Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Cool My first LE encounter in the city of Pittsburgh

I was walking along trying to find a place to eat which wasn't closed and while I was walking a LEO interrupted my walking by expressing vocally he wanted to speak to me. So, I turned around and went up to the guy. He told me it's illegal to carry around a firearm in Pittsburgh. Now... I'm thinking *shit not this incompetent crap again* I tell him my name and the city in which I reside. I inform him I'm open carrying, PA is an open carry state, and I don't have to conceal nor have a license to carry on foot. "This isn't alaska, you just can't carry a gun like that here." I correct him yet again. So, he starts to get a bit clamy and says, "Guys, help me out here". I'm laughing so much inside, and I'm very good at hiding my emotions physically. The two officers walk up, I reiterate and they say I'm correct. I try my best not to grin or laugh. He asks me for my ID... *WMAHAHAHA* okay well I didn't laugh out loud. I inform him I've no intention of giving him my ID since he doesn't have RAS, which he tells me he does.. He also states I'm being detained. His opinionated AS doesn't equal RAS, however I'm a bit hungry. My stomach starts to grumble a bit and I start to get hungry as I inform them further. I stare off to his left for about 5 seconds, pull out my CCW and hand it to him. Now.. well my CCW is almost completely useless as identification, I know this. I also tell him I don't have any other identification on me. My CCW has my name, a state given ID(not the same ID as on my DL), and some other useless information like my DOB. Well I start waiting, a minute I get tired because I was walking so I sit. I think a couple more minutes pass while I'm playing games on my GPS unit and he says, "Do you have a drivers license?" I say, "Yeah, I do. However its in my hotel room. Since I'm not really required to give you any ID anyway since I'm not doing anything wrong and you have no RAS". He grumbles and starts talking back on the radio. a couple minutes later he angrily says, "sir, here is your id, you're free to go." Trying to get information from my CCW license to check if I'm a felon... good luck.

The other two kind of just state their opinion, making it seem like what they say is the Right Thing(tm) to do. Oh, and I love this, the 2nd officer said they could detain me indefinitely... I just agree to shut him up. In no way was I lying nor telling the truth when I replied to that. They stated something along the lines of I should just give ID, since they were checking to see if I was a felon? I shouldn't have let that pass and informed him I was being stopped because of a police officer was uninformed. Anyway, after that I talked with the couple other officers some good places to eat, but they were naming off places which were closed for the night already.

In the end, I think it was a learning experience for the one who stopped me. I wasn't upset or anything, mainly because he wasn't doing it out of anger, he was just uninformed. Anyway, laters all.
    Last edited by gunperson003; June 29th, 2008 at 09:26 PM.

(Chester County)

Default Re: My first LE encounter in the city of Pittsburgh

So how is the Arthrocon going for ya? I saw something about it ont he news.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Franklin County)

Personally I would have not produced any I.D. nor would I have co-operated. If I'm doing nothing illegal on the state level, the officer should leave me alone. Anything other than that is illegal on his part if I don't consent to anything. If he continued I'd see him in court, the judge would throw the case out and I'd have a lawsuit on my hands. Plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
    So how is the Arthrocon going for ya? I saw something about it ont he news.
    The con wasn't what I expected, there were some programs I was interested in but missed them. i.e. advanced fursuit design, some writing and drawing programs.

However many of the programs were video game based or just really boring. It would've been fun if I finished my fursuit but I was unable to finish it before I had to fly out. Most of the people were ridiculously anti-social so holding a proper conversation required patience on my part.

I spent more time with groups outside the con than than the con itself. I went with the gun furs to the range, though I sucked at my XD 45.... I went to go see Wall-E with the baby furs, and then we went to some really nice place to eat afterwards which was mainly a burger place I think.

I also attended the open carry dinner at Dynasty... Heres what I wanted to do.. "CLIIIIP CLIPC LIPCLIPCILCLICPLICLPCICPCLCPLIC>>> CLLLLIIIIPPPPPPP".... I make a couple roo noises instead.

Anyway, I'm waiting for the 4th of july to go with one of the fur groups to go watch the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    Personally I would have not produced any I.D. nor would I have co-operated. If I'm doing nothing illegal on the state level, the officer should leave me alone. Anything other than that is illegal on his part if I don't consent to anything. If he continued I'd see him in court, the judge would throw the case out and I'd have a lawsuit on my hands. Plain and simple.
    When I'm not terribly hungry and a bit tired, I will do what I consider the right thing and not produce ID. My CCW was useless to him to look up any information up on me, so I was happy. I was laughing inside the whole time. I usually have my DL on me, but its the only ID I have and I don't want it to get lost due to a pick pocket. Then I wouldn't be able to fly home without jumping through hoops. However I didn't allow them to know why I wasn't carrying my DL, I just stated I wasn't driving so I didn't need to carry it.

(Indiana County)

I make a couple roo noises instead.
    I wasn't aware that kangaroos made any noises. The ones I saw up close in Australia certainly didn't.

Good job with police officer. You might have done it a just little bit better, but you did good as it was.

Of course, you always could have pointed out that he and the Pennsylvania Supreme Court were of differing opinions, and theirs carried more weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    I wasn't aware that kangaroos made any noises. The ones I saw up close in Australia certainly didn't.

Good job with police officer. You might have done it a just little bit better, but you did good as it was.

Of course, you always could have pointed out that he and the Pennsylvania Supreme Court were of differing opinions, and theirs carried more weight.
    Kangaroos make hissing type sounds, and they *can* bark if they've learned it. See Lulu the Kangaroo, you can also google "barking kangaroo" to get the story.

I was about to start muttering off case law, specifically the one stating on the just because I carry doesn't mean they can ID me, etc... I should next time, I just haven't learned all the names of the cases and places I can quote yet. I probably should print the cases and point statements off to keep them with me until I learn them.

Quote Originally Posted by gunperson003 View Post
    I was walking along trying to find a place to eat which wasn't closed and while I was walking a LEO interrupted my walking by expressing vocally he wanted to speak to me. So, I turned around and went up to the guy. He told me it's illegal to carry around a firearm in Pittsburgh. Now... I'm thinking *shit not this incompetent crap again* I tell him my name and the city in which I reside. I inform him I'm open carrying, PA is an open carry state, and I don't have to conceal nor have a license to carry on foot. "This isn't alaska, you just can't carry a gun like that here." I correct him yet again. So, he starts to get a bit clamy and says, "Guys, help me out here". I'm laughing so much inside, and I'm very good at hiding my emotions physically. The two officers walk up, I reiterate and they say I'm correct. I try my best not to grin or laugh. He asks me for my ID... *WMAHAHAHA* okay well I didn't laugh out loud. I inform him I've no intention of giving him my ID since he doesn't have RAS, which he tells me he does.. He also states I'm being detained. His opinionated AS doesn't equal RAS, however I'm a bit hungry. My stomach starts to grumble a bit and I start to get hungry as I inform them further. I stare off to his left for about 5 seconds, pull out my CCW and hand it to him. Now.. well my CCW is almost completely useless as identification, I know this. I also tell him I don't have any other identification on me. My CCW has my name, a state given ID(not the same ID as on my DL), and some other useless information like my DOB. Well I start waiting, a minute I get tired because I was walking so I sit. I think a couple more minutes pass while I'm playing games on my GPS unit and he says, "Do you have a drivers license?" I say, "Yeah, I do. However its in my hotel room. Since I'm not really required to give you any ID anyway since I'm not doing anything wrong and you have no RAS". He grumbles and starts talking back on the radio. a couple minutes later he angrily says, "sir, here is your id, you're free to go." Trying to get information from my CCW license to check if I'm a felon... good luck.

The other two kind of just state their opinion, making it seem like what they say is the Right Thing(tm) to do. Oh, and I love this, the 2nd officer said they could detain me indefinitely... I just agree to shut him up. In no way was I lying nor telling the truth when I replied to that. They stated something along the lines of I should just give ID, since they were checking to see if I was a felon? I shouldn't have let that pass and informed him I was being stopped because of a police officer was uninformed. Anyway, after that I talked with the couple other officers some good places to eat, but they were naming off places which were closed for the night already.

In the end, I think it was a learning experience for the one who stopped me. I wasn't upset or anything, mainly because he wasn't doing it out of anger, he was just uninformed. Anyway, laters all.
    That blows that he didnt even listen to his cohorts!! When I have a buddy who asks me my opinion on how he should handle something and then he does the opposite, I generally will tell him to go pound sand the next time he asks.

Glad it all turned out good for you, someday ALL of my brothers and sisters in blue will catch on to the laws.

PS: Your LTCF has all the info we need to run a warrant/CCH/DL check on you

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjames_71 View Post
    PS: Your LTCF has all the info we need to run a warrant/CCH/DL check on you
    Are you sure? He's from Alaska.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Quote Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
    Are you sure? He's from Alaska.
    The only information my CCW permit has is my picture, full name, CCW ID(not affiliated with my DL), DOB, when it expires, weight, eye, hair, hgt, gender, race, HOMER, ALASKA, and NOT NICS-EXEMPT. That is it, nothing else is on my card besides the NICS rules thingy and the sig from commissioner Monegan.

If I had a scanner or a uncapped amateur radio I could've listened to what they were saying. The officer like I said... was rather angry I couldn't give him my DL. Do you know if NLETS will allow ident info to be shared without further information?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast