Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Mercer County)

Default Leather Holster Input

So I've been studying how to make holsters for a while now. I invested a good but if money to buy tools and equipment. I could of bought cheap leather but I want to try to make the best quality items I can. Here is the beginning of my first holster (pics attached below). I made a multifunctional holster with a belt loop for open carry, IWB clip for conceal, IWB clip is removable and the holster rides high on the gun so you can pocket carry, my favorite way to use them is the IWB on the front pocket so it's half OC half CC but very easy to draw. I tooled a deer on one side and an eagle on the other, I have many stamps so I can took almost anything including patterns or letters. Fits tcp, lcp, keltec 380 and other compact handguns around that size.
    What color should i dye it? Shiney or matte finish? Anything I should change with this pattern? Any advice on future patterns? I can cut patterns for any gun. I'm going to try to build one for a scoped 44 mag next.

Last edited by wakefield724; October 15th, 2014 at 07:54 AM.

Default Re: Leather Holster Input

Quote Originally Posted by wakefield724 View Post
    So I've been studying how to make holsters for a while now. I invested a good but if money to buy tools and equipment. I could of bought cheap leather but I want to try to make the best quality items I can. Here is the beginning of my first holster (pics attached below). I made a multifunctional holster with a belt loop for open carry, IWB clip for conceal, IWB clip is removable and the holster rides high on the gun so you can pocket carry, my favorite way to use them is the IWB on the front pocket so it's half OC half CC but very easy to draw. I tooled a deer on one side and an eagle on the other, I have many stamps so I can took almost anything including patterns or letters. Fits tcp, lcp, keltec 380 and other compact handguns around that size.
    What color should i dye it? Shiney or matte finish? Anything I should change with this pattern? Any advice on future patterns? I can cut patterns for any gun. I'm going to try to build one for a scoped 44 mag next.
    Hmmmm... It could be me but I don't see any pics of a holster..

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by TheRiffleman View Post
    Original post has been edited.
    I want to do a pafoa 1911 holster soon. I'm thinking a cherrywood colored leather with 2 eagles stamped on it representing freedom. PAFOA will be engraved on the strap. Then I'll do a giveaway on the pafoa board letting people pick a number 1-200 and randomly drawing a number for the winner.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by TheRiffleman View Post
    I see them fine.... and think that BLACK is the way to go...

(Delaware County)

Here is the beginning of my first holster (pics attached below).
    1. Don't forget to dress the edges of the leather.
    2. Corners should be rounded (belt tabs, etc.)
    3. I would go with black - satin to gloss.

(Delaware County)

Looks nice. I agree with Sgt. K on the finishing touches.

(Montgomery County)

Original post has been edited.
    I want to do a pafoa 1911 holster soon. I'm thinking a cherrywood colored leather with 2 eagles stamped on it representing freedom. PAFOA will be engraved on the strap. Then I'll do a giveaway on the pafoa board letting people pick a number 1-200 and randomly drawing a number for the winner.
    I'd look forward to this even more if you had a separate drawing and holster for lefties

Nice job on the one above.

(Lawrence County)

Not bad. Definitely go with black.

Curious, what sort of method of retention do you have on that? Since I don't see a thumbsnap on it and it doesn't look to have a retention screw, it might be best suited for concealed carry.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    I'd look forward to this even more if you had a separate drawing and holster for lefties

Nice job on the one above.
    That's easy. I just flip my pattern upside down before I cut and boom I have a a left handed holster

Shaun there isn't any snaps or anything i wanted to be able to draw and shoot fast. The holster is tight though so it holds the gun very secure. Great for CC but for OC it doesn't have anything to prevent it being drawn at a non vertical angle.

(Lawrence County)

That's easy. I just flip my pattern upside down before I cut and boom I have a a left handed holster

Shaun there isn't any snaps or anything i wanted to be able to draw and shoot fast. The holster is tight though so it holds the gun very secure. Great for CC but for OC it doesn't have anything to prevent it being drawn at a non vertical angle.
    Gun grabs are rare, but if you got into a fight there's a chance someone could go for it. I'd be cautious about just relying on the tightness of the holster keeping it put. Again, minor chance, but not something I'm personally comfortable with. YMMV.

A more likely scenario is having to jump, run, move around and the gun coming loose. It might be tight now, but over time the leather can loosen up and let the gun come loose when worn OWB. IWB it's less likely because there's constant pressure from your body pressing against the holster and the belt that holds the gun in place. Again, YMMV.

Just some food for thought. I still dig it though. I also want to make my own IWB holster now. Damnit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast