Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The definition of open/concealed carry

So if I am carrying concealed and my shirt blows up and the weapon is visible I get in trouble… right? And if I am carrying open and my shirt falls over my weapon I get in trouble… right?

Just trying to understand.
    <a href=http://militarysignatures.com target=_blank><a href=http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member623.png target=_blank>http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member623.png</a></a>

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: The definition of open/concealed carry

Open carry is legal, so your shirt rises and exposes your handgun is not a problem.

Open carry is legal without a license to carry, so if you do not have a LTC, your shirt covering your handgun would present a problem.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by B.L. Hall View Post
    Just trying to understand.
    I am not a lawyer.

As long as you are not a prohibited person or in a prohibited place:

Open carry is legal without a license outside of Philadelphia (you need a license for any sort of carry in Philly). Without a license, you *must* open carry in Pennsylvania; use safety pins to hold your shirt back/down if you must.

With a License To Carry Firearms, concealed carry as well as open carry is legal throughout all of Pennsylvania.

So, if you have a license, your shirt could "flap in the breeze" all day long and you would be 'legal'.

-Bruce
    Cogito, ergo armatus sum.
    ...Say that to my face.

thanks... I am from Pa and will be moving back. Right now I am stationed in NY. I have a concealed carry permit here and if your weapon is seen by anyone and reported you loose you permit and gun... or so they threaten anyway...

thanks
    <a href=http://militarysignatures.com target=_blank><a href=http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member623.png target=_blank>http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member623.png</a></a>

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by B.L. Hall View Post
    if your weapon is seen by anyone and reported you loose you permit and gun... or so they threaten anyway...
    You'll likely hear that nonsense in PA as well. Just rest assured that it is nonsense. Unfortunately though, it's nonsense that enjoys widespread belief.
    Last edited by ChamberedRound; July 1st, 2008 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Fixed quote

(Berks County)

One issue that's a problem is if you covered the weapon with a shirt, or if the weapon was accidentally covered, and you DIDN'T have a License to Carry. In that case, you're carrying concealed without a license.

So, if you're open carrying without a license, make sure it's really out in the open, so no one can claim you were trying to conceal. If you get an LTC, however, the point is moot; you will allowed to conceal, and if you reveal it's no problem as OC is perfectly legal in PA.

Also note that OC in a car is NOT legal. So, if you're OC'ing without a license, you need to unload and store the weapon, or again, get an LTC so you can carry in the car.
    Last edited by ChamberedRound; July 1st, 2008 at 09:21 AM.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Montgomery County)

The simple fact is: get the LTCF to avoid transportation issues even if you intend to open carry on foot. Then you are covered in almost all situations.

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed...ion-rules.html

(Wayne County)

Just a few days ago I was shooting with a friend who also has a LTCF and we had a slight discussion on the concealed end of things...he had been told when he got his LTCF that he had to keep it concealed. I told him that was incorrect. He said the license was for "concealed carry"....I asked him to show me where on the license it says that....he could not. I explained the laws to him and told him to look for himself. He was amazed that he could openly carry or have the gun show with no problems. He said they misled him when he got his LTCF...and I believe that.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    So, if you're OC'ing without a license, you need to unload and store the weapon...
    No, No, NO.

Unless traveling directly between specific locations that are explicitly exempted by statute, even unloading the weapon for travel will not make you legal. Stay on foot or get a LTCF. This includes making a stop "on the way" to or from an exempted destination.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    Open carry is legal, so your shirt rises and exposes your handgun is not a problem.

Open carry is legal without a license to carry, so if you do not have a LTC, your shirt covering your handgun would present a problem.
    *bold is mine

Unless it happens in front of a psycho State Trooper(voice of experience...)

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    One issue that's a problem is if you covered the weapon with a shirt, or if the weapon was accidentally covered, and you DIDN'T have a License to Carry. In that case, you're carrying concealed without a license.

So, if you're open carrying without a license, make sure it's really out in the open, so no one can claim you were trying to conceal. If you get an LTC, however, the point is moot; you will allowed to conceal, and if you reveal it's no problem as OC is perfectly legal in PA.

Also note that OC in a car is NOT legal. So, if you're OC'ing without a license, you need to unload and store the weapon, or again, get an LTC so you can carry in the car.
    *Bold is mine

To clarify, you may not carry a firearm in a vehicle without a license, unless you are traveling to or from a place specifically stated in the exceptions to 6106. Your N.Y. permit should cover you due to the any license from any state exception(gnbrotz or Pa. Patriot can correct me if I am wrong here, but I don't believe I am), until you get a LTCF from Pa.

Although it is legal, I would strongly suggest nobody OC without having a LTCF. While it may work out in the end, having one will save you uncounted trouble.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast