Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Pike County)

Thumbs up Re: Most accurate hunting rifle

what about the winchester 70 model in 30 06? that is my deer rifle and my (sniper) rifle and I find it very accurate even though I want to get a choate sniper stock for it,does someone has some inputs about this combo?
    "one loves to possess arms, tho they hope never to have occasion for them." Thomas Jefferson in a letter to George Washington 6/19/1796glockguy68...shoot safe...NRA member...US infidel...

Default Re: Most accurate hunting rifle

Glockguy, you might be stealing the thread, so you might want to start another about that topic. I'll be happy to contribute to my opinion of that combination, but will not here out of respect for the original poster of this thread.

On topic though, I think that all of those rifles work well as a hunting rifle. As such, I personally wouldn't make such a big deal out of which one is more accurate, all of them will most likely shoot under 1 moa at 100 yards with good loads. Many of those rifles will probably shoot .75 or slightly below, 3 shot groups with hand loads. Either way, I don't know that you can ask that much more out of a stock hunting rifle. I like the Remington 700's, and think they're pretty tough. The savages are hard to beat for the money, and will shoot just as accurately. I think it all comes down to what someone's preference is.

(Pike County)

Red face Re: Most accurate hunting rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    Glockguy, you might be stealing the thread, so you might want to start another about that topic. I'll be happy to contribute to my opinion of that combination, but will not here out of respect for the original poster of this thread
    sorry is that what you thought,I just mention my rifle and what I think it is,everybody has an opinion,I just post mine,I wasn't trying to steal your thread or no ones,it was just my opinion of what I got and what Im gonna do to upgrade it,that was not my intention...
    "one loves to possess arms, tho they hope never to have occasion for them." Thomas Jefferson in a letter to George Washington 6/19/1796glockguy68...shoot safe...NRA member...US infidel...

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by elitefirearms View Post
    In your opinion what is the most accurate hunting rifle made today. Im not talking custom guns. I mean a rifle that you could see at your local gunstore. Caliber will make a difference but for arguements sake lets say they are all in 30.06.

Remington
    Sako
    Tikka
    Savage
    Weatherby
    Mossberg
    Ruger

And let the arguements begin
    Out of the box (e.g. no aftermarket or gunsmithing enhancements) the Sako will probably outshoot the others.

(Bedford County)

The question is invalid because it omits many variables... what you're hunting for, at what distance, in what climate, with what type of rest, or no rest... the most accurate gun I have, discounting all variables (meaning I'm standing up, shooting with no rest and open sights), is my Winchester Trapper .44 Magnum. I can murder ten soda cans at 50 yards every time. With my CZ .308, I can usually hit a quarter at 100 yards, but not always.
    "Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day." -George Carlin

(Elk County)

In my experience, the most intrinsically accurate out of the box bolt-action hunting rifle is the Savage, with the CZ following.

In the past, the stocks on Remingtons and Winchesters have been too variable. The Remingtons that I've either owned, fired, or improved upon all shot better once I removed the nub of wood from the front of the barrel channel.

Savage bolt actions might no be much to look at, but in my experience they usually perform, yielding comparatively tight groups.

Noah

Hokkmike Guest

Sako, clearly.

Very difficult question to answer. Accuracy at 600 yards is usually markedly different than accuracy at 50 yards. If I had to pick a rifle that was overall accurate it would be a weatherby mark V. Folks that picked remington or browning, get one accurate and capable of killing an elephant:-). The target also dictates accuracy and efficiency. I will still take the weatherby (I have a slew of them so have to justify their existence here at the house :-))
    Weatherby fan: 240, 257, 270, 7mm, 300, 30-378, 338-378: remington owner
    220 swift and 22-250. Born and raised in Pa.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by BobC View Post
    Very difficult question to answer. Accuracy at 600 yards is usually markedly different than accuracy at 50 yards. If I had to pick a rifle that was overall accurate it would be a weatherby mark V. Folks that picked remington or browning, get one accurate and capable of killing an elephant:-). The target also dictates accuracy and efficiency. I will still take the weatherby (I have a slew of them so have to justify their existence here at the house :-))
    bold is mine

Well, the OP did say limit it to the .30-06 round, which is what Teddy Roosevelt used to bag an elephant, and since I'd need optics the size of the hubble space telescope to even see a target at 600 yds, I'm sticking with Browning.
    You are a straight white man. You don't get to be the victim, sweetie.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12