Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Pike County)

Exclamation Hope for the best; plan for the worst...

Disclaimer: forgive me as I don't follow PA politics too much even though I'm a Pike county resident. I'm an Australian citizen but a US permanent resident. I served time in the military, I pay my federal, state, and property taxes, I have a PA LTCW and am an ardent 2A supporter. In other words, I pay for and consequently benefit from most of what Americans value in this country except for having the privilege of voting.

Now I understand Tom Wolf has a clear lead in the polls against the incumbent Republican, Tom Corbett. While I don't like a lot of what Corbett has done in terms of taxation, if I did have the ability to vote, he's in my mind the lesser of two evils and the one I'd elect.

Should Tom Wolf win election as governor, what does that mean for us as gun owners IF the PA General Assembly makeup remains similar to what it is now; Republicans having a 53% voting share? PA Governors to my understanding don't have the ability to enact new or reverse current legislation without approval from the legislative body; conversely, the GA can override a governor's veto if they have enough votes. Does the PA governor have the ability to write executive orders bypassing or nullifying current legislation?

I guess what I'm trying to say and ask is this; how can we as 2A supporters plan for the worst? Moving out of the state isn't feasible for me (and I'm assuming many others as well) for the time being. I don't know what the PA house and senate races look like; do you feel the Repub's are going to retain control of both or are we totally screwed?

In the meantime, since I can't vote, I have been talking to my neighbors and friends that do and have been urging them to truly understand the issues at stake and to at least vote for Corbett. I've also printed out a few of the "Stop Wolf" flyers and have given them to neighbors. I'm going to ask some of the local gun stores near me if they'd be willing to post the flyers in their businesses as well.

TIA for your thoughts and opinions.
    Don't wish ill for your enemies. Plan it.

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: Hope for the best; plan for the worst...

You've already done more than most on this board but keep it up, every vote counts. The Senate and House are probably ok but who knows at this point. We made it through 8 years with Fat Eddie, we can do the same with Wolf if we have to, no need to talk about moving yet.

Could you type in an Australian accent? That'd be awesome!

(Pike County)

Default Re: Hope for the best; plan for the worst...

Quote Originally Posted by jerkin View Post
    You've already done more than most on this board but keep it up, every vote counts. The Senate and House are probably ok but who knows at this point. We made it through 8 years with Fat Eddie, we can do the same with Wolf if we have to, no need to talk about moving yet.

Could you type in an Australian accent? That'd be awesome!
    Thanks. I'd like to help out in whatever way I can.

As for the accent, sorry but it only comes back when I've been drinking... and I try not to get anywhere near a computer when I'm that drunk. Bad things have been known to happen.

On a serious note, I've been seriously considering applying for US citizenship. Both my parents got naturalized years ago and both are card-carrying Republicans. Only reason I haven't is that I retain certain employee benefits if I keep my current status. Something tells me though that those benefits are no longer worth it...
    Don't wish ill for your enemies. Plan it.