Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Question whats your fav 12 ga slug for deer hunting?

I just picked up a sweet deal on a 870 sps 12 ga slug gun, full rifled BBL. I topped it with Nikon prostaff 2-7 BDC 200 scope. I am looking for ideas as to the best slugs...

I have not carried a slug gun since I was 20 years old and I used remmy green box slugs and was happy to print 5 in a pie plate at 50 yards. I know things have gotten better.

Most my shots will be inside 100 yards but few could streatch out lil father (cut corn fields).

Thanks Koz
    WHAT I DON'T SEE ANYTHING...

(Northampton County)

Default Re: whats your fav 12 ga slug for deer hunting?

Winchester Partition Gold in 2 3/4 is my go to sabot in my Ithaca. Be warned, slug/ sabot guns are finicky. What works in my gun might not work in yours. Go out and buy a couple different brands and give them a try. Try to spread it over a couple trips to the range, your shoulder will thank you for it. Also, you should consider running a bore snake through the barrel every five rounds or so, sabot barrels tend to shit up quick.

Frank

(Bucks County)

I am thinking lightfields 2 3/4 xpt. I like the fact that these dump all KE into the animal.
    WHAT I DON'T SEE ANYTHING...

Try rem copper solids, Breneke rotwiel sabots, ETC ETC but to say you like 1 without trying more than a few others is not really the way slug guns work. what you are looking for is consistant good 3 shot groups. Some like sabot, some will shoot foster slugs like nobodies business (but will have a bitch of a time cleaning lead out of the grooves) Some like bullets in the wad cup types. You have to sink some time and money into finding the most accurate rounds that work with your slug gun. Mine likes the Remington copper solids. I found this out by buying 6 -8 different loads and banging away for most of a day ( and yes I was sore the next day.) One of the things I found was the 2 3/4 rounds did better than the 3'. But just buying a slug based on the advertisement is not the way to go about it.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Bucks County)

Currently using the hornady 2 &3/4 sabot, cheap around 10 to 12 bucks box, I liked lightfields but they went up $ and less common, both shoot 2" groups at 100yds for me.

(Allegheny County)

I'm a Rem copper solids guy.

couple weeks ago.

Wasnt sure what order these are in but I was just shooting 2 shot groups for a few years to see if I hit paper

Same day at 200 yds. 21 and 25" low. POA was center of top target.

Lightfields left copper solids right

When Allegheny Co stopped allowing rifle use, I bought a 20" rifled bbl Ithaca and put a cheap Simmon 3X9 on top. I ran some Federal rifled slugs, both 2 3/4" and 3". They grouped poorly.
    I started using BRI sabots who were bought out by Winchester. I used those for a few years and got some Lightfields and Copper solids. Last target shows the difference which was negligible at 100.

Some others I tried.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.