Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default S&W model 19 Polishing?

I received a stainless S&W model 19and its shows some wear and tear, I was curious if it is possible to polish it in any way without damaging or burning it?

jewlers rouge, aluminum wheel polish by hand? Curious if anything can be done to it without a full gunsmith makeover?
    "North of I-80, we don't dial 911, we dial 223"

(Beaver County)

Default Re: S&W model 19 Polishing?

You can polish until until you are blue in the face, just make sure you do it correctly. What I mean is that you don't want to round edges that should be sharp, or vice versa... The round stuff you can use jewelrs rouge and a muslin wheel, or a dremel tool if you don't have access to a polishing machine/grinder...for the flats, if you have moderate scratches you can block sand starting with a 320 and go up from there and then do a final polish with the dremel being careful not to get a wavy look. Wouldn't mess around with the barrel crown too much, and front and back sides of the cylinder will clean up much easier the smoother they are...good luck

Quote Originally Posted by tollster View Post
    I received a stainless S&W model 19and its shows some wear and tear, I was curious if it is possible to polish it in any way without damaging or burning it?

jewlers rouge, aluminum wheel polish by hand? Curious if anything can be done to it without a full gunsmith makeover?
    Model 66 is Stainless, mod 19 is Blued carbon steel or nickle plating. Don't polish too far, that plating is not thick.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Beaver County)

Good call

I polished it up with my dremel and mothers aluminum polish, what a nice difference.. no issues on burnishing the finish at a low RPM, and kept it moving, very uniform, even holding at various angles. this pistol looked like it was on the hip of a southern bank guard for 30 years! Definitely an everyday holstered fire arm of some sort.. I would love the hear the stories it could tell.

The grips look rough, they have a burnished gold plate about the size of a quarter and say "safariland" inside it. They are hard, but scuffed up pretty good.
    "North of I-80, we don't dial 911, we dial 223"