Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Reticle sight on an AK. Where?

Picked up this for half price new. Its probably not great, but for an AK I wanted more of a point - shoot type weapon. So I thought it would be ok.

http://www.bsaoptics.com/scope.aspx?product=92

AK has the receiver mount on it. So I could put the side sight rail on that curls up over the dust cover. My woman picked up a 4 rail front hand guard because she wants to add a front grip. So... on the back above the dust cover... or... on the front above the fore grip?

I tried mocking it up last night and I just can't decide which feels more natural. A lo pro rail above the dust cover would still leave the front site in the "window". I don't know if that's good or bad. I swept the house (with an obviously unloaded and quadruple checked weapon) bringing the sight into my existing field of vision to aim. But after switching it around a few times front to back. Neither of us could decide which felt more natural.

Opinions?

(Berks County)

Default Re: Reticle sight on an AK. Where?

I like the better on the front, makes for easier access when cleaning your rifle.

That's just me though, because I'm lazy like that.

(Allegheny County)

I thought about that. The make the QD mount for the back. But I don't know how zero it will stay coming on and off every time you shoot. Not that I'm all crazy about it being accurate. But close would be nice. I guess I'll try it on the front and move it if I don't like it.

(Westmoreland County)

The typical com-bloc side rail mounts place optics too high and inhibit a good cheek weld. I recommend mounting it atop the forend using an ultimak.

If you're current setup looks like this then notice the shooter doesn't have a cheek weld, he has a "chin weld" which is not conducive to good marksmanship.

(Allegheny County)

It doesn't. I haven't bought the rear rail yet. She bought the front 4 rail setup so she could mount the lower grip she wants. I have no real tacti-cool intentions. But the top came with the bottom. In fact I avoided the UTG metal rail setup aimsurp has so the basic look of the gun is more original looking. (all black poly bulgy style ak) I just can't see an AK looking all railed up with shit hanging off it - and lights etc... lol.

She bought this;
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/S...ing_Rails.html

Because it still closely resembles this;
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/B...x39_Rifle.html

Which is exactly what we have. ^

As far as aiming, I'm sure you know better so I will just try the front first.

How bad are these poly hand guard mounts going to be? That ultimak gas block rail is pretty steep... my butt hole started to get warm just looking at it.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    The lower HG is fine, in fact I use one of those myself. The upper HG still puts the optic too high for my taste. Notice how much higher the center of the optic is vs. the plane of the rear iron sight.

OTOH, the ultimak is very low profile. In fact, it allows co-witnessing of the iron sights and the optic (I can't be sure about your particular optic but it does for an aimpoint). Regardless, the ultimak is the lowest mount available.

How bad are these poly hand guard mounts going to be? That ultimak gas block rail is pretty steep... my butt hole started to get warm just looking at it.
    Polymer vs aluminum or steel, more depends on how well the HG fits the rifle. If it wobbles, it doesn't matter what material it's made of, zeroing will be impossible.

The ultimak uses a clamping system that cradles the barrel that provides for a very secure fit.

(Allegheny County)

The BSA is basically what they have on it in that picture... I see what you mean.

(Blair County)

Id like to Know how this works out. I was looking at doing this to mine

(Allegheny County)

my setup works for me

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bullgatti View Post
    my setup works for me
    Your optic accommodates that particular railed upper HG because unlike the OP's optic, the base of your optic is a lower profile and places the ocular and objective lenses closer to the plane of the iron sights.

I'd still recommend the ultimak for mounting an optic on an AK variant but I could live with your set up. It's not as low as an ultimak, but it's serviceable.

The com bloc side rail mounts are the least optimal regarding the cheek weld issue.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast