Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default What if you caught someone shoplifting?

First off. This isn't a gun story.

I was on my way home from work and stopped into a Pharmacy for some delicious beverages. As I walk past an aisle, I see a scruffy old man, most likely homeless crackhead or such. He had a stack of Hershey's bars and looked like he was trying to steal them. I ignored him and got my drinks and walked back to the front hastily and he was still there with a handful of something. I got to the register as the old guy was walking out of the store and was kind of gimpy in the leg. I told her that the guy was stealing a bunch of chocolate bars as he's walking out of the lobby. She calls for someone but there's no response. The cashier looks at me with a "help me!" face. I made a smart ass remark about "$5 of chocolate wasn't worth getting AIDS". She lol'd and ran towards the back to get someone as I was leaving the store. I saw the guy in the parking lot, he was none too fast but I turned the other way and went home.

I kind of feel like an asshole for not stepping up to the plate but I don't want to become involved with a bum and a chain pharmacy over a few bucks of merchandise. I fear escalating a situation of minor consequence. What right do I have to stop some dude? What if he punched me in the face or kicked me in the nuts? I'd probably have kicked his ass but to what consequence on my part, would I lose my LTCF? I guess I've become a pussy because I fear the legal consequences of doing the right thing. I'd probably get sued by the ACLU for kicking a crackheads ass and end up paying for his habit the next 30 years.

What are your thoughts on that and/or what would you have done? Would you go after the guy?
    "Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: What if you caught someone shoplifting?

Not worth it.

Tell the store employee/mgr.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

You told store employee...leave it at that...not your responsibility. Getting kicked in the nuts hurts

(Lebanon County)

Actually.....

my husband was a store detective for years. I don't know if the laws have changed (or maybe he has them wrong like the Philly OC laws?) (damn I am on a roll tonight) but anyway, assuming he was correct and that they have not changed, if you're going to detain someone for shoplifting you HAVE to have seen WHAT they took EXACTLY and you have to know EXACTLY where they have it on them. I am thinking the odds are a lot of people in the shoplifting business may not know the law (assuming I have it correct as per discussions with my husband) but...I'm just saying... I don't think they could have done anything to him anyway so I don't think you are in the wrong or have anything to feel bad about.

Quote Originally Posted by D-FENS View Post
    snip
    What are your thoughts on that and/or what would you have done? Would you go after the guy?
    No, I'm no longer paid for that crap, and I'm not putting myself in harm's way for someone else's chocolate bar. Absent physical harm being done to someone, I'm not messing with it.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Dauphin County)

no, you did right, not worth the trouble, especially if you're carrying.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by shefearsnothing View Post
    Actually.....

my husband was a store detective for years. I don't know if the laws have changed (or maybe he has them wrong like the Philly OC laws?) (damn I am on a roll tonight) but anyway, assuming he was correct and that they have not changed, if you're going to detain someone for shoplifting you HAVE to have seen WHAT they took EXACTLY and you have to know EXACTLY where they have it on them. I am thinking the odds are a lot of people in the shoplifting business may not know the law (assuming I have it correct as per discussions with my husband) but...I'm just saying... I don't think they could have done anything to him anyway so I don't think you are in the wrong or have anything to feel bad about.
    I think thats correct. Since that level of store theft is a misdemeanor, you have to witness it happen. Only felonies can support arrest on the belief that a crime has been committed or about to be committed.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Centre County)

I'm kinda so-so on the matter. If I actually saw him stuff it in has pants, shirt, coat, etc AND saw him go past the register (obviously not going to pay) towards the door then I would tell an employee/manager. Shoplifting hurts everybody because the store just raises prices to offset the thefts, so I would report a shoplifter if I see it happen.

However, without seeing everything he did you really don't know if he did take something. He could have, but had seen you looking at him and took it out and put it on a shelf somewhere else.

The circumstantial evidence might be good for a store detective, but as a civilian accusing someone of something I would have to be 100% sure.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Lebanon County)

I did double check with him and he said yeah, you don't mess with people unless you know for SURE and you, as a shopper, have NO authority much less obligation. He said even when he was working he could not involve a "regular" employee but had to get management to help if he thought someone was going to give him a hard time. He said there is actually no "set law" as far as stopping someone so I was wrong about that BUT he said if you stop them (you being someone who actually has the authority) and they do not have something on them where you said and you can't get them to give it up then they can turn around and file a civil suit so that's just NOT smart at all! He knew his job though. He caught a LOT of them....got maced and pepper sprayed by people and all kinds of crazy shit. He caught an escaped murderer one time.... that was all before he was 22 mind you....

You did the right thing!

Nobody got hurt and thats the most important thing.

He's probably homeless or a junkie. Thats all you would have needed, kicking a junkies ass. Don't you know that being a dope fiend is a "disease". I could only imagine the headlines if you beat the shit out of a "sick" person.

Now if it was a woman stealing arm fulls of chocolate bars that would mean PMS, and my advice to you would be mind your own business and look the other way, it could get ugly, very, very, ugly. A woman, chocolate and PMS....RUN!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast