Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Para SSP

(Philadelphia County)

Default Para SSP

I was in a shop today looking at a para ssp, I've never seen one before and didnt even know para made a 1911 that looked like that. My question is does anybody here know about the ssp? I cant seem to find any info on it. Haven't heard anything good or bad about it. Oh and its used, I've never been into used guns but that damn thing is pretty.
    You r one dumb son of a b!tch, bringina knifetoa gunfight

Default Re: Para SSP

NRA Benefactor Member

(Montgomery County)

I would not buy a single thing from Para. Their history is poor in regards to quality control. Their products are below the industry standard in my opinion...
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Lancaster County)

I would pass too. There's another thread going right now about Para in general.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by 9_shooter21 View Post
    I was in a shop today looking at a para ssp, I've never seen one before and didnt even know para made a 1911 that looked like that. My question is does anybody here know about the ssp? I cant seem to find any info on it. Haven't heard anything good or bad about it. Oh and its used, I've never been into used guns but that damn thing is pretty.
    What little I have learned recently regarding para, and in particular this model, I would stay away from it. It has an odd ball extractor that is a para exclusive and the slide cannot be retrofitted to take the common 1911 extractor. The new para no longer uses that particular part.

Quote Originally Posted by 9_shooter21 View Post
    Oh and its used, I've never been into used guns but that damn thing is pretty.
    I'm not leary of buying a poorly rated 1911, but I'm a little disappointed that we had to look at two of the exact same Paras before buying the best of the two, and it needed to be adjusted just to shoot. Looking at this particualr model, it appears to be one of those eye candy packages that is no more than a regular 'ol Para Expert. I can see it has most of the same amenities as my Para Expert commander less the SS parts and the 5" is steel frame verses AL frame on the commander.

If you want a lot of 1911 for the money, look at a Regent commander. It's built well and has a bull barrel instead of the bushing, not that that's a great advantage or anything, but overall, it's a lot of 1911 for the money. I shot one of these not too long ago. Don't let the semi shorter barrel fool you...it'll make a 1" hole at 10 yds with no problem.

eta - If you decide on the Para, at least look it over well and see if the controls function to your liking. It does carry a lifetime warranty, but sending in a gun is a PITA, sometimes.
    Last edited by harold63; October 22nd, 2014 at 07:29 PM.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Delaware County)

I have a SSP and it was my first 1911. It is crafted really well and is a safe queen. Yes it has a goofy extractor but after 10 years of owning it I have never had one issue.

I have a P16.40 LDA and had others and never had issues with Para products.
    Guess I have good luck with them.