Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Wanna get into hunting

I've been wanting to try hunting for the first time this year. I'm kinda getting bored of eating chicken and beef all the time (surprisingly enough), and I need to get up and out more often. I've taken HTE and picked up my basic set of licenses so far, but there's just so much to figure out.

As far as what I'm looking to hunt, probably deer, grouse, and/or pheasant to start. I've had venison once before, and I kinda liked it (though it's been a while). Never had grouse or pheasant, though I'd like to try. Interested in the upland birds because if my dog moves to PA with me, I'd like to spend more time with her, training and all.

The biggest questions, of course, are where and how. Where should I go? I think the closest SGL to me is in Wexford? I've been trying to read up through a bunch of different sources, but any tips on exactly what I should be doing, both now and once firearms season starts? As far as upland birds go, is it even worth it without a dog? Best days and times for either? Should I pick up an anterless license for 2B?

And of course, there's equipment... sorting between must-have, nice-to-have, and gimmicks. I have some camo, blaze orange vest and hats, an upland coat, a small pack and a broken in pair of boots. I know for sure that I need to pick up a sharp knife (my Leatherman probably won't cut it). As far as firearms goes, I'm awaiting an Ithaca 37 12ga combo. That may take a while since I'm having some work done to it, so I may get something else while I wait. But is there anything else I should get? Treestand? Optics, or will the open sights on the rifled barrel suffice? Other things that will make life easier?

There's also the fact that I'm an apartment dweller with a midsized sedan, so transportation and storage can be tricky. The most logical advice I've heard was using tarps and a body bag in the trunk, as bizarre as that sounds. I've heard about those hitch haulers, but my car doesn't have a hitch, and adding one is a bit more than I'd like to do to my car, for now.

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks a bunch in advanced! And of course, if someone wants to take me out under their guidance, that'd be immensely appreciated! (Yeah, I know, that sounded kinda pathetic on my part)

Default Re: Wanna get into hunting

My friend is a huge upland bird hunter and he has three dedicated hunting dogs. I don't know the age of your dog, but it may be a bit too late to train a dog for hunting.

If I was to get serious about upland, I'd have a dedicated bird dog as those dogs are going to put you on more animals. Sure, you can hunt without dogs, but having dogs will help you be successful.

I had Pheasant last year and it tasted like crap. I'm sure in the end it's how it's prepared, but I can tell you I didn't like it at all.

You really should address your questions in multiple threads as you are asking a lot of questions.

Best thing for you to do is to get yourself a hunting partner to show you the ropes. I just hope you find someone that won't teach you any bad habits.

I live on the other side of the state from you, so I wouldn't be able to give you any tips on areas to hunt.

If you are going rifle hunting for PA Whitetail, make sure you dress well. It can get darn cold during rifle season. I try to do most of my hunting during archery due to less hunters in the woods and warmer weather (normally).

Having some latex gloves is a good item to have on hand to help you gut the animals.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Wanna get into hunting

The biggest thing would be if the dog is gun shy or not. I bring my beagle hunting with me sometimes. He's old and we picked him up as a rescue. We've had him 5 years I guess. He's had no formal training and honestly we knew nothing of his past when we adopted him. We guess he's about 10 or 11 years old now. They assumed he was between 4 and 6 when we got him. He's slower than the other dogs I hunt with but HE loves it and I love spending the time with him.

He puts up more birds than the bird dogs do sometimes. He'll circle and circle an area until he puts the bird up whereas the bird dogs are moving 100mph and have since given up on an area. He only knows what a rabbit looks like when we're walking around the neighborhood in the evening. In the field he cares only about pheasants.