Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Philadelphia open carry

Hey well I finally recieved my ltcf today and was super excited! About a month ago I bought myself a HK Usp .45 compact stainless and boy is it a beauty ! Since I've turned 21 In July I've been reading up on it and have planned on carrying open.. So my first time carrying a gun and open carry .. ( Two birds with one stone I suppose ) lol well I went to go buy the family some ice cream in shop-rite, planning on showing just a bit of my gun to slowly work my way to open carry but my jacket was too short so my .45 was just peeking out more than I could deal with so I just left it out btw well I live in the heart of Philadelphia .. I've never seen anyone carry open here in Philadelphia besides on YouTube ! Thought id give it a shot ... I walked through the store like I had a light show pointing to my gun (that stainless really is flashy ) but was eyed by everyone that walked by me . It was really nerve wrecking actually . I was sure that I was being followed by a store manager as I walked up to pay for my items . I guess he decided to leave me alone as I was unloading my basket and soon paying for my items I'm not sure ?! The cashier eyed it as especially when I dropped my card on the floor but he greeted me , I paid and was on my way. I walked out boldly lol

I think because I'm young and in a city like I am I feel as though it's going to be a problem . I live very close to the area probably a half a mile or so of where Mark Fiorino got harassed .

(Montgomery County)

Smile Re: Philadelphia open carry

For sake of a newer answer.
    I don't believe you can open carry in Philadelphia?
    What I do not like about open carry.
    If a bad guy comes into a store with a gun see's you with your gun who is he going to take out first?

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Philadelphia open carry

Oh my

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by gracenrich View Post
    If a bad guy comes into a store with a gun see's you with your gun who is he going to take out first?
    Umm, wrong. You can OC in Philly, but you need a LTCF. I am sorry you feel that OC makes you a target. It could also go this way, 'a bad guy sees you carrying a firearm and decides maybe the store that has a ban on firearms would be a an easier target'.
    IANAL MPMO VIVA CUBA LIBRE

(Montgomery County)

Yes you're able to open carry in Philly (with a license).

Yes you're entitled to your opinion. No this thread will not be hijacked by your second statement because it's not about that. The pros/cons of OC have been discussed extensively.

Congrats on your first OC. I'll say it up front, I don't and never have OC'ed. I would say first and foremost be extremely familiar and confident of your knowledge of PA firearms and carry laws. Have a recording app on your phone ready to go or even going at all times when in public OC'ing. Someone please step in if this screws with wiretapping/privacy laws in PA or something like that.

I would give you the advice to dress nicely, be super friendly and give people a smile that look at you oddly. Search for and print out a few OC fliers from here to give out to people who ask you about OC.

Also just a reminder if it turns out OC isn't for you or isn't for you in the city, no shame in trying out CC! Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch10mm View Post
    Oh my
    Mitch, hurry up get the popcorn!

NOW!
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Philadelphia County)

Red face Re: Philadelphia open carry

(Ref 18. chapter 61 . 6108)

-" No person shall carry a firearm, rifle or shotgun at any time upon the public streets or upon any public property in a city of the first class unless:
    (1) such person is licensed to carry a firearm; or
    (2) such person is exempt from licensing under section 6106 of this title (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license)."

In the state of Pa you can open carry except for a city of first class which is Philadelphia "***unless***" You have a license to carry . Its not a concealed carry weapon permit. Its a LICENSE TO CARRY FIREARM ... meaning open or concealed... as i walked out the store an officer passed by me? Appeared off duty going to the store she was just strolling. I tried not to stare but she eyed my gun O.O... I left.

(Montgomery County)

Question Re: Philadelphia open carry

Quote Originally Posted by Benny71493 View Post
    Hey well I finally recieved my ltcf today and was super excited!

What I don't like about Dunkin donuts is a cop might walk in and tackle me for the last jelly filled doughnut ...

Oh and they spelled Doughnut wrong in their name too....
    Last edited by Frenchy; October 20th, 2014 at 08:48 PM.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by Benny71493 View Post
    Hey well I finally recieved my ltcf today and was super excited!

you give the answer in your link..

There is however a law that requires a License To Carry Firearms to carry either way in "cities of the first class", which as defined by law is only the city of Philadelphia.
    Last edited by Frenchy; October 20th, 2014 at 08:49 PM.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Clint Eastwood

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast