Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default ISP email forum registration?

FYI

Me I don't like to use my ISP e-mail for anything but close friends and family so I generally use gmail for everything else like forum registrations and newsletters and such.

Some forums require a ISP email for registration, what I do is I have a free e-mail account with Juno, who is also a ISP, since it's a ISP my free e-mail account is the same as a ISP email account, Juno doesn't differentiate

That's what I use to register when required for a ISP e-mail account.

You can get one at www.juno.com it's kinda a hassle to begin with since you have to download the program. But you can delete it later and just login off their web page
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

Default Re: ISP email forum registration?

Gmail is much better for free email, plus you get to use their other services. ISP Email is always frowned upon by techs and helpdesk since 1) ISPs are terrible at customer support 2) they just don't care about you 3) webmail has complete lack of features 4) gmail has tons of available plugins for it for various programs.

Quote Originally Posted by tdyoung58 View Post
    FYI

Me I don't like to use my ISP e-mail for anything but close friends and family so I generally use gmail for everything else like forum registrations and newsletters and such.

Some forums require a ISP email for registration, what I do is I have a free e-mail account with Juno, who is also a ISP, since it's a ISP my free e-mail account is the same as a ISP email account, Juno doesn't differentiate

That's what I use to register when required for a ISP e-mail account.

You can get one at www.juno.com it's kinda a hassle to begin with since you have to download the program. But you can delete it later and just login off their web page

Yes, but some forums such as the S&W forum don't allow gmail since it's not a ISP service. The sig forum is another.

I have a gmail account and agree it's much better than the others
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Delaware County)

I'm a member on a ton of forums between guns and gaming and pc help boards and I've never ran into the problem of not being able to use gmail. I do hate using my yahoo & aol account as it TAKES FOREVER to usually get the activation email.

There's also an add-on for Firefox where it generates a email address on the add-ons server for 30min so you can receive activation codes for that time limit and then the account disappears.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Chester County)

Like tdyoung58 said, there are boards that require an ISP e-mail for registration.

If I recall though, once you register, you can edit your email preference. I think I did that for the Sig forum, but since it has been well over a year since I have been there, I have forgotten.

(Chester County)

there are boards that require a "real" email (read: not free).

gmail has something called "gmail for domains" where you buy "pennsyplinker.com" (for example, with go-daddy for $10/year) on your own separately, and then register it with gmail. Then you can make joe@pennsyplinker.com, joseph@pennsyplinker.com, etc. It has the same ad-words down the side, it's just your domain, not gmail's. But you get gmail's wonderful interface, and reliability for free. They just "index" your email for you for adword targeting (just like their own gmail, or just like hotmail or many other free email do).

Forums just have a list of blocked @wherever.com domains they don't accept email from, they don't check @pennsyplinker to make sure it doesn't also use google's services.

The best part is since YOU own your own domain, if google closes shop, or you want someone else to handle your mail (many places do, free with a web hosting package) you can move it. the domain name is yours, not verizon's, not comcast's, not gmail's, not juno's.
    Last edited by MTechnik; June 29th, 2008 at 04:47 PM.