Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cumberland County)

Default Convert a .243 to .220 swift???

I have a stock and a new HB ready to go for a .220 swift. In looking for a short action (Remington 700) I came across a .243.. What mods will have to be done to to the .243 action to make it work in my .220,, Thanks Dave

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Convert a .243 to .220 swift???

Quote Originally Posted by Nerfsrule2 View Post
    I have a stock and a new HB ready to go for a .220 swift. In looking for a short action (Remington 700) I came across a .243.. What mods will have to be done to to the .243 action to make it work in my .220,, Thanks Dave
    I cant remember the rim diameter of the 220swift right off hand, but if it is any different from the 243's - you will have to mod/prep the bolt face and extractor.

Dont forget to get a set of go/no-go gauges for headspacing the barrel/chambering when turning it in.

(@ work, minding is focused elsewhere - will dedicate braincells to this thread in about an hour)
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

The rim diameters are the same, so the bolt face wouldn't actually need any changing, they both have a rim diameter of .473 . Did you plan on trying to use the same barrel and have it rechambered, or fitting it with a custom barrel? You won't be able to use the same barrel, if that's what you intended. There are a couple of reasons for this, the main one, the bullet diameters are different, with the .243 being larger. This means that the bullet would literally bounce down the barrel and not be stable. Even if the bullets were the same size, the chamber of the .243 is also larger than the .220 swift, you can't add metal, so you couldn't do it anyway.

Basically what it means, you have to rebarrel. I'm not sure if this is what you want, but it's not cheap, but results in a good shooter. The bolt and action will be fine, without any adjustments at all. Getting a custom barrel can be pretty expensive, you have to pay for the barrel cost, then you will still have to have a good gunsmith chamber it to what you want, thread it, crown it, and they should also headspace it. While I was at it I would probably have the lugs trued up and the action face squared off, so the barrel and action are lined up concentric.

If you're going to get a custom barrel, there is a fair chance that you will probably want it done in AI. I'm not sure if you reload, but if you're going to be shooting ackley cartridges, you have to reload. The .22-250 Ackely will shoot a heavier bullet faster than the .220 swift. There is also the option to get a .220 swift AI that would shoot even faster. Personally, I'd probably go with the .22-250 AI, it's the bigger bullet moving faster, and it still shouldn't burn up barrels quite as fast as the .220 swift. The .220 swift AI, if you're loading to max loads you'll get more speed, but burn up barrels even faster than the .220 swift.

The short answer to your question is, it will need quite a bit of work to get a .220 swift out of a .243. You'll have to get a custom barrel, which are expensive. Sorry that this probably isn't the answer you want to hear, but that's the answer. What kind of speeds are you looking for? You might consider the .243 AI, it doesn't have bad speed, and performs well and consistently. Did you want to varmint hunt with it? I don't know why you'd want a .220 swift just to shoot paper, but correct me if I'm wrong. The .243 AI should still do basically whatever you want on varmints, it's ballistic are MUCH flatter than the .308. Anyway, just some things you should think about. If you wanted to go with a .22-250 AI and NOT spend a ton of money, I'd buy a .22-250 and then you can just have the barrel rechambered, and use your original barrel. I'm not sure what it would cost, just because gunsmith charges vary, but it might be worth doing instead of having a custom barrel (depending on your budget). You would still need to reload. Hope that helps and best of luck to ya.

(Jefferson County)

from his post, I gather he already had a barrel when he stated "a new HB ready to go for a .220 swift". Assuming "HB" was Heavy Barrel.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

oh shoot, I was in a bit of a hurry and missed that. He did say what mods to the "action" would need to be made in order for it to shoot. That would mean that it just as you said knight, it would need to be head spaced properly for that bolt. You could have it and the .243 pinned at the proper headspace and actually have the "switch barrel option". Yep, you got it right knight, just headspace, since they use the same bolt face and both will operate in a short action.

(Cumberland County)

Guys, Thanks for all of the insight. I already own a 22-250 heavy barrel and a .223 HB. I came across a beautiful older Remington 700 stock.. and a great deal on a 220 swift barrel made by Shilen .. So if I could find a short action ( it is cheaper to buy an old rifle than a new action, shell box Ect...) I would be in business. A guy from this forum E-mailed me and said he had an old .243 that he wanted to sell.. So that is the History of this post....

Oh, alright. well if you already lucked into a Shilen and a stock, I wouldn't buy a new rifle to do it either, I'd get a used one. That .243 should work, it's the same action, they have the same bolt face. Just have it headspaced as the barrel is fit and you'll be all set. Have fun and post up some pics of the stuff you blow up with it.