Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default quick ? for visiting pa gun shop (from out of state)

I live in NY on the PA boarder. If I have my unrestricted carry here in NY, and I had to go to a gun smith right over the boarder in PA would I be allowed to lock my gun (unloaded) in my trunk or glove box right before getting into PA then OC from the car to the shop (walking across a parking lot) then when leaving do the complete opposite?

(Delaware County)

Default Re: quick ? for visiting pa gun shop (from out of state)

PA allows vehicle carry directly to/from a range for target shooting, purchase or repair. It doesn't need to be locked up or in the trunk, just unloaded.

You could OC from car to building but once you're in the parking lot it's all the same. Instead of OC... Just put it in a case

Thanks for the quick response, I really did not feel like having to go all the way home and drop my edc off just to have to go back and pick it back up. Tried to send rep but I guess I already sent you some recently and cant right now so +1 to you good sir

If you have an unrestricted carry permit in NY, you can keep the gun on your hip as you drive to the shop and then open carry to the shop as you leave your car.

Quote Originally Posted by olderguy View Post
    If you have an unrestricted carry permit in NY, you can keep the gun on your hip as you drive to the shop and then open carry to the shop as you leave your car.
    See i had been given conflicting info about that based on no reciprocity between NY and PA

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by sgreen10 View Post
    I live in NY on the PA boarder. If I have my unrestricted carry here in NY, and I had to go to a gun smith right over the boarder in PA would I be allowed to lock my gun (unloaded) in my trunk or glove box right before getting into PA then OC from the car to the shop (walking across a parking lot) then when leaving do the complete opposite?
    Only if you park at the BORder, and walk into Pa. Even a Pa. resident can't do what you are proposing. You cannot have a handgun in a vehicle, unless going to or from specific places, e.g. range, without a Pa. LTCF.

Right but my only thing I am doing is going to a gunsmith/shop

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    PA allows vehicle carry directly to/from a range for target shooting, purchase or repair. It doesn't need to be locked up or in the trunk, just unloaded.

You could OC from car to building but once you're in the parking lot it's all the same. Instead of OC... Just put it in a case

The OP didn't say he was taking the gun to dealer for repair. If he isn't, you are incorrect.

§ 6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.

(a) Offense defined.--

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.

(2) A person who is otherwise eligible to possess a valid license under this chapter but carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license and has not committed any other criminal violation commits a misdemeanor of the first degree.

(b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:

(11) Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by olderguy View Post
    § 6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.

(a) Offense defined.--

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.

(2) A person who is otherwise eligible to possess a valid license under this chapter but carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license and has not committed any other criminal violation commits a misdemeanor of the first degree.

(b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:

(11) Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.
    This is the important part here. Since the OP has an unrestricted NY permit he can carry in a vehicle in PA on his NY permit. Once here he would have to Open carry since NY and PA do not have reciprocity. He would also have to avoid Philly and couldn't carry during a state of emergency or within 1000ft of a school just like any PA resident without a LTCF. The gunshop really doesn't have any bearing in this instance as he is covered by his NY permit for vehicle carry.

Edit: I forgot the IANAL.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast