Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Sig P938 Opinions

Looked at the Sig P938 last night and like the feel. Does anyone here have personal experience with one? I have a W German P228 and had a German P220, both were excellent. How are Sig's latest production guns? Thanks.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Sig P938 Opinions

I have been carrying my P938 Sport for the last year. It comes with night sites, Hogue rubberized grips (which make the gun much more manageable IMO), and 1 flush, and 1 extended mag. Makes for an awesome little carry piece. Combine that with a IWB hybrid holster and it vanishes in my waistband. I've put around 500 rounds through it with out a hiccup. My only gripe is that the right side of the ambi safety has started to rattle a little. It doesnt affect function, just annoying more than anything.

(Lancaster County)

I wanted to love the P938, but the 8 lb trigger pull was intolerable.

(Lancaster County)

I have owned one for about a year and a half now. It has been very reliable and quite accurate. I was not thrilled with the grooves on the trigger. They were irritating. I did replace the trigger with a smooth surfaced one. Much better feel for me. You can also sand down or dremel those ridges off the front of the trigger. See if that bothers you or not. Trigger pull is not an issue at all for me on either my handguns or rifles. I can deal with a heavier or lighter pull. Too light and you could have accidents. Kind of like driving different brands or models of cars. You adjust to the gas and brake of any particular one. You don't try to change the gas or brake feel so they are all the same.

I love mine. Easy to conceal with a IWB holster or a pocket holster. There are many great holsters available for it.

The smaller guns do take a little time to adjust to. Even for as long as I have owned mine, if I shoot a full size handgun and then switch to the P938, it will take a few shots before I adjust to the smaller size and sight radius. Same for my P238. Same thing if you start with a smaller gun and then switch to a larger one. Takes some shots to adjust. For me, finger placement is different on smaller guns versus full size.

You will find some complaints about the gun online. I think many of the issues were when it first came out. SIG did work out some newborn problems. Mine was made early 2013 and it is great. More praises can be found online with the newer ones. Same with any new gun, no matter who made it. Search for complaints about the new Glock 42 .380. Some love it, some have problems.

Also remember that all SIG's are sighted for point of impact or combat sighting. You put the far sight over the point where you want the bullet to hit. Do not use 6 or 9 o'clock images. A lot of people do not understand this and complain about it shooting low.

Overall I think it is a great gun to have. Your results may vary!
    Last edited by vetman03; October 10th, 2014 at 10:21 AM.

(Berks County)

Thanks for the input. I liked the feel with the Hogue grip. My wife preferred the straight grip, but still with the extended mag though. May be 2 in the near future.

(Chester County)

Great little gun. I bought it because of its narrow width and great sights. Mine eats any ammo. I'd prefer checkering on the back strap and a less aggressive treatment on the front. Trigger doesn't bother me, its not a target gun. If I need to use it in defense the trigger won't be a problem.

I've been carrying the 938 Equinox since May. I replaced the trigger and mainspring, which made a huge difference in the way the gun shot. The trigger doesn't bite my finger anymore and the pull is crisp. You still have to mean it when you pull the trigger; it's not 1911 light by any stretch. Perfect for a carry gun.

I also added a set of Hogue grips. The jury is still out on them. They definitely improve grip over the stock set, but the palm swell makes the gun feel wide in the hand. I may get a set of G10 grips or put the old grips back on and add something like Talon Grips.

Either way, the gun is one of my favorites. I pocket carry it more than pretty much any other carry gun I've owned. It just fits really well.

(Lancaster County)

Mine has been good to me. I have the 238 and 938. Like mentioned above, the trigger pull and trigger aren't the best, but it is fixable. I plan on getting smooth triggers for both of mine eventually.

(Allegheny County)

I had the nightmare edition it had jamming issues. I sold it back to the gun shop didn't want to pass on the problems to a private buyer.

(Lancaster County)

Was it one made prior to summer 2013? If so, they were known for jamming. It turns out it was an issue with the recoil spring. Looks like the problem has been resolved completely and early guns with the bad springs can be repaired by just replacing the spring with the new "flat" style spring. Also, Sig recommends 124 grain ammo. I've shot 115 in mine, as have others, and had no issues, but the 124 is supposed to help a little bit with cycling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast