Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: got pulled over

(Philadelphia County)

Default got pulled over

someone i know was pulled over and when the cops saw the ltcf, they asked do you have a gun? the answer was "yes" and they asked where it was? it was in the glove compartment and the cops were ok with that first at first .later, they decided to just go in the glove compartment without even asking to take the firearm. they did give it back in the end.

were the rights of this individual violated?

(Mercer County)

Default Re: got pulled over

Quote Originally Posted by beex215 View Post
    someone i know was pulled over and when the cops saw the ltcf, they asked do you have a gun? the answer was "yes" and they asked where it was? it was in the glove compartment and the cops were ok with that first at first .later, they decided to just go in the glove compartment without even asking to take the firearm. they did give it back in the end.

I'm not sure if his rights were violated. They very well could be. But this sort of thing is a common practice with many officers. The take the weapon, unload it, then return it with the mag out after the traffic stop. Just makes them feel more safe during the stop. I've had both them take my weapon and leave my weapon. I try to not get on the bad sides of police and I realize they just wanna go home alive so Im not going to argue with them. I carry to stay safe and I highly doubt I'll be robbed or attacked with red and blue lights 10 ft away.

Stealing something from someones car without permission? I'd say, yes.

(Bucks County)

Rights violated? NO! The fool gave them away!! Why in the world would you tell a cop you have a gun? "Sir, do you have a gun?" "Officer, there is nothing illegal in the vehicle" then STFU! Nothing good can be gained by talking to cops!

Sure, he got the gun back. Did the cop remove the firing pin? You don't know. Did he drop it? You don't know. Did he load the second to last round in the mag backwards (ensuring a FTF if you get in a gunfight)? You don't know!!!!!

By telling the cop you had a gun, you set yourself up to be relieved of the gun. Now, you have been conditioned to accept this behavior every time. AND, you just conditioned the cop to know that it's ok to take guns away from citizens. Thanks for chipping away at my rights by giving yours away!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by wakefield724 View Post
    I'm not sure if his rights were violated. They very well could be. But this sort of thing is a common practice with many officers. The take the weapon, unload it, then return it with the mag out after the traffic stop. Just makes them feel more safe during the stop. I've had both them take my weapon and leave my weapon. I try to not get on the bad sides of police and I realize they just wanna go home alive so Im not going to argue with them. I carry to stay safe and I highly doubt I'll be robbed or attacked with red and blue lights 10 ft away.
    FAIL!!!! My safety ALWAYS trumps 'officer safety'. ALWAYS, EVERY DAY and TWICE on Sunday!!!

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdriver View Post
    FAIL!!!! My safety ALWAYS trumps 'officer safety'. ALWAYS, EVERY DAY and TWICE on Sunday!!!
    You seeming to be in an argumentative mood and being very anti-leo today I'm scared to ask without you trying to hang me. Not disagreeing with you can you tell me what type of danger you could be in with a flashing cop car right behind you?
    I also agree with you, unless it's in sight there's no reason to tell the police. I used to think I had to but that was because I learned firearm laws in Ohio and got them mixed up.

(Indiana County)

You seeming to be in an argumentative mood and being very anti-leo today I'm scared to ask without you trying to hang me. Not disagreeing with you can you tell me what type of danger you could be in with a flashing cop car right behind you?
    I also agree with you, unless it's in sight there's no reason to tell the police. I used to think I had to but that was because I learned firearm laws in Ohio and got them mixed up.
    I drive a truck, I want to get home everyday safe as well, does that mean I can run you off the road?
    I mean I just want to keep myself safe, why should I care about you and your rights?

Sounds pretty stupid does it not?

I'm soooo sick of this go home safe bullshit, if they want to be assured of going home safe, pick a job like mattress tester.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by beex215 View Post

This is why you keep your LTCF separate from your drivers license.

This is also why you keep your insurance and registration above your visor and away from any firearm in the vehicle.

Might be something to mention to your friend.

(Berks County)

if your fine with a LEO handling your gun in which he's unfamiliar with and unloading it........well don't be surprised if it goes bang

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lendog View Post
    if your fine with a LEO handling your gun in which he's unfamiliar with and unloading it........well don't be surprised if it goes bang
    Good point. When I carried my Hipoint it was way different then other guns. The new models had so many safety features that was hard to know when you first pick them up. You couldn't dry fire with mag out, couldn't close the action with the mag out, it was just different.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast