Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Polish Radom P-64 (9x18) Makarov

What is the story on these? Are they quality or are they junk?

I've read the story behind them that they replaced the TT-33 for the Polish Army/Government Agencies.

Are the Circle 11 marked pistol good or bad?

This would just be a pistol to add to my collection and just shot for fun. Not a carry piece or anything like that.

Default Re: Polish Radom P-64 (9x18) Makarov

They are pretty good and for the price you can not beat it now a days. I've been thinking about picking up another 9x18 Makarov and the P-64 is on my list, or a new Tokarev. Just the Tokeravs I want are now SKYHIGH in price, so the new one is in the price range I want to spend for one.

Scootch00 did a good review (like usual ) on one, it may help...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=XQ34i3NYWL0

(Montgomery County)

Probably the largest caliber you can get in a fixed barrel pistol. (Besides a hipoint).

Do the spring mods. Or dont shoot it in double action. Sometimes hurts your palms.

Otherwise, good value. I got 2 for $ 189 each years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Torque View Post
    They are pretty good and for the price you can not beat it now a days. I've been thinking about picking up another 9x18 Makarov and the P-64 is on my list, or a new Tokarev. Just the Tokeravs I want are now SKYHIGH in price, so the new one is in the price range I want to spend for one.

Thanks for the link. Very informative and I agree a nice review of the firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Paine View Post
    Probably the largest caliber you can get in a fixed barrel pistol. (Besides a hipoint).

Do the spring mods. Or dont shoot it in double action. Sometimes hurts your palms.

Otherwise, good value. I got 2 for $ 189 each years ago.
    24lb to 17lb is quite a difference but still a heavy trigger pull. Did you do the spring mod? If so did you install them yourself? If so was it easy?
    Last edited by PA1936MN; November 6th, 2014 at 07:08 AM.

Sootch00 - the one in the video - did another good vid of him installing the spring mod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=aRhMnRs6Gi0

Very good quality and design. Trigger is long and HEAVY , but I've heard there is a spring kit. Kinda like a PPKs , but noticeably thicker , like a Polish girls ankle!

Being half Polish myself , I do want one to go with my WWII P-35 and 50's TT-33 Radoms. I see them at shows , but they're marked up $50- $100 more than I can buy direct with my C&R.

Radom also makes some very high quality yet very reasonably priced precision measuring tools.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA1936MN View Post
    What is the story on these? Are they quality or are they junk?
    They're similar to a Walther PPK but not identical inside.

The DA trigger pull is awful, around 18 pounds. You really have to bear down on the first shot. The SA trigger is almost perfect. It's really a sweet trigger on SA.

Recoil is brutal. A heavier recoil spring helps a bit. I did not modify the hammer spring because I did not know how it would impact on hammer strike.

I've considered wood grips for it. I'm told that it helps a lot.

This isn't a Makarov. Taking down the slide assembly is touchy. The Makarov is better and heavier than the Czak (that's its name).

Are the Circle 11 marked pistol good or bad?
    Mine is Circle 11. Works fine. Fit and finish is at least as good as the Makarov

This would just be a pistol to add to my collection and just shot for fun. Not a carry piece or anything like that.
    Perfectly fine carry pistol. I wouldn't feel the least uncomfortable carrying one.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneCC View Post
    They're similar to a Walther PPK but not identical inside.

The DA trigger pull is awful, around 18 pounds. You really have to bear down on the first shot. The SA trigger is almost perfect. It's really a sweet trigger on SA.

Recoil is brutal. A heavier recoil spring helps a bit. I did not modify the hammer spring because I did not know how it would impact on hammer strike.

I've considered wood grips for it. I'm told that it helps a lot.

This isn't a Makarov. Taking down the slide assembly is touchy. The Makarov is better and heavier than the Czak (that's its name).

Mine is Circle 11. Works fine. Fit and finish is at least as good as the Makarov

Perfectly fine carry pistol. I wouldn't feel the least uncomfortable carrying one.

I have a carry piece already so no need to carry this one.

When you say recoil is brutal can you compare it to something else? I felt shooting a cowboy style 44mag was brutal. I felt shooting a KelTec PF9 was al it's brutal.

This reminds me of the size of a BERSA Thunder 380 in style/size. Which I've owned and loved.

(Westmoreland County)

I have a carry piece already so no need to carry this one.

When you say recoil is brutal can you compare it to something else? I felt shooting a cowboy style 44mag was brutal. I felt shooting a KelTec PF9 was al it's brutal.

This reminds me of the size of a BERSA Thunder 380 in style/size. Which I've owned and loved.
    I own a P-64 and an S&W Airweight. They're comparable in recoil. A "snap" against the base of the hand. The 45 ACP and 44 special have a heavier recoil but it's more a "push" than a snap.

I'd still carry one. It's a nice compact firearm.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by Torque View Post

The Romanian and Polish Tokerav's go for $240-$250 on Aim Surplus and Classic Arms, that's a steal for such a wonderful pistol.
    Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast