i have always loved reading about the model 29 revolver and it has always been very high on my list. sometime during the ".44mag" thread i went out and bought myself an early b-day present, a used smith and wesson model 29-2 blued, P&R w/ 8&3/8" barrel. i now know what all the fuss is about, this revolver is stunning to say the least.
the fit and finish of this revolver are far superior to most guns being produced today, i did purchase it used with a serial number dating somewhere around 1980 but it looks to be taken care of although the previous owner did install pachmayr presentation grips and didn't sell with the originals, but i'll fix that soon enough. the blueing is so deep you can get lost in it and each and every line and curve is like a work of art. i could write romantic poetry to this gun sitting in front of a fireplace while sipping fine scotch and mean every word of it .
so now i know what you're thinkin, you're thinkin "how does she shoot?" and i reply "as good as she looks" i started my range session with 20 federal .44 special HP's to get a feel for the action and i was very impressed. Double action was a dream and Single action was almost nonexistent, the weight really gets lost in that wide target trigger. i was a little hesitant to switch to magnum's fearing the massive recoil of the infamous .44 magnum so i put on a pair of gel shooting gloves and though powerful enough it wasn't as bad as i expected, maybe due to the ugly pachy grips so i took the glove off for the remain 44 rounds. i found them to be actually pleasant with just enough recoil to feel manly but not too much that i couldn't fire one handed. accuracy was pretty unbelievable and although i'm not a great shooter, with some practice i think i will be able to put cylinder's though the X all day. i will post pics as soon as i can and update the thread, thanks for reading.