Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Mercer County)

Default Deer pattern advice

I been hunting the same area all week. I took 2 days off (wed-thus) until I got permission from land owner after taking some pafoa members advice. Monday morning I saw nearly 30 deer none close enough for a clean shot, Tuesday I saw 13 deer in the morning 1 that I missed, and 12 deer in the evening. Today I see 5 squirrels, no deer. I don't hear a deer, see a deer, smell a deer nothing. There are no others that hunt there except my buddies who hunt with me. I walked around didn't even kick anything up. Should I go back in the evening or the weekend? Where did all the deer go?

Also I have a hunting technique question. This happened to me 4-5 times this week. I look to my right or left and see a doe staring straight at me lifting it's front leg up and then stomping it repeatedly. Once I move to aim it wheezes and takes off. If I don't move it keeps stomping. What does the stomping mean? How can I get my bow to aim without them running?

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Deer pattern advice

Deer tend to change their habbits as it gets colder. the try to expend less energy feeding and therefore unless they ar pushed they just bed down from morning feeding time till evening feeding time.

As far as the Doe stomping at u and staring. She is trying to get u to make the first move which u did. The stomping and weezing is her warning to the other deer in the area that "Hey there is an intruder in the area"

If u have the option tomove to a different area I would for at least a few days to give them a chance to settle down.

Quote Originally Posted by wakefield724 View Post
    I been hunting the same area all week. I took 2 days off (wed-thus) until I got permission from land owner after taking some pafoa members advice. Monday morning I saw nearly 30 deer none close enough for a clean shot, Tuesday I saw 13 deer in the morning 1 that I missed, and 12 deer in the evening. Today I see 5 squirrels, no deer. I don't hear a deer, see a deer, smell a deer nothing. There are no others that hunt there except my buddies who hunt with me. I walked around didn't even kick anything up. Should I go back in the evening or the weekend? Where did all the deer go?

Also I have a hunting technique question. This happened to me 4-5 times this week. I look to my right or left and see a doe staring straight at me lifting it's front leg up and then stomping it repeatedly. Once I move to aim it wheezes and takes off. If I don't move it keeps stomping. What does the stomping mean? How can I get my bow to aim without them running?

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by wakefield724 View Post

The stomping means it is trying to scare you off. It is what they do when they are trying to protect their young. I've had conversations with experts that focus on predator/prey relationships. They seem to agree that stomping is a good first defense against predators like mtn lions. It can overwhelm their keen sense of vibration and scare them off.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by RBELARDI View Post
    Deer tend to change their habbits as it gets colder. the try to expend less energy feeding and therefore unless they ar pushed they just bed down from morning feeding time till evening feeding time.

As far as the Doe stomping at u and staring. She is trying to get u to make the first move which u did. The stomping and weezing is her warning to the other deer in the area that "Hey there is an intruder in the area"

If u have the option tomove to a different area I would for at least a few days to give them a chance to settle down.
    Thank you good man! I can't explain how appreciative I am of you fellow pafoa members. Infinite very useful knowledge from experts all for free. You guys are awesome. I'll try out another spot I know for a week.

(Dauphin County)

The first time you ever hunt an area will most likely be the best. Deer rely on smell as a first line of defense. Every time you hunt you leave sent and deer pick up on this and know to avoid the area. If you "overhunt" a particular spot you are going to push the deer right out of that area. When bow hunting you need to get these deer within 20 yards. You need to see them before they smell, see or hear you. This is why bow hunting is so fun. Getting them close enough and then being able to get your bow drawn without hem knowing you are there is the challenge of bow hunting. You can never draw you bow or even move a muscle once a deer has spotted you and most likely you will never even see a deer that has smelled you.

Also it is unlikely that you will get a good shot on a deer once it is on "high alert" when it is stomping the front foot or snorting. The key to a good bow shot is to take your shot when the deer is relaxed and unaware of your presence.

Good luck! Steep learning curve the first few seasons. But the more time in the woods hunting with the bow the faster you figure things out. Also forums like this and others specifically about bow hunting are good sources of info.

It's a good point... 2 days in a row in the same spot and then 3 of 5 days probably was too much time in one spot. Too much "pressure."