Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Schuylkill County)

Default Refund on Suppressor if Denied

I am looking to purchase a suppressor for my Rem 700 AAC-SD in .308. I was browsing around the local dealers websites and on the one I found the following statement, "Suppressor payments are non-refundable if the customer does not receive approval."

Is this common practice, or is this this particular dealer? I do not see a reason that I would be denied other than CLEO sign off, but i am not really willing to forfeit several hundred dollars if I cannot get the approval.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Refund on Suppressor if Denied

That's my dealer's policy as well. When you purchase it, it's yours, it's just in your dealer's safe waiting on the stamp. If you were denied, you would then have to re-sell the suppressor to someone else & wait for their stamp to clear. I can only imagine your dealer would buy it off you at a reduced price & then put it back for sale in their shop.

(Berks County)

Also, think about it from your dealer's point of view. Someone comes in & buys a suppressor. They have to trust that they're not going to do something stupid in the next few months that will make them a prohibited person, then they're out that profit and time with the suppressor. It's not a fair situation to them if something happens.

(Washington County)

Standard procedure to buy the NFA toy up front then file paperwork. If you get denied you can sell it to the dealer or someone else at a loss.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Westmoreland County)

OP, I would not have a reason for concern. If you are able to legally buy a handgun in PA there is no reason you would be denied for any NFA purchase by the ATF. Only you know if there would be an issue.

If you think you may have a problem with a CLEO signature then my recommendation would be to use a trust and make it easy.

As stated, it is going to be everyone's policy that firearm sales are final and non-refundable. For title I guns nobody, not even Walmart will return them due to safety reasons.
    CDS ARMS.com - 'LIKE' Us - MG Rentals - Colt Defense AR-15 & Glock Certified Armorer

(Schuylkill County)

Spoke with Sheriff and sign off should not be a problem. Just another background check.

As for the trust, I thought they were going to change the rules to require the CLEO sign off for everyone on the trust. Just curious.

(Washington County)

That decision has been put off until some time in 2015. ATF has a lot of comments to respond to before they will change the rules.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by cds_arms View Post
    <snip>

As stated, it is going to be everyone's policy that firearm sales are final and non-refundable. For title I guns nobody, not even Walmart will return them due to safety reasons.
    True for many Title 1 gun stores but not all.

Not that it ever happened to me at any LGS I bought at, but the Interwebs are rampant with tales of guns that didn't measure up and were returned to the buyer's LGS for refunds.

I need to have an LGS like that near me...

Anyway; Ask in advance and if you don't like the dealer's answer, buy elsewhere.

For an MG costing MANY thousands, the NFA selling dealers I've known that were selling such an item direct (as opposed to transferring one in from out of state) will take a refundable/partially-refundable down payment of some amount on the gun with the no-F4-signature out-clause.

Don't risk buying your MG any other way just in case your CLEO jams you on the F4 or the Trust trick gets taken away while you were saving up.

Suppressors OTOH are still being made for private transfers, and in plentiful numbers, and by many mfgs - a commodity item like a Ruger 10/22, the polar opposite of an MG34 or PPsh41.

I can definitely understand the you-bought-it-you-own-it-regardless attitude.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Bucks County)

I'd like to get a supressor for my SR22/MkIII for plinking.

Never had one before, what are the steps I need to take?

Thanks
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by buxbandit View Post
    I'd like to get a supressor for my SR22/MkIII for plinking.

Never had one before, what are the steps I need to take?

Thanks
    Read first, then come back with specific question's. Bucks County Sheriff will sign off on your paper work. Also, way to hi-jack a thread.

http://forum.pafoa.org/nfa-class-3-t...a-jaybell.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast