Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default My S&W 629-8 plus $$ for their 629-2. Good idea or not?

My 629-8 has a 6 1/2" barrel, full underlug, hivis front sight and vnotch rear blade. It of course has a round butt and a lock. The 629-2 I came across has a 6" barrel and half lug under. It has a perfect set of original wood grips and looks to be in near perfect condition. It is not the model -2E. The owner of the shop was not in and the salesmen did not know the specifics. Obviously they won't be interested in a gun for gun swap and I'll have to pay but what do you think a fair number would be? Am I foolish to be entertaining this at all? I hate my front sight, a ramp sight has been on backorder for months, but I really like the idea of a square butt frame with perfect wood grips. I welcome all input and will add that my gun is both in great shape and accurate and reliable as well. Thanks, Brian

DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: My S&W 629-8 plus $$ for their 629-2. Good idea or not?

I would gain the grip and frame I want, traditional sights, no lock and stamped logo vs the one that's barely etched into mine. I would lose a half inch of barrel, some weight, case hardened trigger and hammer and the definitive knowledge of how well mine works. I'm totally on the fence at this point since I don't know how much cash on my end the shop will ask for. Ill probably come up with a number and if it doesn't work for them, so be it. On a side note I walked away from a blued four inch Python for a thousand dollars about five years ago from this very shop. Oh how I wish I had that right now.....

DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Delaware County)

The locks don't bother me. I wouldn't trade a good gun plus cash for pretty much the same gun.

(Philadelphia County)

Your gun is tougher due to the stainless finish and after the -2E (e stood for endurance package) all smiths contained it so your gun has it. The classic on the otherhand is really hard for me to resist. I had a 29-2 with 3 Ts and I foolishly sold it when I bought a 629-7.

As for the price difference... I've never tried to trade to a store but I know they lowball to stay in business. It's usually better if I sell my gun on a forum and then buy the one I want. It would suck though if the one you want is go a by the time you sold yours.
    Go head, skin it. Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens.

(Bucks County)

are the differences between the two really worth your gun plus cash??? i suppose it all depends on how much cash you have to put up. 100 bucks or less maybe its worth it but anything more than a 100 i would keep your gun and consider purchasing the other gun. can't you just buy yourself a set of wood grips? doesn't seem to me like its worth the effort to trade.

(Luzerne County)

How bad do you want the other gun?

Me I would just change out the grips.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Lancaster County)

Unfortunately a simply grip change won't quite do it. The round to square butt conversion put out by Smith is way too thin. I have my extra cash number in my head and plan to give it until the weekend to see if it sells. If not I'll make my offer and see what comes if it.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Elk County)

If you won't shoot the 29-2 much, then go for it. If it's going to be a frequent shooter, stay with what you have.

S&W didn't develop the endurance package for no reason, and there are plenty of 29-2s out there with the wear and tear to prove it.

JMO,

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Westmoreland County)

I don't buy safe queens. I shoot everything I buy. So, that being said if I were you I'd just work on the price of the gun at his shop and buy it. Then sell your existing gun(s) to fund the purchase of the new ones. It will end up costing you less that way. After all, if you go to his gun shop the day after you make the deal and see what he's going to sell your guns for, you will probably cry all the way home.

MHO

Dave

(Bucks County)

I don't see where you're really gaining anything. you're trading yours plus cash?

are you running a fever?

this is not really a win, my friend...I'd pass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast