Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Adams County)

Default Re: West Shore Sportsman's Association - Member being expelled.

Actually, there are lots of factors in play here. The situation is absurd and complicated in some ways, but pretty danged simple in others.

Regarding the rifle range: Our rifle range is built into the side of a large hill. It is dug into the side about as far as old school excavation technology could take it back 50 years ago. The floor of the range, closest to the targets, is barely covered bedrock. It also slops uphill pretty sharply from the firing line to the target line. In fact, it wasn't really ever a good place to shoot prone because of that, and a real DCM match couldn't even EVER be held there because it wasn't really 100 yards, but about 93-95 yds.

The DCM shooters we had didn't much care as they were just there for the fun of it, but it wasn't a great spot for that kind of shooting. Certainly not when compared to lots of other rifle ranges in the area. Our DCM crew was small and dwindling.

After a serious ricochet event some years back now, the middle berm was added specifically to keep anyone from putting a round down into the sparse dirt of the range floor and bouncing it up off that rock.

It wasn't a capricious thing, it was a safety thing. I can't say that it was the BEST response to the problem, but it was seen as the most effective way to keep the range open for general rifle shooting.

That's all pretty old business and doesn't have (almost) anything to do with the current mess.
    Last edited by Sam1911; October 26th, 2014 at 01:28 AM.
    --Sam

(Adams County)

Regarding Mike B:

It IS awfully ironic that a traditional style shooter would find himself the subject of a punitive action like this. But it does go to show that the "if you ain't like me, you SUCK" mentality doesn't just come from the "Fudds" and Bambi/bunny killers, it can come from those of us at the "practical/tactical" end of the spectrum, too. If we let it.

Fortunately, Mike's really not in much danger. I've come out strongly in defense of his past actions by pointing out that some of the things he's accused of are things that us (including some of his accusers!) in the IDPA group do every single match. And other have pointed out that even more of that stuff has been done by the tactical training group that is represented even more directly by his accusers. And there's quite a bit more depth to that bucket of hypocrisy we can dig up if we have to.

Really, though, Mike gets the chance to have his case heard AND DECIDED by the membership. And they simply will not accept the trumped up, retributive, vindictive, and hypocritical case against him. In fact, I've been almost worried that somehow the whole thing would just disappear without ever being presented to the Members! It is SO good for the side of right and justice that the accusers haven't mustered up a half-thimble-full of political savvy and throttled back so they don't look like flaming asses in front of 150 or so rather ticked off club members.

I've already fired up the popcorn maker. It's gonna be a fun night.
    --Sam

(York County)

Exclamation Re: West Shore Sportsman's Association - Member being expelled.

*** UPDATE 10/29/14 ***

The short story is that at the meeting last night the membership overwhelmingly voted to restore Mike's privileges.

The long story is that a very contentious meeting went on for over two hours without one word being mentioned about Mike and the club president then tried to make a motion to adjourn the meeting without touching on the subject.

It was only after one of the other board members pointed out that we had not covered any new business that members were allowed to bring new business to the floor.

Mike was eventually allowed to speak. Apparently the procedure is for the board to suspend a member's privileges and then at some point meet with them and discuss why they were suspended.

No meeting was ever scheduled to meet with Mike although he requested one immediately. By dragging this out it seems that the board felt they could punish him indefinitely without ever having to face the issue.

Fortunately for Mike he was able to address the membership last night and made his case. I got the feeling in the meeting that many of the members agreed that the timing of the suspension was suspicious and that it seemed punitive in nature.

Thanks to several members insisting that our by-laws be followed the membership was allowed to vote on whether or not to restore Mike's privileges. The vote was overwhelmingly in favor of restoring his privileges.

If and when he gets his meeting with the board they can either warn him to behave and not embarrass them in the future or they can go forward with trying to revoke his membership.

I think based on what the board saw last night they know that they can not win a vote if they revoke his membership so I would bet that they will have the meeting with him and ask him to not make any more videos in the future.

It was a very contentious meeting. Several members pointed out that the board has done things well outside the scope of the bylaws and it is my personal feeling that they should face consequences for that. Unfortunately, there is not much we can do. Fortunately, elections are next month and hopefully we can get some new people involved in running the club.

The best news of the night for me was when nominations were read and Mike was named as a candidate for president of the club.

Mike becoming President, poetic justice.

Good update.

(York County)

It is of utmost importance that as a society will live by the law and its
    procedures in civil and criminal law. Organizations must live by their By Laws.
    The membership last evening made that quite evident that the By-Laws
    will be followed in all matters pertaining to the organizations function. We
    should as members be vigilant that Due Process be adhered to.
    FUNDAMENTALS

"All that is needed for Evil to Prevail is for Good Men to
    do Nothing"

(Cumberland County)

Oh, not to worry. The membership has 3 friends on the current board who are trying to do things by the book. We're a minority vote on the board, but we are doing what we can to slow down this runaway train.

Ultimately, the membership will need to apply the brakes.

WSSA OFFICER ELECTIONS TAKE PLACE AT THE NOVEMBER MEETING

(Tues, Nov. 25, 19:30, WSSA Clubhouse)

COME OUT AND VOTE TO TAKE YOUR CLUB BACK.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

(York County)

Exclamation Re: West Shore Sportsman's Association - Member being expelled.

So apparently a majority vote by the membership wasn't enough. This email was sent to the board today in ANOTHER attempt to revoke Mike's privileges. When I read this I think my blood pressure doubled and I was honestly speechless for a few minutes.

Subject: Michael Beliveau
    Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 13:26:12 -0700

Board of Directors,

As a result of evidence obtained from Mr. Beliveau's web postings the BoDs voted to move against his membership for demonstrated reckless conduct on WSSA property with a firearm.

The BoDs voted to deny him access to WSSA property until such time as a hearing could determine the facts associated with his apparent conduct.

As has been the BoDs practice in such Board actions, the BoDs voted to interrupt his access to WSSA property until the hearing and perhaps permanently.

At the October Business meeting a vote by the membership in attendance decided that his access to the facility should be reinstated until the hearing.

The BoDs has an obligation to protect the asset of WSSA as well as the well being of persons on and off WSSA property. The membership is entitled to their view of the matter, but the BoDs has the obligation and duty to make such protections.

As a member of the BoDs I ask that the BoDs affirm their obligation and duty by registering a vote by return e-mail on the continued denial of access to WSSA property by Mr. Beliveau until the scheduled hearing on November 12th, (7:30pm). I ask that the BoDs direct the Membership Secretary to assure and assert that Mr. Beliveau's key card has been deactivated and will remain so until such time as the BoDs confirms by a vote that his card is to be activated again.

Respectfully submitted,
    Susan Gochenour, Secretary
    The fact that Mike is running for President and will likely win seems to have made it even more critical for the sitting regime to get rid of him.
    Last edited by davidb72; October 29th, 2014 at 09:49 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by davidb72 View Post
    So apparently a majority vote by the membership wasn't enough. This email was sent to the board today in ANOTHER attempt to revoke Mike's privileges. When I read this I think my blood pressure doubled and I was honestly speechless for a few minutes.

The fact that Mike is running for President and will likely win seems to have made it even more critical for the sitting regime to get rid of him.
    BINGO.

Even as an outsider reading this casually, that much is plain to see.

Petty, little people. tsk tsk tsk
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

Review your by-laws as to the power of the club president. Many times the position encompasses running meetings and such, but doesn't really hold any power (such as having any say or voting power in board meetings). If he runs it may be better for him to run for a board position (again this depends on your clubs by-laws).

Good luck!

It's been my experience that those who hold board positions in gun clubs let it go to their heads. They typically have thier own agenda's that may or may not be in the best interest of the club. It's also typical that 2-3 board members are really the ones driving. The rest are just along for the ride or are ineffectual in their positions. It's rare to have any board members that have any previous business management experience.
    Toujours prêt

(Cumberland County)

Thanks for the update. I was unable to make the last meeting but will be in attendance for the election. What is the status on the range closures? What is the ETA for getting the ranges up to code? Thanks.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast