Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default Re: Berkheimer and LTCF

Quote Originally Posted by yard View Post
    I would venture that the sheriff didn't make up the requirements, but rather took office since and is in charge of seeing that they are met. I'm curious though how much these requirements vary from county to county.

I wonder, for example, are all PA LTCF valid for 5 years or is that only in Monroe County too?
    All PA licenses are valid for five years. The nature and requirements are set forth in state law. There is NOTHING in state law to justify requiring production of a tax receipt.

The sheriff either made up this requirement or carried it over from a previous sheriff who made it up. Either way he or she is the official responsible for issuing licenses in that county and the buck stops with him or her for any illegal requirements.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by twency View Post
    All PA licenses are valid for five years. The nature and requirements are set forth in state law. There is NOTHING in state law to justify requiring production of a tax receipt.

The sheriff either made up this requirement or carried it over from a previous sheriff who made it up. Either way he or she is the official responsible for issuing licenses in that county and the buck stops with him or her for any illegal requirements.
    Apparently in politics today, the buck stops with the person that previously held office, and whomever is currently there doesn't hold any responsibility for illegal actions.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Can the sheriff be sued under HB80 for these illegal requirements?

We discussed this in another thread. It's a little murky, but I don't believe HB80 helps when it comes to the sheriff's office.

Quote Originally Posted by yard View Post
    I would venture that the sheriff didn't make up the requirements, but rather took office since and is in charge of seeing that they are met. I'm curious though how much these requirements vary from county to county.

I wonder, for example, are all PA LTCF valid for 5 years or is that only in Monroe County too?
    Under state law the requirements and application is supposed to be uniform throughout the state. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to matters to some of the sheriffs and most people don't want to take the time or spend the money to take it to court. I can't really blame them, but the more you read this shit the older it gets.

(Luzerne County)

Those Monroe County requirements are illegal and not backed by law. I did a little digging for a talk I gave to a neighboring crime watch last month and there are several like Monroe County. I think Carbon has the same requirements about references being from the same county.

Hell, Monroe County wants to know if you are on disability and what medications you take! Toga County says if you move from another state, you have to live in Tioga County for a year before you can get a LTCF.

I'll be giving another talk this week to another crime watch, so I'm sure their eyes will be opened to all the illegal requirements from other counties.

(Wayne County)

Disclaimer - I may step on a few toes with this statement. Please don't read into it.

Monroe county may have the largest influx of residents from NJ and NY. Along with the person comes the mindset. Not surprised to hear restrictive requirements as such you would find in NJ and NY
    Last edited by roberts257ai; February 11th, 2015 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Forgot to add NY

Quote Originally Posted by roberts257ai View Post
    Disclaimer - I may step on a few toes with this statement. Please don't read into it.

Monroe county may have the largest influx of residents from NJ. Along with the person comes the mindset. Not surprised to hear restrictive requirements as such you would find in NJ
    Lots of New Yorkers too. They come to free PA to escape the violence filled streets of NJ/NY with their tough anti-gun laws! Guess they want to make sure you really live/work here. Not just have a weekend place. Otherwise , they could buy guns , get a LTCF , then go back to their liberal utopias , get in trouble , and blame PA's lack of gun laws.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Otherwise , they could buy guns , get a LTCF , then go back to their liberal utopias , get in trouble , and blame PA's lack of gun laws.
    Based upon your statement, if I understand you correctly, it is best then to stiffen PA gun laws to the same level as neighboring states ?

Cool Re: Berkheimer and LTCF

Quote Originally Posted by roberts257ai View Post
    Based upon your statement, if I understand you correctly, it is best then to stiffen PA gun laws to the same level as neighboring states ?

No , but I think that's their plan! They come to the mountains of PA in their Porsche and Volvo SUV's , buy A-frames , want paved roads , street lights , 7-11's , police depts. , exclusive communities and more gun control.

I want my dirt road , log home on 12 acres , 300yd shooting range and NO NEIGHBORS.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    No , but I think that's their plan! They come to the mountains of PA in their Porsche and Volvo SUV's , buy A-frames , want paved roads , street lights , 7-11's , police depts. , exclusive communities and more gun control.

I want my dirt road , log home on 12 acres , 300yd shooting range and NO NEIGHBORS.

Sounds like your talking about the Monroe Country from about 10 years ago. All those A frames and gated communities are sitting empty rotting. Many of the transplants who wanted to bring NY here up and left and a huge portion defaulted on their homes due to the crash in the market. The huge super schools built to accommodate the huge influx of children now run at half capacity and many schools and districts have been combined and buildings closed.

I live in the West end and more business have closed in the last 2 years and the buildings remain empty. Nothing new has opened except for another freaking Dollar General on old 115 in Sailorsburg making the grand total of 4 Dollar stores in a 5 sq mile area.

I agree we don't need another strip mall, Dollar store or chain auto store what we need are real paying job's, industry and School tax relief if Monroe is to surive and thrive again.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Can the sheriff be sued under HB80 for these illegal requirements?

It is a character issue. Someone that does not pay their taxes or parking tickets is of bad character.

Someone who takes medications is of bad character.

Someone who has the wrong hair cut is of bad character.

You name it, the sheriff can call it a character issue.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast