Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Tom Corbett has no one to blame but himself

I've been reading various threads where people are wondering why Corbett Lost. I've seen blaming the media, people lying about him, low information voters, etc..... there might be some truth to that, but I think putting the blame on those factors is as disingenuous as saying "he lost because PAFOA members did not get out doing door to door and campaign for him". That is not why he lost. Corbett was his own worst enemy.

He lost because he ran a horrible campaign and had a lot of exploitable moments that he created during his first term. When I screw up, I do not look to blame others, nor do I look for others to make excuses for me, the buck stop here and should for Corbett also imo.

Campaign wise, I did door to door for the Republican party. When I first started a little over a month ago I was talking up Corbett among others, but I quickly realized that we were not passing out any literature for him. There were 4 people that we were campaigning for. We had literature for every candidate but him. That's a bit of oversight on his campaigns part. imo (fortunately the other 3 people won, and I can say they all worked hard to do so)

Signs, As I did door to door, I was asking if people wanted signs on their lawns for the candidates, I did not realize at the time that we had signs for the local candidates, but did not have Corbett signs and it was not until someone on this site pointed out that they could not get a Corbett sign that I notices the signs going up did not include Corbett signs. I did not get a Corbett sign for my yard until last week. I don't know if it was like this across the state, but it seems like a basic lack of preparedness that typifies the election.

Over last couple of weeks I have talked to a couple of people who have dealt with him over the last 4 years, one of the things I heard is that he is difficult to work with. I believe it because it makes sense. He is a Republican Governor whose party was in control of the house and senate, yet he constantly had trouble pushing his agenda. This is like being handed the keys to the palace, and throwing the keys away because you would rather use a sledgehammer to get through the door. There is not reason why he should not of gotten more of his agenda through. The one thing he is known for is his no tax pledge, which would be fine except for the gas tax which has led to Pa having the highest gas tax in the nation.

Btw.... while I like the idea of not raising taxes, I think it is foolish making that promise because you've worked yourself into a corner when things come up during your term. 4 years is a long time, and you don't know what is going to happen. George Bush senior (who I was a fan of) found this out back in 1992 after failing to make good on his "no new taxes" pledge.

Give or take it looks like he lost by about 450,000 votes, it sounds like a lot, but is not insurmountable given a good campaign. Basically he would either of needed to get 226,000 people to switch their vote, or get more people out, most likely a combo, and that was probably doable, but because of the campaign he ran, it did not happen.

This is not Monday morning quarterbacking here, this is stuff that people here, in the media, and in politics saw. One of the biggest things that he took a hit on was education, despite what people here might think of the education system, it is a big deal to a lot of people and a hot button issue which hurt him. Yes I realize that the reason a lot of districts took cuts was that federal funds dried up, and the teacher unions most certainly did play the angle that he was responsible for the cuts. Most here know this, I know this, but talking to a lot of people, they don't realize this. Ideally this is what I would have liked to of seen over the last 6-9 months in commercials.

Corbett in every interview and commercial pushing the idea of why the cuts happened and what would happen if he significantly started to replace the federal monies.

Corbett: Pa has not cut money to schools, the Obama run federal government has. Pa can replace the money, but that will mean tax increases for every Pennsylvanian. You already pay enough taxes, but Wolf will be raising Pa Citizens taxes to make up for what the federal government no longer supplies. I have not allowed any taxes to be added at the state level. The taxes at the state level are the same that you were paying when I took office, think about that. (except he couldn't really say that because of the gas tax) You will not be able to say the same thing if Wolf has his way. You will be paying more money 4 years from now in taxes.

Commercials like this over the last 9 months may have driven home his message better than he did. A better campaign strategy may have made it seem like he really cared about his constituents and that he wanted to be reelected. It may have gotten more people out to vote for him and maybe swayed some former Corbett voters away from Wolf. Or maybe not, but I would have a better taste in my mouth today if I had the impression that he cared and was putting effort in to being reelected.

Taxing the Marcelus Shale gas, there may be reason not to tax it (cost eventually being pushed onto consumers etc....) but him not doing so was the type of thing that was easy to spin by his opponents. He left himself open to the criticism for this with the no tax promise.

Pension reform, this was a big part of his agenda, he had a republican legislature, there could have been at least some type of deal worked, but somehow he fumbled, blame whomever you want, I put it at the feet of Corbett. The buck stops with him.

Liquor store fiasco, another part of Corbett's Agenda that he fumbled.

The handling of the Penn State case with Sandusky, first saying that Pa was okay with the NCAA sanctions then changing his mind, and spending a bunch of tax payer money in the process made him look like a fool. Once again, it's on Corbett. Not too mention how he handled the case as a prosecutor, Kane say there was no wrong doing on his part, but there were still a lot of things that occurred that made him look bad and certainly has not helped his image as a governor.

I say the above because when I hear people say "how could he lose" and then blame everybody but him, I've got to say he lost because of Tom Corbett, not the media, not the unions, etc..... And it's a shame because there is no reason to be looking at 4 years of Wolf and a potential anti agenda from the Governor.

In my opinion Tom Wolf did not win, Tom Corbett lost handing the election to Wolf. Wolf does not have a mandate. Fortunately pro 2nd forces still control the house and Senate so while no pro 2nd legislation may get passed over the next 4 (or crap, the next 8) he should not be able to hurt the 2nd in Pa either.

But if we continue to be diverted by blaming the media and others for his loss instead of focusing on getting a candidate who supports the 2nd that won't be his own worst enemy, we could be looking at 8 years of Wolf, let's not let that happen.
    Last edited by internet troll; November 5th, 2014 at 09:05 PM.

Default Re: Tom Corbett has no one to blame but himself

Its sad that the guy with the most money and best commercials wins.

not even half of our registered voters in PA voted.

Figure, most were fed up with corbett and couldnt stomach voting for wolf so they just stayed home.

+ I think alot of people are so fed up with politics anymore that they don't care/trust anyone.
    a slow death awaits you,but not before love reminds you that there is good in you

Quote Originally Posted by Stooperzero View Post

+ I think alot of people are so fed up with politics anymore that they don't care/trust anyone.
    My exact feelings also.

(Allegheny County)

Agreed, Corbett kept his head down and though he would just get along and he would be fine. Look at all the Governors that won, they went big legislatively and let everyone know how they were improving the jobs and welfare of their residents.

Tom says hey I cut the deficit and state vehicles? Well whoop tee doo.

Where did you actually do something about the 800 pound elephant in the room known as the Pa. Pension nightmare coming down the tracks. Oh you and the rest of the republican wienies kicked the can down the road. Ending school property taxes, oh we'll do that later, when later in the twenty second century?

The week before you signed one bill for the gun owners of this state. What have the republicans done in this state under four years of having all three branches of the Government? Pretty much they did diddly squat.

Lastly the people who ran Corbett's campaign need to be called out and run out of the state for being paid to be absolutely useless as political consultants. They should never ever be able to get another job in this state running a republican campaign.

(Bucks County)

I agree with the OP. Corbett isn't exactly a rock star and he doesn't seem very personable. It is pretty sad that politics has become a popularity contest nowadays.

He could have done so much more with holding the Governorship and both state houses. Look at what Scott Walker managed to do in Wisconsin without that benefit. He has no one to blame but himself, his PR people and the State GOP.

I had to laugh when he thanked his campaign manager last night. He should be suing him for malpractice instead.

Fact is Corbett was a poor choice for the RNC nomination from the gitty up.
    He was a pro 2A AG, but was also very establishment. He either did not want to be gov or he thought he would ordained a second term. He and the rnc basically fucked us IMO by backing Corbett. We got stuck with him, and now paying for it.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Luzerne County)

It seems he just put in a token effort at re election.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Delaware County)

What happened in the Pa Governors race ran against the grain of what happened on the national stage. The new governor and his hot air campaign agenda will have some problems with the republican controlled state congress.

Wuff may very well end up with the same years of service in the governors' mansion as Corbett.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by c45man View Post
    What happened in the Pa Governors race ran against the grain of what happened on the national stage. The new governor and his hot air campaign agenda will have some problems with the republican controlled state congress.

Wuff may very well end up with the same years of service in the governors' mansion as Corbett.
    I hope it's even fewer. I hope this schmuck screws up on a royal scale, gets impeached, and is thown out of office in disgraceful failure.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast