Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Adams County)

Default Grandfather's OLd Hammer Double

Good Morning Folks: Anyone out there know a skilled gunsmith in the Adams, York, Cumberland, Franklin county area that is skilled enough to do a final fit on a set of double barrels to a receiver, then fabricate the hook so the forearm rests in the correct position. Took decades to find the barrels, many,many gunshows. and decided to use the computer and finally found a set on ebay of all places. The original barrels were pitted and shortened half a century ago, but lock-up tight, and will provide a good pattern for what needs to be done to the replacements. The replacements have nice shiny bores. All marking match except the serial #, The color is even the same, that brownish look old guns get. This project has been on my bucket list for a long time. Hope to finish it and leave to my son and grandson even if all they do is hang it on the wall of a cabin. Thanks for the help and your time.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Grandfather's OLd Hammer Double

If you can't find someone close to you let me know. You can ship it to me or take a fall drive maybe? I'm in Marshalls Creek PA 18302, about 2hrs from Harrisburg.
    570-242-9044 if you have any questions
    manharts gunsmithing/machine shop/dirt bike repair

(Cumberland County)

Try Carlisle Gun Works.Mike works on alot of older guns and his work is reasonably priced
    717-254-6701 or carlislegunworks.com

(Lebanon County)

Thumbs up Re: Grandfather's OLd Hammer Double

I can definitely recommend blottermachine's work. He has done several guns for me and his work is excellent. Its definitely worth the trip if you want it done once and right.
    "Remember the first rule of gunfighting ... have a gun." Jeff Cooper

(Adams County)

Good afternoon Folks: Thanks for the info. and recommendations. I am writing them down, as it is good to know smiths that are not afraid to work on the older guns. Some people will think I am a little crazy to spend money on a old $150.00 double, but when I look at the worn down checkering, I know my Grandfather's and Father's hands wore it down hunting, and helping feed their families. Times were tough back in 1910 and the depression era. I have $70.00 in barrels and $300.00 in labor so far. If I have to spend more , so be it, I am going to finish it , unless a skilled smith tells me it is not possible. Thanks again, will keep you posted on progress.

(York County)

I know where your coming from, when I was 4yrs old, I remember my Dad going hunting for rabbits with a Remington 20 gauge pump shotgun.When I got it from my older brother, it was in bad shape, I took it to a gunsmith and told him to fix whatever was wrong with it, because I plan on using it. All the parts had to be made and I don't regret it one bit. I'am glad to hear that your going to fix it.

(Carbon County)

Smart move going to a Gunsmith. Some of those old open hammer doubles had Damascus barrels. Get them checked if you don't know what they look like.

(Bucks County)

I think along about 1910 as told there is a possibility the barrels are faux Damascus (exterior treated to look like Damascus). Believe it or not, back in the day some objected to the look of modern steel so there was a transition period between actual Damascus and acceptance of the modern.

If Damascus, I guess custom loads is in the future.

(Adams County)

Good afternoon Folks: You guys are right about Damascus barrels needing special attention. Both sets of these barrels are marked "genuine armory steel". My guess is it was made in that transitional period when the steel barrels were first being offered. I have read that back then the shotgun makers of the day were actually importing the barrels from London and fitting them to their guns. At least it wasn't China. I have found a maker of special shot shells call Polywad Inc. They make a shell for shooting in these old doubles call "Vintagers" . They are low pressure, low recoiling shells, especially good for not splitting stocks on sidelock shotguns. If you have an old shotgun check them out at Polywad Inc..com I have used some 16ga. and they are pleasant to shoot. Good Huntin'