Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lawrence County)

Default new to glocks question

I have question about glocks. I've never had a glock. My buddy is selling a glock 31 in 357sig 3rd generation. What
    would I need to have it in 9mm also. From what I understand you can rebarrel it? I want it in 357sig but have a 9mm conversion to shoot cheaply .
    Last edited by jasons85gt; October 19th, 2014 at 08:52 PM. Reason: spelling

(Indiana County)

Default Re: new to glocks question

Lone Wolf and Storm Lake are the big names in conversion barrels.

Here's lone wolfs:
    https://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail....OD=971&CAT=241

My opionion: If you want a 9mm pistol, buy a 9mm pistol. If you want to carry/standard load 357sig, a conversion barrel is fine. Just make sure you practice with 357 sig as well as 9mm.

(Allegheny County)

I'm not big on conversion barrels, like what you want to do going from a 357 sig to 9mm, yes it may work but if you want a 9mm get yourself a G17 and be done.

(York County)

Yes, you can get a .357/.40 to 9mm lone wolf barrel, but you will also need 9mm mags...9mm will not feed effectively from .357/.40 magazines.
    TERRA MAGNUM IMPERIUM

(Tioga County)

Probably by the time you got some 9mm magazines and the barrel for not a whole lot more you can just get a used or new 9mm Glock.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    Probably by the time you got some 9mm magazines and the barrel for not a whole lot more you can just get a used or new 9mm Glock.
    This unless your getting a hell of deal may as well pick up a used one or a new gen 3 for about the same.

I have one. I carry the 357SIG and picked up the 9mm conversion and stock Glock 40SW barrel for it too. Even picked up a aftermarket 357SIG barrel for reloads. Going to give you some of my experiences, to your question.
    You will need magazines for the 9mm conversion and it should not cost as much as a new Glock 19 or 17. Might be half the price depending on how much you buy the magazines for.

While you can use the 40SW in the 357SIG magazines, and vise a versa, the magazine followers are different. I did have a couple of feeding issues with a 357SIG in a 40SW magazine. While most others don't and have no issue I seem to be in the minority. I picked up dedicated magazines for each caliber so too not get confused or fooled as to what's in them when grabbing a magazine....then to realize they were not 357SIG. Yes, I have done this. End of the day, removing the items off my belt, out of my pockets, only to find that the 40SW was loaded in my extra 357SIG magazine...ooops lol. Good thing I did not have to use them.

Still I have a very good carry / range package, though I would not use just the 40 to 9 conversion barrel for carry. Few have had experiences of the spent casings not ejecting and had to replace the extractor as well. Doesn't take too long or involved to change it. While I never experienced this at the range I don't want to take the chance with this for carry - unless I change out the extractor or even the ejector. Besides I have a dedicated Glock 9mm, so no need.