protection do you need in a government process?" Roper asked.

Under West Virginia law, anyone can carry a gun if it is exposed, Roper said. Concealed weapons can be carried, but officials must approve of permits to have them.

Council members considered banning people from bringing guns to city recreation areas after someone recently brought a gun to the Charles C. Marcus Field behind The Marketplace at Potomac Towne Center along the Charles Town Bypass.

Although the man had a permit to carry the gun, state law allows the city to pass a law prohibiting guns to be brought to public facilities, Mayor David Hamill said.

City officials were concerned about the safety of people, particularly children, at public facilities, councilman Duke Pierson said.

Word spread among gun rights advocate groups about Ranson's proposal and at least a dozen gun rights advocates showed up at Tuesday's meeting.

Jim Mullins, president of the West Virginia Citizens Defense League, said during the meeting that he faxed a letter to city officials expressing his concern about the proposed law.

Gun rights advocates believe in the right to protect themselves with firearms and that extends to public areas, especially since taxpayers own those facilities, said Mullins, who was carrying a concealed weapon.

Mullins, of Morgantown, W.Va., thanked council members and Hamill for dropping consideration of the law. Also attending the meeting was Pete Morgan of Charleston, W.Va., who is the vice president of the West Virginia Citizens Defense League.

Mullins said after the meeting that he had a permit to carry the concealed weapon he had.

Hamill said city officials did not realize the potential impact of the law, and that they lacked sensitivity to the issue.

Roper said he thinks the issue still needs to be examined.

Lyle Seigel of Bunker Hill, W.Va., told council members their proposed law was a "bad ordinance."

"I have a (gun) permit and I keep that up to date," said Seigel, a member of the National Rifle Association.

In response to Roper's criticism that the gun rights advocates went too far in bringing guns to the council meeting, Branson said after the meeting that those doing so only were demonstrating how it is a right in the United States.

"We're trying to demystify the practice," said Branson, who had an exposed handgun tucked in his waistband.

Branson said a community in another part of the country passed a law similar to the one that Ranson was considering. Then during a meeting in that community, a man came to a town meeting, shot a bailiff, then started shooting town officials.

"Gun bans don't stop criminals," Branson said. "They don't care about them."

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Gun rights advocates bear arms to thank Ranson City Council members

(Luzerne County)

Police Chief Roper is obviously a anti-freedom tyrant.

Gun owners, that show up to thank city council, are not "dangerous". They are not Crypts 'n Bloods. They are probably the most law abiding, respectful and allied to the police cross section of the population.

Roper obviously see's GUNS as something only crooks and cops carry. Gun owners as a potential problem instead of an ally. Get a grip, Roper. And sit down and quit being a contemptuous bully.

More "Us vs. them" mentality. Nice job, Roper. Exactly what real peace officers do NOT need.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Allegheny County)

IF gun owners don't stand up to protect their rights from such Ill conceived or poor written laws when they are proposed, BY YOUR SILENT CONSENT, you agree to them.

It’s REALLY tough to get a law or regulation removed once it’s enacted, much easier and cheaper to stop before in gets approved, like it was demonstrated here.

Thank you to everyone that took the time to get involved to protect firearm rights for everyone in that community.

All politics starts local and work there way up to the top, works the same way with corruption.

Nice comments Pa. Patriot

(Venango County)

"What protection do you need in a government process?" Roper asked.
    Um, yeah,....isn't that what the whole B.O.R. thing is all about?
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by TaePo View Post
    Come now!

Governments NEVER oppress their own people no less injure or KILL them!

Your obviously just an anti-government extremist

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by TaePo View Post
    oh oh....wait.....

"I'm from the government and I'm here to help"

Bet a millon $ to a donut that the cheif was carrying though....wonder why he would feel the need to carry?

(Lancaster County)

I suppose the chief doesn't like the idea of people keeping him honest. If he feels he has anything to fear from armed citizens, both he and they should thoroughly examine just what it is that he is doing that would warrant it. Comfortable politicians and authorities aren't part of the definition of a free society.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfin View Post
    I suppose the chief doesn't like the idea of people keeping him honest. If he feels he has anything to fear from armed citizens, both he and they should thoroughly examine just what it is that he is doing that would warrant it. Comfortable politicians and authorities aren't part of the definition of a free society.
    Another one that gets it. Guns are supposed to make elected officials nervous.... and hopefully honest.

Remember Meleanie