Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    (Adams County)

Default Re: West Shore Sportsman's Association - Member being expelled.

Oh, absolutely they're acting stupidly. This whole mess had all the strategic thinking of a playground bully demanding someone's lunch money.

If they'd played this right, we'd all be sunk. They could have done this early in the year when elections were a long time off. They could have built some consensus. They could have tried (better anyway) to appease folks and build up some credibility. Instead they completely misread their friends, thought they'd have support for whatever just because of who they were, and figured we all wouldn't much mind being totally duped and screwed over.

Like I said before, they're worse than amateurs but too arrogant to realize it.
    Last edited by Sam1911; October 30th, 2014 at 11:09 PM.
    --Sam

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidTM View Post
    Look, all I'm saying is the BOD is stupid because they should have waited until after the election. They could have done all of this, toss out the guy, tossed out anyone else they wanted to, and what would have been the recourse?

Who would sue? Who would be willing to pony up a few thousand dollars to hire an attorney to get back into a Club of assholes?

I fully agree the by-laws is the Club's management document and must be followed to the letter. BTW, if you change the by-laws or any Club "Policy" that effects or would have the same effect as that of a by-law, those changes or policy adoptions must be attached to that years Club's Federal form 990 Tax Exempt return's filing.

OTOH, any smart ass BOD can ignore the by-laws and do as they please. But if the members want to, they can toss them out. OTOH, as was my case, if the BOD has "fear power" over the members, then you have a Natzi like BOD and they can do a lot of bullshit damage.

FWIW

Dave
    Who would sue?

Our Constitution and Bylaws expressly grants any member of the Board the ability to engage club counsel.

Quote from our C&BL's:

Should any one or combination of Officers or Directors engage in activity described as malfeasance, or activity contrary to the good of the Association, any Officer or Director has the option to refer the matter directly to the Association Attorney/Counsel. Association Counsel shall have the authority to investigate the matter, arbitrate conflict among members of the Board, and suggest remedies to the Board.
    No one even needs to sue.

We the membership will have our say. This Board is done. They're being replaced. And any action they continue to take in opposition to our vote and the C&BL's isn't protected under their auspices as Board Members, and our Officer & Director's insurance policy. Which means their asses are personally on the hook to answer for their actions, and we will send them each a bill for any costs we incur in the pursuit of making their crap right.

These tyrants are done.

Ken O'Donnell
    Former WSSA President
    West Shore Sportsmen's Association WSSA Home page

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by BullfrogKen View Post
    Who would sue?

Our Constitution and Bylaws expressly grants any member of the Board the ability to engage club counsel.

Quote from our C&BL's:

No one even needs to sue.

We the membership will have our say. This Board is done. They're being replaced. And any action they continue to take in opposition to our vote and the C&BL's isn't protected under their auspices as Board Members, and our Officer & Director's insurance policy. Which means their asses are personally on the hook to answer for their actions, and we will send them each a bill for any costs we incur in the pursuit of making their crap right.

These tyrants are done.

Ken O'Donnell
    Former WSSA President
    Well, just to respond to the first item that I highlighted, this refers to any Bord Member!! Not just any willy nilly general member turd!! So, if the current BOD just kicks you out....because YOU are nothing more than a little turd general member right now....YOU don't have the right to spend Club resources to engage an attorney to get YOU back into the Club. OTOH, if a director does some act of "malfeasance" then another director may engage legal counsel. Of course, if the entire BOD voted to have no rifle shooting or BP shooting then who's judgement is it to say that the BOD can't toss this guy? Who is to say it's "malfeasance" for the BOD to do so? Your judgement? Who are you?

As for the second part of your post that I highlighted, what is to prevent them from doing the same to you right now? What is to prevent them from asserting that it's YOU who is opposing the current BOD's actions that is representative of the membership and thus, the current BOD can and should toss you out? And then, should you object, they can hire, at the Clubs cost...later to be billed to you and each of your gang, the cost of said legal counsel!! Don't be too quick to say what you think you can do and they can't do. Right now they hold the power and you don't.

You think I'm full if shit? Ask yourself who is in power and who holds the legal power to control the club finances right now. It's not you.

Ask any attorney worth their salt if you have a "slam dunk" case. And how long do you want to fight a pissy little worthless battle such as this?

Dave

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidTM View Post
    Well, just to respond to the first item that I highlighted, this refers to any Bord Member!! Not just any willy nilly general member turd!! So, if the current BOD just kicks you out....because YOU are nothing more than a little turd general member right now....YOU don't have the right to spend Club resources to engage an attorney to get YOU back into the Club. OTOH, if a director does some act of "malfeasance" then another director may engage legal counsel. Of course, if the entire BOD voted to have no rifle shooting or BP shooting then who's judgement is it to say that the BOD can't toss this guy? Who is to say it's "malfeasance" for the BOD to do so? Your judgement? Who are you?

As for the second part of your post that I highlighted, what is to prevent them from doing the same to you right now? What is to prevent them from asserting that it's YOU who is opposing the current BOD's actions that is representative of the membership and thus, the current BOD can and should toss you out? And then, should you object, they can hire, at the Clubs cost...later to be billed to you and each of your gang, the cost of said legal counsel!! Don't be too quick to say what you think you can do and they can't do. Right now they hold the power and you don't.

You think I'm full if shit? Ask yourself who is in power and who holds the legal power to control the club finances right now. It's not you.

Ask any attorney worth their salt if you have a "slam dunk" case. And how long do you want to fight a pissy little worthless battle such as this?

Dave
    Dave, our C&BL's are quite clear. I should know them, I was on the committee as WSSA President the last time we updated them. The Board cannot throw anybody out. They aren't granted that power. Only the membership can expel a member, by 2/3rds vote.

How can this be accomplished and a tyranical Board prevented from just tossing member after member out? Because the Membership Secretary is among those in opposition.

Look, I understand how easy it is for someone 200 miles away sitting behind a keyboard to come here and try to tell me like it is. You need to understand I've been deeply involved in our club's politics for 10 years. The people who are doing this just got themselves elected into a majority position on the Board this year.

And right now they are floundering trying to react to the membership's revolt over their power grab. In fact, some of them have already started resigning.

Our election is less than 30 days away. They know what's coming, and they know they're on their way out. All what they're trying to do now is be petty and we will undo all of it after elections.
    West Shore Sportsmen's Association WSSA Home page

(Adams County)

Dave, to follow up Ken's comment: It is pretty easy to imagine the most awful, powerless situation someone COULD be in, sometime, somewhere.

But it isn't really helpful to rail against that situation, and decry the injustice of such impossible, oppressive utter tyranny -- because that isn't where we are at, here, now, in our Association.

These folks did grab for all the power they could get. But that isn't unlimited, and even as bad as they are, the most they've really "gotten away with" is to act like jerks, bend and break a few bylaws -- and then get slapped epicly for it. They may not know their own rules very well, and may like to play miserably fast and loose with those rules, but they have been corralled at almost every turn, and are now facing the music.

So thank you for your concern, but they really don't have the power -- the physical ability, the acumen, the force of will, or the consensus of supporters -- to act in the ways you've suggested.
    --Sam

(Adams County)

UPDATE to the Update:

The Special Meeting is confirmed. The Board of Directors has their follow-up meeting with Mike B. at 7:30 on Nov. 12. Those of us who wish to attend the Special Meeting to discuss these matters of the Board are asked to be present by 8:00 pm, but to please remain outside the clubhouse until that time to give the Board and Mike due privacy to discuss what they need to discuss.

Thank you and see you then!
    --Sam

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sam1911 View Post
    Dave, to follow up Ken's comment: It is pretty easy to imagine the most awful, powerless situation someone COULD be in, sometime, somewhere.

But it isn't really helpful to rail against that situation, and decry the injustice of such impossible, oppressive utter tyranny -- because that isn't where we are at, here, now, in our Association.

Well, I hear you. But here is what happen to me. And it's not exactly like to your situation, but close. The reason for me is not material. It could be because I like to wear red shoes and no one else liked red shoes. The issue is not important. What was done, or not done is what was important. Rules were ignored not only by the officers, but by the members. Why the members? Because should any member object, they would be subject to being tossed out themselves. It's a power structure that has gone awry. And many, way too many things have gone awry with it. Absolute power corrupts. And the saying is oh so true.

Here is the verbiage from the Clubs By-Laws concerning dismissal of a member:

Section 14. Any three or more Class A or Class B members of the Club may present to the President written charges signed by themselves impugning the character of conduct of any other member, whether he be a Class A, Class B, Associate, Active Life or Honorary member, or the President himself may solely, under his sole signature, make such charges against any such member of the Club; upon the receipt of such charges, or the making of them by the President solely, the President shall call together a Board of Review which shall be composed of the President, who shall act as Chairman of the Board of Review, the Vice-President and other officers and Trustees of the Club, provided, however that if the President, or any officer or Trustee, or any of them, has brought the said charges, he or they shall be ineligible to act as a member or the Board of Review shall choose such other member or members of the Club, who shall be Class A or Class B members, as may be necessary to take the place of and act in the stead of the ineligible member of members of the Board of Review,and if the President be ineligible to act they shall also choose one of their member to act in his stead as Chairman of the Board of Review.

The Board of Review, through the Chairman, shall in writing by mail notify the accused member of the charges that have been brought against him, together with the names of the members making the charges, and shall set forth in said notice the date, time and place for a hearing on the charges by the Board of Review, at which time and place the accused member shall be given an opportunity to be heard in his defense against the charges.

Here is my "covered" version of my "toss out" letter that I received:

Now, you may at first blush look at the letter and say "Ghee, the guy must have done something bad because the vote was 100% against him." Well, we all know that figures don't lie, but lier's figure. I talked to three different members concerning that vote and it was doubtful that a majority vote was even taken. Secondly, where was my "hearing"? Where was my "charges?" Where was my "opportunity" to defend myself against my accuser? There was none as the president and a few others simply railroaded me out. So, was I going to sue? For what? To get back into a club of assholes?

Be careful when you say "we are not at that point. Because it only takes a few assholes to get to "that point."

Dave

(Adams County)

Ok, I understand.

But our batch of ... those types ... is falling out. One resigned already this week.

Our Membership is very strong right now, and isn't being cowed or bulldozed by anyone. They're motivated and angry and are taking the reigns.
    --Sam

(Lancaster County)

DaveTM, you should have read your disclaimer included with your Cockring. Wearing in the open at gun clubs may have adverse consequences.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    DaveTM, you should have read your disclaimer included with your Cockring. Wearing in the open at gun clubs may have adverse consequences.
    WTF streaker, just WTF?!?!?!?!?

Thanks for the laugh.

ETA:
    Someone please rep him for me. The rep Nazi has the afternoon shift today.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast